Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    no other country in the world would accept the amount of immigration that we do.

the problems caused by asylum seekers and benefit cheats are minimal (most immigrants like you said come here to work and to better themselves), what is more worrying is that people who were born here cannot find jobs because companies are replacing them with immigrants who will accept lower wages. You see it everywhere in all the coffee chains and even in the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halbeth)
    Why the hell does accent matter? Accents are so diverse anyway. I can understand the understanding English thing, 'cause that's a fairly vital function of the job.
    I fully take responsibility for my point of view, it's just my own ignorant prejudice tbh. Sometimes, in fact often times, I just like to hear an English accent and feel like I'm in England. I've often worked in environments where I'm the only English person, and I've felt isolated. It makes me feel at home when I hear an English accent, much like with hearing a Northern accent or Jamaican accent, because my family is Northern/Jamaican. It's just a personal preference, not anything I would expect legislation to be based on

ReputationRep:
    most people are open to the arrival of immigrants.

but some feel that they are taking their jobs etc (which isnt true because they would still have been on benefits in the first place)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuentinMids)
    There isn't a less welcoming country in the world than Saudi Arabia. That country is extremely prejudiced towards non Muslims.
    Nearly 25% of its population are foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halbeth)
    I'm fairly certain this is tongue-in-cheek, but the frightening thing is there are probably some nationalists who agree with this.
    No. It's not tongue-in-cheek.

Why take the risk of facing a rape/sexual assault trial? - particularly if you are a migrant/non-white, if it will affect your reputation, affect your employment, affect visa sponsorship etc. Also if your business language is different to the legal language used in court (quite common for migrants in the Netherlands/Scandinavia) then you may have trouble defending yourself in front of a judge/jury respectively.

Sometimes safety is far more important than sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Telecaster Steak)
    I bet no one would bat an eyelid if a newspaper said that a massive wave of, say, Germans were about to come into the country, it's only because they're "pakis" that people get angry, clearly demonstrating bigotry.
    Romania and Bulgaria are quite far away from Pakistan last time I checked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulMidwife)
    I don't hate immigrants. My maternal grandmother was an immigrant, came to this country when she was 9 years old.

What I can't STAND, however, is non-integration or PC culture. And sometimes, I just want to work with people who have an English accent, or converse with people who understand English.
    Why should a guest worker be expected to 'integrate'. They are migrants who have specifically moved for work purposes. There is for example, no obligation to 'integrate' beyond abiding by local laws if you move to the United Arab Emirates for work, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Nearly 25% of its population are foreigners.
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say you don't know about why that is, or how those immigrants are treated. It's the same in the UEA aswell. These people who are let in are treated like dirt, payed a wage that they can barely live on and shipped back to their country of origin a few years later. It's almost slavery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    no other country in the world would accept the amount of immigration that we do.

the problems caused by asylum seekers and benefit cheats are minimal (most immigrants like you said come here to work and to better themselves), what is more worrying is that people who were born here cannot find jobs because companies are replacing them with immigrants who will accept lower wages. You see it everywhere in all the coffee chains and even in the NHS.
    All of the Gulf States, the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, France, Germany, Nederland, Spain and Austria accept more as a proportion of their populations than the UK does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lation_in_2005

ReputationRep:
    i dont think they're hated by many people just that the people who disagree are the loudest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say you don't know about why that is, or how those immigrants are treated. It's the same in the UEA aswell. These people who are let in are treated like dirt, payed a wage that they can barely live on and shipped back to their country of origin a few years later. It's almost slavery.
    It's quite easy to use the internet to find out what salaries, expenses etc. will be. If conditions were that horrible then people would not apply and demand to move to the Gulf would be very weak. Whilst you may hear stories of maltreatment, I doubt that the majority of expatriates there are treated in that manner. Word would get around quickly and very few people would go.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite easy to use the internet to find out what salaries, expenses etc. will be. If conditions were that horrible then people would not apply and demand to move to the Gulf would be very weak. Whilst you may hear stories of maltreatment, I doubt that the majority of expatriates there are treated in that manner. Word would get around quickly and very few people would go.
    Educate yourself.

http://www.echr.org.uk/wp-content/up...in-the-UAE.pdf

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-worker-deaths

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...t-mistreatment

http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/publis...2ef32a4,0.html

ReputationRep:
    I did not deny that there was maltreatment. Quite evidently alot of foreign workers are aware that there is or could be maltreatment, but are willing to take the risk to earn a fast buck.

ReputationRep:
    Because they somehow manage to both simultaneously take our jobs and lounge around on benefits.

*I'm sure someone else in this thread has already made this observation*

ReputationRep:
    I did not deny that there was maltreatment. Quite evidently alot of foreign workers are aware that there is or could be maltreatment, but are willing to take the risk to earn a fast buck.
    Actually, the majority are unaware of the treatment they will recieve once they get there. Much like many of the illegal immigrants to this country are unaware of what they will be subjected to once they arrive. These people are most often from poor, starving areas and they have little choice but to do this work, lest their families starve, hence why so much money is sent home.

Anyway, the original response was because you made the claim that 25% of the workers in Saudi Arabia being migrant workers that somehow this meant they were not treated very badly.

ReputationRep:
    most likely they are just desperate for any money at all...so are exploited by companies/bussinesspeople who don't want to pay the minimum wage (which by the way is illegal, rather than hating the immigrants who are just trying to y'know, LIVE and ****, we should be going after people who don't pay minimum wage and who don't give proper terms and conditions and such...)

ReputationRep:
    Actually, the majority are unaware of the treatment they will recieve once they get there. Much like many of the illegal immigrants to this country are unaware of what they will be subjected to once they arrive. These people are most often from poor, starving areas and they have little choice but to do this work, lest their families starve, hence why so much money is sent home.

Anyway, the original response was because you made the claim that 25% of the workers in Saudi Arabia being migrant workers that somehow this meant they were not treated very badly.
    People who are truly desperate tend not to be able to finance long-distance travel. They tend to end up (in the near-term) in the slums/impoverished areas of their own countries. E.g. Most impoverished refugees from the civil war in Somalia only made it to Ethiopia or Kenya, rather than to say, South Africa or Germany.

A country being open to migration and offering migrant workers special treatment are very different things - e.g. 19th century USA was very open to migration and settlement, however there wasn't any nationwide social security system in place to assist migrants who took risks which did not pay off.

ReputationRep:
    Did you actually read the sources I presented you?

ReputationRep:
    Did you actually read the sources I presented you?
    Yes- the 2 in the Guardian

ReputationRep:
    Yes- the 2 in the Guardian
    Read the studies aswell, it will only take you 5 minutes.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.