Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How old were you when you first got depression? Watch

• View Poll Results: How old were you when you first got depression?
    13 or under
    31.71%
    7.32%
    12.20%
    12.20%
    12.20%
    4.88%
    0%
    2.44%
    4.88%
    0%
    23 or over
    4.88%
    Not sure/Null vote
    7.32%

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if it affects people of a certain age more than others.

ReputationRep:
    I recall being miserable for pretty much as early as I can remember. I first wanted to kill myself when I was 11 so I'd say that's about the time things got really bad. I'm 24 now and still struggle with depression.

ReputationRep:
    I put 16, this was when it started to get really bad. Started self harming and the like. It's still bad at 23...

I was about 16 when I first noticed the symptoms, but because I didn't seek help for it properly until a couple of months after I'd turned 18 (other than talking to teachers/friends/school counsellors a few times and once a GP), I wasn't diagnosed with it until then (I'm now 19).

When I look back now, it's been happening for really long. I guess my case is a bit different as I'm bipolar. Never really noticed it and thought it's just a bad mood. Just recently that episodes of depression became extremely severe and I feel so bad during them. I have no idea how do you guys live with depression for so many years? It must be so tiring and difficult

ReputationRep:
    I put 15 as that was when I first really picked up on it, but I didn't get help for it until I was 16. Though when I think about it even at a younger age I suppose I felt it a bit, just didn't have a name for it. I remember being about 9/10 and trying to explain to my mum that I just felt sad all the time and I didn't know why.

ReputationRep:
    14 was the first time i felt depressed in my life and idea of killing myself occured to me. But i dont consider it to be proper depression, coz it wasnt THAT bad and i overcame it very quickly. It wasnt til i was 17, almost 18 til i genuinely became depressed and started to feel trapped, hopeless, inferior and generally hated everything about myself and my life and had a genuine desire to just end my life. It wasnt til i was 19 till i overcame it and then it hit me again really bad shortly after i overcame it when i went off to uni. It wasnt til after my january exams til i overcame properly, so quite recently. Occasionally i do feel deppressed, but i think im skilled enough to not let myself fall in that hole again, since i overcame it completely on my own.

ReputationRep:
    roughly around the age of 13 I would say, it was during secondary school, which I hated every second of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    In my opinion, it could hit anyone, sooner or latter...
    And for any reason.

'Healthy' people should always resolve their conflicts and get over issues from their past, I developed it at 23 and most of it was down to being bullied at school and having an unhappy home life growing up.

ReputationRep:
    About 7/8.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.