Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Welcome, was thinking there was only 2 of us before you came!. How did Jan results go?
    Well there's another page for dentistry 2014 applications so maybe people are posting in that one instead. But I decided to post in both as applying for dentistry is all that's really on my mind at the moment

January results went well, I only had one exam which was Economics and I got an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle.Alice)
    Well there's another page for dentistry 2014 applications so maybe people are posting in that one instead. But I decided to post in both as applying for dentistry is all that's really on my mind at the moment

January results went well, I only had one exam which was Economics and I got an A
    Ouch, didn't know there was another thread. Can mods merge them?

And really well done, that's a great result!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Yep, i know exactly what my weaknesses were. There was a 10 mark question I got wrong, that dropped me down to a low B instantly, and then must have lost a few marks from there. Got about 51-ish raw mark, out of 72
    Yeah exactly if you get those big questions wrong the grade boundaries are so tight!
    You'll be fine glad there is another person doing edexcel maths!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    If only there were 2 dentist hopefuls hahaha!! I think I've posted in both but not sure
    How much work experience have you guys had? I'm a bit worried I won't have done enough :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandraa)
    Yeah exactly if you get those big questions wrong the grade boundaries are so tight!
    You'll be fine glad there is another person doing edexcel maths!

I'm doing OCR Maths. All exam boards are quite similar tbh anyway... Hopefully, you'll be good in C1 as well, in all of Maths hopefully
    If only there were 2 dentist hopefuls hahaha!! I think I've posted in both but not sure
    How much work experience have you guys had? I'm a bit worried I won't have done enough :/

Haha, yeah I wish there was In terms of work experience for me:
    -2 weeks at I.T firm (bit random I know)
    -1 week at GP's Surgery
    -1 week at Dental Practise

Then hopefully some at a Old People's home. How about you? And what have you guys done for extra-curricular? For me:
    -CREST Science Award
    -Islamic Relief volunteer
    -DofE Bronze (doing that now)
    -MedEx scheme
    -Young Apprentice final stages of interviews

Pretty much it, not much as I need to boost it

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing OCR Maths. All exam boards are quite similar tbh anyway... Hopefully, you'll be good in C1 as well, in all of Maths hopefully

Haha, yeah I wish there was In terms of work experience for me:
    -2 weeks at I.T firm (bit random I know)
    -1 week at GP's Surgery
    -1 week at Dental Practise

Then hopefully some at a Old People's home. How about you? And what have you guys done for extra-curricular? For me:
    -CREST Science Award
    -Islamic Relief volunteer
    -DofE Bronze (doing that now)
    -MedEx scheme
    -Young Apprentice final stages of interviews

Pretty much it, not much as I need to boost it
    Oh sorry I assumed C1 was only edexcel! Oh well well I've had a few days at a dental practice but hopefully I should get some more and a few days in a GP surgery
    I work at a care home once every 2 weeks, a cooking school during holidays, a nursery once a month and at rainbows once a week I also have learnt how to knit and sign language so a diverse mix really! I just need to get more work experience and people on tsr scare me when they are like "you need 3 weeks minimum" I'm like omg what on earth?! Because I see it more as quality of work experience rather than quantity and its sooo hard to get placements

ReputationRep:
    Oh sorry I assumed C1 was only edexcel! Oh well well I've had a few days at a dental practice but hopefully I should get some more and a few days in a GP surgery
    I work at a care home once every 2 weeks, a cooking school during holidays, a nursery once a month and at rainbows once a week I also have learnt how to knit and sign language so a diverse mix really! I just need to get more work experience and people on tsr scare me when they are like "you need 3 weeks minimum" I'm like omg what on earth?! Because I see it more as quality of work experience rather than quantity and its sooo hard to get placements

Yep ignore those people, they are clueless tbh. Your W/E is really good, it shows you are determined and Uni's especially like the fact you are doing it consistently as opposed to a chunk of it, that's what I want to do as well I've tried getting some at a Cosmetic Dentist/ Orthodontist but it is really hard!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    x
    x
    Okay so I'm not applying for dentistry but I thought I'd just let you know - people may be telling the truth when they say unis have a minimum work experience requirement... For example, I just looked on Newcastle Uni's dentistry webpage, and it says:

"Work experience: All applicants are required to have undertaken a minimum of two weeks' dental work experience prior to submitting their UCAS application. This should be carried out in a General Dental Practice, but other types of dental work experience may be considered."

Do your research, and get loads whilst you still have time

ReputationRep:

So far I've only done one week at a GDP for work experience and a day with a community dentist. However I have another week at a GDP booked for Easter and a day in maxillo facial during summer.

I also volunteer once a week at a care home and have helped teach ballet

ReputationRep:
    Yep ignore those people, they are clueless tbh. Your W/E is really good, it shows you are determined and Uni's especially like the fact you are doing it consistently as opposed to a chunk of it, that's what I want to do as well I've tried getting some at a Cosmetic Dentist/ Orthodontist but it is really hard!
    I've managed to get half a day at an ortho in Easter, yeah I think getting really varied work experience is quite good too because you can see all the different aspects. Also do you count a week as 5 days or 7?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suncake)
    Okay so I'm not applying for dentistry but I thought I'd just let you know - people may be telling the truth when they say unis have a minimum work experience requirement... For example, I just looked on Newcastle Uni's dentistry webpage, and it says:

"Work experience: All applicants are required to have undertaken a minimum of two weeks' dental work experience prior to submitting their UCAS application. This should be carried out in a General Dental Practice, but other types of dental work experience may be considered."

Thanks for letting me know!

ReputationRep:
    So far I've only done one week at a GDP for work experience and a day with a community dentist. However I have another week at a GDP booked for Easter and a day in maxillo facial during summer.

I also volunteer once a week at a care home and have helped teach ballet

That's so cool! Will you get to watch the surgery at maxfax?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suncake)

Wow thanks. I'll have to check all the Uni's websites now. Thanks for the heads up though!!

ReputationRep:
    That's so cool! Will you get to watch the surgery at maxfax?

I don't know, I guess I'll find out on the day

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I guess I'll find out on the day

I think it's really diverse! Hope you have fun

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, another hopeful dentist here!
    Im doing the IB course haha, a little different to other applicants, don't know why I'm putting myself through it
    Work experience is an issue for me too, going to hopefully try everywhere this month!

ReputationRep:
    Im another one too! need more work experience, wish i could do DofE silver and Gold but my current sixth form only offers bronze which i have already done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulSoul)
    Hey guys, another hopeful dentist here!
    Im doing the IB course haha, a little different to other applicants, don't know why I'm putting myself through it
    Work experience is an issue for me too, going to hopefully try everywhere this month!
    (Original post by exams567)
    Im another one too! need more work experience, wish i could do DofE silver and Gold but my current sixth form only offers bronze which i have already done!
    Hey guys. What subjects do you study?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. What subjects do you study?
    I do the IB course so I do:
    Higher Level: Bio, Chem, and History
    Standard Lever: Maths Studies, Spanish, English

hows all preparation going for dentistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulSoul)
    I do the IB course so I do:
    Higher Level: Bio, Chem, and History
    Standard Lever: Maths Studies, Spanish, English

hows all preparation going for dentistry?
    Not the best, Jan results were very dissapointing so need to start revision and smash summer! You?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.