Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Who else finds being referred to as 'mate' really rude and offensive? Watch

(Original post by Insecurities)
    i cant be the only one who thinks this. whenever i get called 'mate' i find it very rude and offensive. usually in the gym someone asks 'have you got many sets left mate?' or 'are you using that equipment mate?'. i've been getting called mate by people who have served me in shops and bus drivers. i find it an offensive term to be referred by. i'm not sure but i do. who else feels this way?
    Be offended by it all you want, just dont go lashing out coz its perfectly acceptable to call someone "mate". Just thank your lucky nuts that you dont live in a place called Wales. The people there call themselves "butt" which means the same as mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadeannalis)
    Unexpected and unneeded question I think.
    True, but the same could be said for almost anything.

(Original post by jadeannalis)
    Answering posts on a laptop, blogging via phone app and making toast is quite a juggling act tbh. So yes, trying. Its hard toasting under the grill and getting the right colour.
    Ahh, so a grill was involved. Now it makes more sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insecurities)
    i cant be the only one who thinks this. whenever i get called 'mate' i find it very rude and offensive. usually in the gym someone asks 'have you got many sets left mate?' or 'are you using that equipment mate?'. i've been getting called mate by people who have served me in shops and bus drivers. i find it an offensive term to be referred by. i'm not sure but i do. who else feels this way?
    I don't see how it's offensive however I can understand if you are uncomfortable with how informal it is if you don't know the person.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.