Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why are immigrants hated in this country? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate immigrants but I hate those who come here to basically rob, steal, scavenge through our bins, pickpocket, rape, claim benefits etc. which sadly is not a 'small minority'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    I don't really understand what you're getting at here...I haven't said whether I like or dislike immigrants and I'm not saying we should let everyone in by any means. I have no problem with immigrants who come here to genuinely better their lives, the lives of their families and want to work. I don't like immigrants who come because they know they can get everything free here (unlike other countries in Europe). Either way, genuine or not, there are too many people in this country. So I don't think they should let anymore people in here and it'll be interesting to see what happens when the Romanians are all allowed to come here..
    My point was it makes sense to dislike someone for leeching off you, even if the government permits it.

(Original post by Free.Help)
    Not really. If natives wanted to buy takeaways then why don't they? If they pay the same as immigrants, then there's nothing stopping them? Most simply don't want to, or can't afford it. In the UK working in a fast food job isn't seen as a good job, but to many immigrants it is.
    They do, and have done for ages. But, if you have 20 possible locations for a fast food place (you can't just pop them up everywhere), have 30 natives interested in doing so and 70 immigrants interested in doing so, then you're probably going to end up with 6 native owned and 14 immigrant owned. Similarly for employees - there's a large enough pool of natives, but introduce immigrants and the locals will be pushed out in proportion.

But depending on what their immigration status is, many can't find work or aren't allowed to work! Yes, we should help them take control of their conuntry if they are suffering huge human rights abuse/war torn, but what happen's in the meantime? Where will they go? And the limited housing is mostly Thatchers fault, she brought in right to buy, so people bought their council houses and no more were built, so naturally there will be fewer houses, regardless of immigrants.
    They can stay in their country to fight with help we and/or others are (pretending not to be) giving them.

You can say the housing shortage has always been a problem, but surely you can see that more people, including immigrants, exacerbates the problem?

But people say england is easy to get into, but still complain about them coming here. Every country which can should take in as many immigrants as possible, espcially those from war torn countries. This country isn't doing nearly enough to help these people once they come here, like I said they are treated unfairly and given either the bare min. Or nothing. Most are dying to go back to their home countries but can't, so have to live here and be within the poorest 10% of the population.
    This country's government has a duty to this country's people, same as an immigrant's country's government has a duty to the immigrant's country's people. We can try to fix their government if it's failing to deliver, but we are not obligated to extend our duty abroad.

But foriegn born means nothing. That's nothing to do with immigration. Lots of foriegn born people have lived here since they were 2 years old, and are now citizens, or are mixed race. Foreign born just means people are intergating with other races and many are born with mixed race.
    It's a good marker. If you have figures for how many immigrants came here as adults then feel free to share.

But just becuase it's 'our' country doesn't make it okay to let others suffer and die just becuase it's 'our' land. Human beings should have empathy and compassion, and help others, not turn them away purely becuase they were born somewhere else. And these issues are due to immigration, they are due to our own people messing this country up (i.e. politicans etc.)

It's not chairty to give british people money, but it is to give others? Like I said, it's not human nature to just say, 'I don't care about other dying people, it's not our people so who cares'. Imagine it's your family dying, and someone could help, but stated it's not their problem. There's a reason we have human rights, and to deny someone a life is simply wrong.
    We aren't responsible for the despots who are killing their citizens (well, maybe some of them). It's nice if we help, sure, but we don't have to. Practically, it's impossible to fund our minimum standard of living (whatever that is) for everyone in the world who lives below it, so your argument about helping is all very nice, but it can't happen.

And it is ours, and we look after it. They've got their own place, so they can look after that. You wouldn't buy new TVs for your whole street just because you bought a new one for yourself, would you?

