Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I sold an item on eBay a few weeks ago and posted it on the 11th of Feburary. Today I recieved a message from the seller saying that it hasn't arrived yet.

I've been on the eBay help section and still don't really understand what I'm supposed to do. It's only been three weeks- should I suggest she wait a bit longer and then offer a refund if it doesn't turn up in a week or so? And is there any way I can get my money back from the Post Office?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!

Edit: It wasn't recorded delivery or anything but I have proof of postage.

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened to me. Is the buyer in within the UK? Although that doesn't matter. I suggest you download a form from the royal mail website where you need to fill in all the information regarding the missing item. I also suggest you photocopy the proof of postage slip as royal want the original sent and the form. When sending off your missing claim also get a proof of postage of this. Since this has happened to me i'm leaving nothing to chance.

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/defau...ril%2012_0.pdf

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me too! And Royal Mail didn't even pay me back the money I was down, they sent me a pack of 12 first class stamps to say sorry! Which are still unused because I rarely post anything that you would need stamps for, it's all parcels. I wasn't a happy bunny!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweetpanda)
    Same thing happened to me. Is the buyer in within the UK? Although that doesn't matter. I suggest you download a form from the royal mail website where you need to fill in all the information regarding the missing item. I also suggest you photocopy the proof of postage slip as royal want the original sent and the form. When sending off your missing claim also get a proof of postage of this. Since this has happened to me i'm leaving nothing to chance.

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/defau...ril%2012_0.pdf

Hope that helps.
    (Original post by JessWeston)
    This happened to me too! And Royal Mail didn't even pay me back the money I was down, they sent me a pack of 12 first class stamps to say sorry! Which are still unused because I rarely post anything that you would need stamps for, it's all parcels. I wasn't a happy bunny!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, do you have any idea of what I should say to the buyer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deadwing)
    Edit: It wasn't recorded delivery or anything but I have proof of postage.
    Explain this for me please.

The only proof of postage is recorded/signed for delivery. The reciept you get at the Post Office isn't worth anything. Paypal and Ebay will side with the buyer and you'll be forced to issue a refund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Explain this for me please.

The only proof of postage is recorded/signed for delivery. The reciept you get at the Post Office isn't worth anything. Paypal and Ebay will side with the buyer and you'll be forced to issue a refund.
    Yes it's a receipt from the Post Office.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's a receipt from the Post Office.
    When you say you've got proof of postage they'll ask for the tracking number, standard receipts don't have one so you'll be screwed. They do have a code on but that's not worth anything. You also need the address you posted to printed on the receipt.

How much is the item itself worth?

Everything I post that's worth more than £10 gets recorded delivery every time now, too many ********s around. Paypal and Ebay are *******s as well.

ReputationRep:
    When you say you've got proof of postage they'll ask for the tracking number, standard receipts don't have one so you'll be screwed. They do have a code on but that's not worth anything. You also need the address you posted to printed on the receipt.

How much is the item itself worth?

Everything I post that's worth more than £10 gets recorded delivery every time now, too many ********s around. Paypal and Ebay are *******s as well.
    It's not worth much, only about £2 so I guess it's just more annoying than anything.

ReputationRep:
    It's not worth much, only about £2 so I guess it's just more annoying than anything.
    That's good then, I'd just take the loss and be grateful it wasn't something expensive.

Even with recorded delivery you can get scammed though, I know of someone who sold a £300 jacket, posted it, the buyer said it didn't fit so returned the package and inside they'd replaced it with a cheapo jacket worth about a tenner.

If you're really annoyed you could of course do the above if the buyer sells something on Ebay, get someone to buy it then swap it round and post it back

ReputationRep:
    Ask the buyer to go check with their neighbours and also their local sorting office, it may turn up

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the above, also, if you posted it on the 11th of February, if you can draw the process out until 13th March it'll have been over 30 days and they can't do anything then.

ReputationRep:
    For £2! Thought it was alot more £££. Like the above said side step it draw it out for another week. Thing is you will get back feedback if you do. Refund perhaps? Or send a replacement.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of refunds, can someone please tell me what happens if the same thing happens with Amazon? Because I ordered a book a few weeks ago from there and it still hasn't come. (By the way, it was just an Amazon seller that sold the book, not Amazon itself.)

ReputationRep:
    This is why I always send my items by recorded/signed for delivery, that way I know if they're lying to me or not if they tell me they haven't received the item (there are scumbags out there that will lie just to get their money back). You should have got a piece of paper from the Post Office that says "proof of postage" or something on the bottom, they give me one every time I post something. I think the best thing you can do is, if you have it, scan the proof of postage and show it to the buyer to prove you sent it.

It's never happened to me so I'm sorry I can't be that helpful! :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Even with recorded delivery you can get scammed though, I know of someone who sold a £300 jacket, posted it, the buyer said it didn't fit so returned the package and inside they'd replaced it with a cheapo jacket worth about a tenner.
    I've heard of that happening, was anything done about it? If they sold something to them they must know where they live so they could report them to the police, surely?

ReputationRep:
    Refund the buyer immediately, then after the period that Royal Mail ask you to wait apply for compensation. Form has been posted above. It's a bit long but 3 weeks after sending off the form I got some stamps back (which were worth more than my item by ~20%).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    I've heard of that happening, was anything done about it? If they sold something to them they must know where they live so they could report them to the police, surely?
    On what evidence? You can't prove anything. Such a scummy thing to do to someone though. All you can do is keep your eye on their Ebay account and hope they list something for sale on Ebay, then buy it under a different account and do the same to them. Stick a pube in it as well or something for added revenge.

Last bit isn't serious.

A little serious.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at the buyer's feedback to see if they regularly, don't receive items? Just for your own interest really.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.