Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Top ten must see films? Watch

ReputationRep:
    God father Part I, Training Day, Pulp Fiction, Shrek I, I Am Legend, Lizzie Macguire the film. Don't quote me.

ReputationRep:
    -Gladiator
    -Bourne (all three, Legacy dosent count)
    -LOTR
    -Taken
    -Kingdom of Heaven
    -Shawshank Redemption
    -Shindlers List
    -The Matrix (only the first one)
    -The Great Escape
    -Indiana Jones (all three)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    Pay it Forward
    love that film! not many people know it though!

ReputationRep:
    1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Amazing adaption of the book, and Logan Lerman and Emma Watson :proud: were perfect in it :teehee:

2. The Crucible - I don't know why but I really hate the book (I love books but this was just ) but I loved the movie, and i've seen it twice since watching it in english.

3. Harry Potter - Enough said, it's just wow

4. Bend it like Beckham - Seen this twice because it was on Sky movies and I had nothing to do and it was amazing!!

5. Taken (first and second movie) - Really good movie, also I found out my friend is related to Liam Neeson

6. 2012 - Aaah, action films at their best

7. Schindler's List - Love this so so much, my english teacher introduced me to this

8. Noah - Only wanted to see it because of Emma Watson, but it turned out to be amazing

9. Frozen - Hehe :P

10. The Hunger Games - Amazing movie, the books are amazing too

- A few more -

The Golden Compass, Nim's Island, Warm Bodies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    love that film! not many people know it though!
    Pay it forward is amazing, we watched it in school in year 11, the ending though

ReputationRep:
    Philomena

A very well made movie. Poignant and moving moments yet manages to be funny too. Coogan is so good in this. He steals the show. Judy Dench gave a stellar performance too. 8.5/10

Sent from my HTC One

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a-spiringmedic)
    1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Amazing adaption of the book, and Logan Lerman and Emma Watson :proud: were perfect in it :teehee:

2. The Crucible - I don't know why but I really hate the book (I love books but this was just ) but I loved the movie, and i've seen it twice since watching it in english.

3. Harry Potter - Enough said, it's just wow

4. Bend it like Beckham - Seen this twice because it was on Sky movies and I had nothing to do and it was amazing!!

5. Taken (first and second movie) - Really good movie, also I found out my friend is related to Liam Neeson

6. 2012 - Aaah, action films at their best

7. Schindler's List - Love this so so much, my english teacher introduced me to this

8. Noah - Only wanted to see it because of Emma Watson, but it turned out to be amazing

9. Frozen - Hehe :P

10. The Hunger Games - Amazing movie, the books are amazing too

- A few more -

The Golden Compass, Nim's Island, Warm Bodies
    Every film is amazing? Lol good for you

I thought 2012 was utter tripe. Taken was good - check out Man from Nowhere which is a Korean movie similar to taken. I think it's better.

Frozen was fun and had catchy songs. Not sure it's a classic though.

Sent from my HTC One

ReputationRep:
    Pulp fiction
    The Godfather
    Let the right one in
    A prophet
    A room for romeo brass
    lord of the rings
    django unchained
    The shawshank redemption
    The matrix
    Apocalypse now

ReputationRep:
    Narrowing this down to 10 films was so difficult! But I'd have to go with:

1. In the Mood for Love
    2. The Wind Rises
    3. Spirited Away
    4. Love Exposure
    5. Battle Royale
    6. Let the Right One In
    7. House of Flying Daggers
    8. Million Dollar Baby
    9. Suspiria
    10. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

ReputationRep:
    Rather than go for a favourite 10, here's a random stab at 'must see' films for each decade since the 40's (and no, I wasn't around for the early ones). Obviously lots of terrific films have missed the cut, and this type of list could easily be repeated multiple times:

1940's - Citizen Kane, honourable mention to It's a Wonderful Life
    1950's - Some Like it Hot, honourable mention to 12 Angry Men
    1960's - Psycho, honourable mention to 2001: A Space Odyssey
    1970's - The Godfather, honourable mention to (so many to choose from) ... Alien
    1980's - Blade Runner (could easily have picked one of three Harrison Ford films), honourable mention to Back to the Future
    1990's - The Matrix, honourable mention to American Beauty
    2000's - The LOTR trilogy (I will cheat and count them as one), honourable mention to The Dark Knight
    2010's - Obviously too early to have any real perspective on the current decade, but let's go with Inception as an early pacesetter.

As there's no animated movie in the list, let's throw in The Incredibles. And as there's no sports movie in the list, let's add Bull Durham.