But again, how is this their fault? It's surely the employer who is taking the piss. Many immigrants don't even the min. Wage, so it's the employers who are abusing the immigrants and citizens by breaking the law. So your saying the immigrants in this country shouldn't apply for jobs so their's more for citizens? But they shouldn't get benefits either? They should just live on air? :eek:
    If they can do something that a native can't, then by all means, go ahead and do it. But if they're here competing with Brits then no, they shouldn't be here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~EventHorizon~)
    Well, in my experience as an immigrant, I've found that xenophobia is largely economics/class related. My family are middle class Pakistani's (Dad's a doctor, mum's a teacher) and we've never really experienced any prejudice because we 'contribute to the system'. My friends (all white british, I live in Scotland) have only ever complained about immigration from eastern Europe because they feel eastern europeans are 'benefit tourists' and take a lot of british people's jobs. Don't know how true that is, but either way, that perception is the reason. I think the vast majority of british society has moved beyond crass racism and I doubt thats the reason for dislike of immigration - the issue seems to be largely about jobs, overpopulation etc... which seems fairly reasonable prima facie...
    But like others have stated, it's always the most vulnerable of society who get scapegoated when someone wants to blame for the economic situation, rather than blame the ones whose really at fault, they blame those who can't defend themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    I don't hate immigrants but I hate those who come here to basically rob, steal, scavenge through our bins, pickpocket, rape, claim benefits etc. which sadly is not a 'small minority'.
    I've never heard of an immigrant coming solely to the UK to rape someone, then go off home :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    My point was it makes sense to dislike someone for leeching off you, even if the government permits it.

They do, and have done for ages. But, if you have 20 possible locations for a fast food place (you can't just pop them up everywhere), have 30 natives interested in doing so and 70 immigrants interested in doing so, then you're probably going to end up with 6 native owned and 14 immigrant owned. Similarly for employees - there's a large enough pool of natives, but introduce immigrants and the locals will be pushed out in proportion.

They can stay in their country to fight with help we and/or others are (pretending not to be) giving them.

You can say the housing shortage has always been a problem, but surely you can see that more people, including immigrants, exacerbates the problem?

This country's government has a duty to this country's people, same as an immigrant's country's government has a duty to the immigrant's country's people. We can try to fix their government if it's failing to deliver, but we are not obligated to extend our duty abroad.

It's a good marker. If you have figures for how many immigrants came here as adults then feel free to share.

We aren't responsible for the despots who are killing their citizens (well, maybe some of them). It's nice if we help, sure, but we don't have to. Practically, it's impossible to fund our minimum standard of living (whatever that is) for everyone in the world who lives below it, so your argument about helping is all very nice, but it can't happen.

And it is ours, and we look after it. They've got their own place, so they can look after that. You wouldn't buy new TVs for your whole street just because you bought a new one for yourself, would you?

If they can do something that a native can't, then by all means, go ahead and do it. But if they're here competing with Brits then no, they shouldn't be here.
    Okay, you have your opinion but I strongly disagree. What sort of world would it be if everyone just said who cares about humans dying, it's not in our country so let them burn? I don't really understand how that point can be argued..Yes, okay maybe we don't HAVE to help them, but can you imagine a world where noone cared about anyone? We'd all be dead! During the Holocost, all them millions where killed, and according to you it's not our problem and we shouldn't let them escape the Nazi's becuase they weren't born here. If every country went by that rule, we wouldn't have half the world's population that we do now!

I personally think it's our human duty to help those in danger of dying, and the unemployment/housing/debt issue is maybe slightly worse becuase of immigrants, even though our economy would suffer without them, but we would still have no jobs, huge debt and no council houses regardless, and we'd have a warm fuzzy feeling that we didn't let people die..

ReputationRep:
    Okay, you have your opinion but I strongly disagree. What sort of world would it be if everyone just said who cares about humans dying, it's not in our country so let them burn? I don't really understand how that point can be argued..Yes, okay maybe we don't HAVE to help them, but can you imagine a world where noone cared about anyone? We'd all be dead! During the Holocost, all them millions where killed, and according to you it's not our problem and we shouldn't let them escape the Nazi's becuase they weren't born here. If every country went by that rule, we wouldn't have half the world's population that we do now!
    WW2 is a good example, we kill the Nazis and Europe can rebuild. If we have to, offer people refuge until the war is over, but like the Poles (and others, of course) did, they wouldn't just get a job here and leave their old country, they'd fight alongside the Brits to beat the Germans. If everyone did what you wanted, all of Europe would have hidden in Britain, the Germans would have just laid siege with their U-boats and we'd have starved or surrendered.

I personally think it's our human duty to help those in danger of dying, and the unemployment/housing/debt issue is maybe slightly worse becuase of immigrants, even though our economy would suffer without them, but we would still have no jobs, huge debt and no council houses regardless, and we'd have a warm fuzzy feeling that we didn't let people die..
    People are going to die no matter what, why should we prioritise the immigrant who could afford a ticket here over the one who couldn't? In fact, it ought to be the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    Visit Bradford, Birmingham, Blackburn, Peterborough and Leicester. You'll soon understand.

ReputationRep:
    Alot of uneducated fools think they are here to promote their 'muslamic' laws and 'steal our jobs'.
    No one understands that most immigrants are the ones that work their arses off and are helping the economy, its not like they sit on their chittars and live off of benefits. They work so hard, and it's not fair that people accuse them of coming to Britain for the benefit system.

ReputationRep:
    They are obviously vital for our economy
    "Immigration" is not good for the economy. Highly skilled immigrants such as engineers, scientists, doctors, accountants can be but they are also highly mobile when economic circumstances change. They are also far less likely to be involved in crime.

Low end immigration which has been the vast majority of the immigration into the UK cannot be beneficial. Now it is true that they might work for less than a native but what about the amount that the state spends on NHS, police, public services etc? Each of those immigrants (and his wife and 2+ kids) increase this cost. Not only that but the low end immigrant pays little to no tax. If they are paying tax they aren't minimum wage after all and the whole "keeps wages low" argument falls flat.

Let us do some calculation shall we?

If the average UK salary is £25k (which attracts almost no tax I think) how much are we saving in "wage decrease". Let us be generous and say 30% (but that is laughably high) = £7.5k savings. The UK government spends around £10k per annum per capita. (http://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn43.pdf)

So you are making a loss for each immigrant and we aren't even talking about a foreign bride and multiple kids. Individual companies see a rise in profit but ultimately the "cost" of a low wage earner is taken over by the public purse and we will be stuck with that cost for decades until that immigrants death. Neither are low wage earners are economically mobile. They cannot just move to another country if the economy changes.

The vast majority of immigrants/asylum seekers etc are a cost to the host nation. If we then take into account the increase of race conflict, rape, violent crime etc it is unconscionable that this has been allowed.

EDIT: I should state that I exclude Eastern European immigration from this because they are inherently more mobile (due to the EU setup). Also, being European there is less conflict with them and natives as opposed to non-white immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Cuz dey tuk ar jubz nd ar bene fits. Innit.

I dunno. Probably a lack of understanding and integration between people who live here already and the n00bs to this place.
    Beat me to it. I was about to post the video of "Dey tik our jerbs."

ReputationRep:
    Where is your sense responsibility to all the girls/women that are vulnerable to increased risk of rape due to mass immigration? Did you feel a twinge of guilt about those poor girls that were gang-raped by Pakistani gangs? Gangs who were allowed to do what they want because the police were too afraid to take action because of blind liberals castigating everyone for being racists? If not for mass immigration those horrific events would never have happened.

You have a lot of sympathy for people that are not your own but seem to be either ignorant, or completely apathetic, to the plight of your own people that must suffer for you "feel good policies".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STBUR)
    Where is your sense responsibility to all the girls/women that are vulnerable to increased risk of rape due to mass immigration? Did you feel a twinge of guilt about those poor girls that were gang-raped by Pakistani gangs? Gangs who were allowed to do what they want because the police were too afraid to take action because of blind liberals castigating everyone for being racists? If not for mass immigration those horrific events would never have happened.

You have a lot of sympathy for people that are not your own but seem to be either ignorant, or completely apathetic, to the plight of your own people that must suffer for you "feel good policies".
    The left are absent of morals. That has been clear for decades now.

