Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How do you pick yourself up when you're feeling down? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you do to make yourself feel better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Eat and watch back-to-back episodes of the Inbetweeners.

One could never get tired of Neil

ReputationRep:
    Eat

ReputationRep:
    Music. There's always one out there that describes how you're feeling. Also, I like having time to think..long walks, gym...soon talking to someone helps,being around my family also makes me feel better

ReputationRep:
    Sleep

ReputationRep:
    It can be hard when you're feeling low but look at all the positives in your life, do something you like doing or make your self look forward to something, it gives you a focus, other than being down

ReputationRep:
    Go for a walk with my dog, or baking :P

ReputationRep:
    Go to church.

I'm kidding...

ReputationRep:
    Go running. Cheers me up no end .

Also, happy music.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Music. Music. Music.

Oh and a cuppa. A cuppa never seems to fail. Sweet and milky.

ReputationRep:
    Put on the happiest, cheeriest music I can find, rant to my friends, maybe have a little cry, exercise, eat! Just, not all at once.

ReputationRep:
    When I'm feeling really low, I'll cry a bit and then go to sleep.
    Sometimes warm, comforting food helps.
    Or I'll listen to (sad) music and go for a walk.

ReputationRep:
    Reading my bible or if you're not of the religious orientation, going to the gym helps.

ReputationRep:
    I eat all the pies, chocolate and french fries

ReputationRep:
    Watch a happy film/TV episodes, bake, rant to friends/see friends you haven't seen in a while, escape from your usual surroundings for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    What do you do to make yourself feel better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have developed a whole system!...

1) Firstly, either go for a walk or work out. If I'm at home, this means taking my dog on a long trek across the fields for an hour or two. I walk slowly, try to loosen up, get lots of fresh air. If I can't do that for whatever reason, I work out for a bit, at least 30-40 mins of hard work.

If I'm at home, cuddling my dog never fails to make me feel better. One look at his cute little face is enough to make me forget about my problems for a while!

2) I take a shower (I find slightly cold showers help improve my mood - don't ask me why, I have no idea), do my hair and makeup, wear something nice. Listen to my music as I do this, take my time. I admit that this sounds shallow, to use makeup etc to make myself feel better, but it really is a good way to cheer yourself up. I personally find it hard to be happy when I catch sight of myself in the mirror and realise I look like crap. Also, doing your makeup slowly and perfectly (instead of rushing it as I usually do in the mornings!) is really therapeutic.

3) Go food shopping, then spend a long time cooking a nice, healthy meal. I know junk food can be comforting, but I personally always feel worse after eating chocolate or crisps. A healthy meal makes me feel much better!

4) Do something productive or relaxing, usually for me this is doing homework, reading a book, drawing. If I'm feeling better by then, I'll also try and talk to people - even if I just text a friend, chat in class or call someone, it's a boost to hear someone happy to hear from you.

5) Get a good night's sleep. Before I go to bed, watch some nice TV or read, and take a long time taking care of my skin, moisturising and stuff. I find it really calms me, it's quite therapeutic somehow.

9 times out of 10, I will feel much better if I work my way through these steps. There are those odd days when nothing but crawling back under the duvet is even possible - but that's very rare. I can usually manage to cheer myself up again! I definitely recommend trying these steps, who knows - if they work for me, I guess they could work for you. :yes:

TL;DR...
    I think the most important things for me are:
    Making myself feel good with nice makeup/hair/clothes
    Working out
    Music
    My dog
    Reading/drawing/working
    Healthy food
    Sleep

ReputationRep:
    cuppa tea and watch the big bang theory. bazinga!

ReputationRep:
    Working out like a mother****er

ReputationRep:
    eat, sleep, sulk, think what the worst scenerio is, then the best, go on the trampoline, loung around
    by now about 10 days have passed, then i start something

ReputationRep:
    I find that playing video games until all my concentration goes into whatever is going on in cyberspace really helps me to get out of my head. It's a little bit addictive, but there are far worse things to be addicted to.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.