Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I’ve had a lot of issues recently which have resulted in me quitting school and basically ending up stuck doing nothing with my life.
    It’s given me a lot of time to think about what I’m into however, and I realised that from an early age I’ve always been into making a statement, often through style.

I don’t particularly know loads about the history of fashion and all that, but I really want to start reading into it. I just don’t think I’ve really had anyone to motivate me to do it. No one that I’ve known has ever really been into fashion; in fact a lot of people I know don’t really respect the culture. I guess the lack of respect shown by peers made me feel hesitant also.

I would really like to talk to people with this interest because I don’t even know where to begin! It would be nice to share some common grounds with some people, especially since a lot of my friends are guys whose hobbies are going to the gym and like to think they’re ‘lads’ ;D

I’m going to post this on a couple forums and I really hope for some response of people! Whether it’s just advising me to get started or whether someone would mind having a little discussion with me, introducing me to the culture.

Thank you!
    Jess

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fashion or style expert so I'm not 100% sure on which is the best direction to go in, but perhaps I can try to offer some help, haha! Perhaps you could apply to some Fashion Colleges? My boyfriend's sister goes to one in London, but I'm sure there are more local courses that are easier to get to.

ReputationRep:
    I've only ended up with AS's :/
    and for a lot of fashion courses you need a portfolio I'm pretty sure
    My problem basically is I don't wanna be in education, but later down the line when I've had a break from it I think I'm going to consider it.
    My brothers ex did a fashion course in london as well! haha

ReputationRep:
    Well, can you make clothes? I know a few people that have started their own businesses on facebook by making clothes and taking orders over the internet then moved on to having their own store.

ReputationRep:
    Not a total fashion expert and tbh not a huge fan myself but doesn't mean it should stop you!

If you feel this is the beginning of a 'right path' then I say go for it! I've been told there are other ways other than the A Level route to University/College/Courses etc. You'll just need to do your research. If you like/love this choice of yours then go for it! Don't let anyone stop you even if people shun the idea. Because at least you'll be studying something you enjoy rather than going through something you're not and wasting your time.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it sounds like you really don't know what to do

Problem is: Fashion is a highly competitive field and no one in fashion likes a newbie who just started a career because 'she seems to like it'. I'm sorry if I sound a bit rude but you'll encounter this sooner than later. For a career in fashion (especially if you don't want to study it) you have to really love it with all your heart. You'll have to be prepared to not earn money for a while (unpaid work experience!) and even if you've got a foot in the door you won't earn a lot.

I can only tell you this: look for internships in different fields. Maybe a smaller fashion mag (and I'm saying really small - don't even consider Vogue or InStyle) or a newspaper with a fashion editor. Maybe look at theatres - they always need unpaid help and you'd be able to work with costumes.

I wish you the best of luck! You'll need all of it

ReputationRep:
    @hvh I can make clothes and just a small business where I could sell them would be a good idea! I've seen all these facebook things but I just need to build up the confidence to start really, and I'm not 100% sure how to get a page known. I'm going to do my research though!

@mangadreams yeah! people shunning it is really what's put me off for all these years, but I've realised It's something I'd love to do, even if not as a job, just as a hobby cause I know it's hard to get into. Really I need to push myself into studying it myself.

@arina162 Yeah I know it is :P and I know they wouldn't. I wouldn't even think of going into even trying to get into the career until I've studied it more. I'm more into self study though, and I just wanna know what the best resources to fuel that would be? Even if I don't earn money it's something I enjoy, earning money from it would just be a bonus. I assume i couldn't really even get a small internship anywhere at the moment? could i even volunteer in theatres? I didn't know that! .

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.