ReputationRep:
    I think the people that hate immigrants are the 'Jeremy Kyle' type of people who have no jobs, their just hypocrites because they abuse the relaxed welfare system the most!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All immigrants are welcome so long as they don't demand equal recognition for medieval backward ignorant nonsense like sharia law and arranged marriages. YOU RESPECT OUR CULTURE AND LAW IF YOU COME HERE. SIMPLE.

ReputationRep:
    Well for one I hate when a lot of them talk 'Jafaican'; it sounds like such an unintelligent and arrogant way of speaking and completely goes against proper grammar.

Not sure why they feel the need to speak like this.
    I hate it even more when other people start talking like it, who aren't from immigrant backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    No rational person can hate EVERY immigrant in this country, but a rational person can speak out against the problems that inevitabley arise with mass imagaration.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with immigrants coming to this country, as long as they respect our laws and don't come here solely for benefits. There is also no denying that certain parts of the UK have been ghettoised, meaning communities are prodominatley settled by those who come from the same country and/or speak the same language, having no intention of ever integrating with the rest of the community (this can be demonstrated by immigrants who bring their elderly parents over, not speaking nor will ever have the will to learn English).

The vast majority of immigrants respect our laws, integrate with British culture and don't come here for the welfare, i.e., the Polish. But that doesn't mean we can turn a blind eye to those who abuse the right to reside in this country.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly majority of these replies make me very sad indeed

I kind of expect people who are, for want of a better word, uneducated to think like this. But for people who are students, many I'm sure go to great universities such as Durham, Warwick...And this level of ignorance...

I'm not sad becuase everyone doesn't agree with me, and some people have opinions which I don't agree with but can at least understand. But to those people saying they come here for benefits, TO RAPE (!), that they are criminals, that they are someone sub-human?! It is pure and simple racism, you can wrap it up how you like. And I hope I'm not the only one who is disgusted. You don't agree with immigrantion becuase you think it causes problems? Okay (i think it's wrong, but ok). But to actually say that they are rapists and criminals simply becuase they don't come from this country? I hope your parent's are proud, I really do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fellyjish)
    No rational person can hate EVERY immigrant in this country, but a rational person can speak out against the problems that inevitabley arise with mass imagaration.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with immigrants coming to this country, as long as they respect our laws and don't come here solely for benefits. There is also no denying that certain parts of the UK have been ghettoised, meaning communities are prodominatley settled by those who come from the same country and/or speak the same language, having no intention of ever integrating with the rest of the community (this can be demonstrated by immigrants who bring their elderly parents over, not speaking nor will ever have the will to learn English).

The vast majority of immigrants respect our laws, integrate with British culture and don't come here for the welfare, i.e., the Polish. But that doesn't mean we can turn a blind eye to those who abuse the right to reside in this country.
    Your right, I in no way agree with the ones who do come here for benefits, to take advantage and who don't respect our laws. I think it's disgusting. My point is, like your, the number is extremely low of those who do this, and the few who do are held up as the majority, which I feel is sad.

I mean, with the not learning our language thing. Some don't, the one's I personally know do and try very hard (now they have to pay for ESOL classes, how can they afford it? They may not have English friends to teach them). However, the British are infamous for being ignorant about learning another language! We are voted as the worst holiday makers in the world, and when abroad expect other cultures to learn English, and refuse to learn their language.

I know I'd by angry if I judged like this, and state that just becuase some are like this, most aren't. Wouldn't anyone be angry at being judged by a stereotype?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azarimanka)
    All immigrants are welcome so long as they don't demand equal recognition for medieval backward ignorant nonsense like sharia law and arranged marriages. YOU RESPECT OUR CULTURE AND LAW IF YOU COME HERE. SIMPLE.
    I'm not aware of any immigrants coming here and going to the Government demanding the law be changed to Saudi law or whatever :confused:

If you demand they respect our culture, okay, but respect theirs and don't call arranged marriages nonsense, even if you are British, it's not very nice to go around calling every other countries culture 'nonsense'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STBUR)

Is there even any point? I hope you wrote that as a joke, becuase it's not very funny

There are more white pedos than 'easten', so is every white dude a kiddy fiddler? Oh, right it doesn't work the other way around does it? Go vote BNP/Nazi , racist :rolleyes:

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.