The Student Room Group

DForen Psy (Forensic Psychology Doctorate) Nottingham

Scroll to see replies

Aw that's cool! Well done :smile: I haven't heard back from them yet so as far as I know I'm still on the reserve list.

I don't think that could've been me because my interview was at 10am!

Good luck on the course :biggrin:
Reply 21
Ah okay then, wasn't sure if it was you or not!

Thank you hun, I hope you hear back soon with good news too! :smile:
Has anyone just heard back from them regarding an offer? I received an e-mail last night saying the status of my application had been updated, so I looked thinking it would be a no, but it was an offer! Chuffed to bits.
Reply 23
Yes, turns out I have been offered a place too! Really wasn't expecting one and now in a bit of a tizz trying to work out what I am meant to do next in terms of placements and things!!! The course admin people will be sick of me come September!
Original post by stf*
Yes, turns out I have been offered a place too! Really wasn't expecting one and now in a bit of a tizz trying to work out what I am meant to do next in terms of placements and things!!! The course admin people will be sick of me come September!

Ha! Do you mean work experience placements? Have they given you any tips? It's so hard to find anything relevant! I've been in a tizz trying to find housing at such short notice. Still, so happy to have got an offer :smile:
Reply 25
Hey guys, iv been offered a conditional place on the top up, need to get a merit in my master I'm doing now. I'm so excited though and trying to sort placements out too. Are you both doing the three years?

A
Original post by amy0790
Hey guys, iv been offered a conditional place on the top up, need to get a merit in my master I'm doing now. I'm so excited though and trying to sort placements out too. Are you both doing the three years?

A

Yep I'm doing three years! When you say placements I'm hoping you mean the 100 days of work experience... I'm getting all paranoid about not having enough work experience, but I think you can do it in the first year.
Reply 27
I think the 1st year is different to what I'm doing. I will only be in uni two weeks a year and the rest of the time ill be on placement.
Ah yeah that's true. That'll be my second and third year, but first year is the masters course, which you've already done.
Reply 29
Hi,

I'm looking at applying for the 2 year top-up course this year.

Does anyone know if we need to submit a research proposal as I seem to see different answers everywhere. Also what does the interview and test consist of?

Any help would be appreciated!:smile:
Hi, I'm currently studying Psychology at Undergrad and hope to progress onto the Forensic Psychology Doctorate. Can anyone tell me the ratio of applicants and how many people get onto the course? Thanks :smile:
Apparently for the Sept 2013 intake for the 3 year course in Nottingham there were 6 applicants to every place. There are approximately 10 or 12 places available on the course, and then the same number again for just the masters component.
Thank you. Are there many students who progress onto the masters for the doctorate direct from studying the BSc? Also what sort of experience is required?
Yes there are people who do. I did.

Ideally you'd have experience which has been supervised by a chartered psychologist, so for example an Assistant Psychologist role is ideal. However, this kind of experience is difficult to find before you start the course as some people won't take you seriously, and AP positions are extremely competitive. You can always wait to gain your 100 days of work experience during your masters, but obviously this will add to your overall workload.
With Assistant Psychologists role being extremely difficult to get into, are there any other job roles or any type of experience which is relevant for this course? Cheers
Probably working in a prison psychology department under the supervision of a psychologist, or with a private consultant. Basically anything where you'll be supervised by a chartered psychologist. Unfortunately it's pretty tricky to get a psychologist to supervise you and take you seriously until you're on a masters or phd course, but just keep emailing and pestering and you'll get somewhere eventually. You'd be offering free labour after all :smile:
Reply 36
Hi all,

I've applied to do the 3year doctorate programme starting in September 2014. How are you all finding it ?

My status is still "pending decision" and I'm starting to get a little worried that this is a bad sign ? Should I be (worried I mean) ? About when last year did you hear that you were successful in getting an interview ?

I would really appreciate any information/ reassurance/ guidance you can give me.

Thanks so much
Reply 37
Hello, I've applied to the 3 year doctorate programme and haven't heard anything either way either so don't worry you're not alone! From looking at old forums about this course it seems people hear about an interview around this time (early march) so I guess it's just a case of hanging in there. Best of luck!
When I got on the course I only heard at the very end of June so don't hold your breath!
Reply 39
Hi,
I've also applied for the 2014 intake but for the top-up part time program. My application is also pending. Has anyone received an interview date yet?

Judging by the older posts, it seems that interviews were sent out early march last year so I too am a little worried!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending