Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Yes, of course that's what I think :rolleyes:

Don't be a presumptious ****, I didn't say that. It just appears that most girls with "standards" don't walk around half naked on a night out.
    I know many who do. Recently waearing short skirts and small tops is fasionable and that is why many girls are wearing them. It doesn't meant that they are going to go home with a different guy every night.

ReputationRep:
    there are so many sterotypes on this thread it is not even funny

ReputationRep:
    It's all about evolution and conditioning.

The evolution argument goes like this: Men can reproduce as many times as they like (within reason). One fertile man can make a few women pregnant per day if he wishes (assuming the women are happy with this). But it's physically impossible for a woman to get pregnant and reproduce more often than once every nine months. Her eggs are more precious than the man's sperm - she doesn't produce as many. Also, she has to nurture the foetus and presumably look after the baby once it pops out. Therefore, she is more fussy about choosing someone who is going to be a good father and provider, or who has good genes to pass on.

Of course, this is a hugely generalised account of the whole thing. I don't believe we consciously look for someone with good genes, but it does explain why the majority of women don't like the idea of promiscuity as much as the majority of men. There is also the nature / nurture debate (conditioning) - are women just less promiscuous because it's less acceptable? I think it's a bit of both, like most of these things.

The danger with the evolution explanation is that it gives people an excuse to have a go at any woman who has consensual sex with someone she hardly knows, whereas men get away with it all the time because they have to "sow their seeds".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trousers)
    It's all about evolution and conditioning.

I don't believe we consciously look for someone with good genes, but it does explain why the majority of women don't like the idea of promiscuity as much as the majority of men.
    Isn't it strange though, that women and men go for mates that look scarily alike to them?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting fact I thought I would throw in. Did you know that women are most attracted to men who smell like their dads. It is something to do with pheromones showing the immune system. Women go for men who smell like their dads because the immune system is different from their own but will work because there dad is still alive.

This is all according to this chemical Review magazine we get at school.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.