ReputationRep:
    The big lebowski
    The godfather (1&2)
    Blow
    Donnie darko
    Fight club
    12 angry men
    To kill a mockingbird
    The matrix (first one)
    The wolf of Wall Street
    Django unchained

And probably all of the Disney Pixar movies besides cars2 and planes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Rather than go for a favourite 10, here's a random stab at 'must see' films for each decade since the 40's (and no, I wasn't around for the early ones). Obviously lots of terrific films have missed the cut, and this type of list could easily be repeated multiple times:

1940's - Citizen Kane, honourable mention to It's a Wonderful Life
    1950's - Some Like it Hot, honourable mention to 12 Angry Men
    1960's - Psycho, honourable mention to 2001: A Space Odyssey
    1970's - The Godfather, honourable mention to (so many to choose from) ... Alien
    1980's - Blade Runner (could easily have picked one of three Harrison Ford films), honourable mention to Back to the Future
    1990's - The Matrix, honourable mention to American Beauty
    2000's - The LOTR trilogy (I will cheat and count them as one), honourable mention to The Dark Knight
    2010's - Obviously too early to have any real perspective on the current decade, but let's go with Inception as an early pacesetter.

As there's no animated movie in the list, let's throw in The Incredibles. And as there's no sports movie in the list, let's add Bull Durham.
    Nice approach! I particularly love the honorable mention of 12 Angry Men. One of my favorite films ever.

BUT, 40s should have been The Third Man. Much better movie than Citizen Kane (which imo is a bit overrated, I didn't find it that enjoyable to watch).

ReputationRep:
    Since this says "must see" and not "best" I will choose films that from my preferences one should see:

Honorable Mention: Some Like It Hot - Monroe, Curtis and Lemmon in an incredible film, if you haven't seen it you can't call yourself a film lover.

Leon the Professional (young Natalie Portman and Jean Reno, quality)
    The Dark Knight
    The Blind Side
    The Third Man
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Godfather
    The Intouchables (in French but I urge everyone to watch, extremely funny and emotional, based on a true story)
    Once Upon a Time in the West (representative of all Westerns)
    Silver Linings Playbook

Now I left out a lot that are "better", but I think for pure enjoyment these are higher. E.g. Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Oldboy, Fight Club, Memento,The Silence of the Lambs, just to mention a few of the top of my head, are all superb films, but I think some of the above are more "feel good", if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    1.sha**** redemption
    2. Blood diamond
    3. cast away
    4. Titanic
    5.10 years a slave
    6. Race

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcasticMel)
    Since this says "must see" and not "best" I will choose films that from my preferences one should see:

Honorable Mention: Some Like It Hot - Monroe, Curtis and Lemmon in an incredible film, if you haven't seen it you can't call yourself a film lover.

Leon the Professional (young Natalie Portman and Jean Reno, quality)
    Yep, Some Like it Hot is an absolute classic, as you can see it was my choice for the 1950's and really should be on everyone's 'must see' list.

Leon's a great film and could easily have made my 'honourable mention' choice for the 1990's.

Great picks.

ReputationRep:
    The Shawshank Redemption
    12 Angry Men
    The Apartment
    Gladiator
    Rear Window
    Jaws
    Star Wars (the original trilogy)
    Ben-Hur
    Toy Story
    Philomena

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugs31)
    The Shawshank Redemption
    12 Angry Men
    The Apartment
    Gladiator
    Rear Window
    Jaws
    Star Wars (the original trilogy)
    Ben-Hur
    Toy Story
    Philomena
    I like it. A lot.

ReputationRep:
    In no particular order, off the top of my head:

White Chicks
    The Usual Suspects
    Training Day (OR ANYTHING WITH DENZEL WASHINGTON IN. Denzel is THE MAN.)
    Finding Nemo
    The Matrix
    Inception
    Toy Story
    American Gangster
    Law Abiding Citizen
    Addams Family

Generally, I love films. I'll watch them all, but my main love is action. Watch anything with De Niro, Denzel Washington and Gerard Butler in. They never disappoint!
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Reporter Team
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    1.Ice Age (1,2,3 & 4)
    2.The Lorax
    3.Fantastic Fear of Everything
    4.Bruce Almighty
    5.Star Wars (4,5,6)
    6.Hot Fuzz
    7.Paul
    8.Bride Wars
    9.Horton Hears a Who
    10.Night at the Museum 2

ReputationRep:
    Lion King- I don't think I have met anyone who hasn't seen it.
    Also:
    The Princess Bride
    Groundhog Day
    Schindler's List
    Forrest Gump
    Saving Private Ryan
    American Beauty
    The Sixth Sense
    A Beautiful Mind
    Amelie (classic)
    The Shawshank Redemption
    I would have added more but it said only 10 so...
    And just because it's so well-know, White Chicks. And Toy Story

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.