Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

First time insurance quotes - website vs phoning Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I just bought my first car, a 1.6L Diesel 2005 Ford Focus. Kinda excited...Kinda the most nervous I've ever been - haven't been driving for a while and was never that good in the first place!!

Anyway, I'm looking around on confused.com, gocompare and the Admiral site for insurance. Admiral has easily come out tops for me. However, as first time drivers, is there any benefit to calling up the company and giving them the same details over the phone that I've put into the website? I'm not really bothered about quibbling over an odd £20, but if phoning could save me more £ than that then I might be bothered to - I'm not really a massive fan of phoning up big companies!

What dy'all reckon? Do first time drivers get better insurance offers by phoning up?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't think phoning would get you a cheaper quote. Couple of tips for Admiral though:
    Say you park the car in the street (for some odd reason it makes it cheaper than when you park it in the garage).
    If you can, add up to 3 named drivers who have been driving for 15+ years but make sure they've had no accidents or convictions in the last 5 years (preferably female drivers).
    Also try the same quote with Elephant. It's the exact same company but their quotes can vary for some reason.

(Original post by Elwyn)
    Also try the same quote with Elephant. It's the exact same company but their quotes can vary for some reason.
    They have different compulsory excess charges.

ReputationRep:
    I tried it last time I renewed and was given exactly the same quote as I'd got online. The person on the phone could just have been putting my details into the same website for all I know.

That said, if you phone up you can say "can you do it any cheaper?" Better still if you can say you've got a cheaper quote from elsewhere. Nothing to lose by asking.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Elwyn,

I just thought I'd have a look at Moneysupermaket too. And it asked me some slightly different questions from confused.com and its lowered my Admiral quote by £100!

1) By accepting their higher market value interpretation of the car rather than the lower cost I bought it for it knocked £60 off! Is it OK to go with their valuation? it does say that the value of the car will be assessed independently at the point of accident.

2) By saying I parked it on a road it knocked another £40 off, haha (thanks!).

I've already added my mum and my flatmate which really helped. I don't think I know anyone else I can put on, unfortunately.

Elephant is about £20 higher - any opinion on which is the better company (Even though they're the same)???

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LovelyCharlotte)
    Thanks Elwyn,

I just thought I'd have a look at Moneysupermaket too. And it asked me some slightly different questions from confused.com and its lowered my Admiral quote by £100!

1) By accepting their higher market value interpretation of the car rather than the lower cost I bought it for it knocked £60 off! Is it OK to go with their valuation? it does say that the value of the car will be assessed independently at the point of accident.

2) By saying I parked it on a road it knocked another £40 off, haha (thanks!).

I've already added my mum and my flatmate which really helped. I don't think I know anyone else I can put on, unfortunately.

Elephant is about £20 higher - any opinion on which is the better company (Even though they're the same)???

Thanks for your help
    Going with their valuation won't matter.

Do you need your flatmate on there? Have you tried it without them? If they are young and haven't been driving for 10-15 years I should imagine it would make the quote more expensive.

I'm currently with Elephant and have had no problems, they're always friendly on the phone. When my renewal came round it was £800 but after checking with Admiral they only wanted £500! Elephant matched it no problem as they're the same company but apparently it's a little trick they pull all the time so make sure you check with Elephant/Admiral when it comes to renewing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    Going with their valuation won't matter.

Do you need your flatmate on there? Have you tried it without them? If they are young and haven't been driving for 10-15 years I should imagine it would make the quote more expensive.

I'm currently with Elephant and have had no problems, they're always friendly on the phone. When my renewal came round it was £800 but after checking with Admiral they only wanted £500! Elephant matched it no problem as they're the same company but apparently it's a little trick they pull all the time so make sure you check with Elephant/Admiral when it comes to renewing.
    Yeah adding my flatmate on helped bring it down. She's been driving a 18 years. She has a speeding ticket from about 4 years back which isn't ideal but I still think she helps more than not. Mum has had her license for decades but doesn't currently drive. I'm a mature student so am not subject to the absolute financial horror of getting insurance if I was 17/18.

It's nice to hear that Elephant are OK - I'm hoping the same from admiral. I imagine as they're the cheapest on the market they might get a bit awkward when trying to claim through them - wanting to keep their profits high etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    I tried it last time I renewed and was given exactly the same quote as I'd got online. The person on the phone could just have been putting my details into the same website for all I know.

That said, if you phone up you can say "can you do it any cheaper?" Better still if you can say you've got a cheaper quote from elsewhere. Nothing to lose by asking.
    Yeah that's what I thought. If anything it would cost more by phoning them because of the overheads. I imagine they've got a good understanding on first time driver premiums though so doubt i'd have much room for manoeuvre. Can imagine this would be an option come renewal though?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I thought. If anything it would cost more by phoning them because of the overheads. I imagine they've got a good understanding on first time driver premiums though so doubt i'd have much room for manoeuvre. Can imagine this would be an option come renewal though?

Thanks
    You might still be able to knock it down a bit, you don't know unless you try. All you've got to lose is a few minutes of your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    You might still be able to knock it down a bit, you don't know unless you try. All you've got to lose is a few minutes of your time
    True, true

ReputationRep:
    Yeah adding my flatmate on helped bring it down. She's been driving a 18 years. She has a speeding ticket from about 4 years back which isn't ideal but I still think she helps more than not. Mum has had her license for decades but doesn't currently drive. I'm a mature student so am not subject to the absolute financial horror of getting insurance if I was 17/18.

It's nice to hear that Elephant are OK - I'm hoping the same from admiral. I imagine as they're the cheapest on the market they might get a bit awkward when trying to claim through them - wanting to keep their profits high etc.
    I'm currently with admiral and they've been pretty good. The only issue I've had is when we needed to change one of the cars on our multicast policy and what they wanted to charge was more than if we took out a new policy with them. But as I was only a few months in I decided to cancel and start a new policy. This would be something to look out for around renewal time.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to Admiral over the phone and they dropped the price to about £150 cheaper than what I had been quoted online. I would say do a quote on confused.com then admiral will prob ring you the next day to ask if you're interested. Then you can talk to them and see what they can do.

Also, before this year I've always been with Quinn, and every time I had to renew I'd call them instead of just accepting the renewal quote, and they'd usually drop between £50-£100 off the price if I sweet talked them

So yeah, in my experience it's definitely a good idea to get an online quote and then speak to them on the phone too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I just bought my first car, a 1.6L Diesel 2005 Ford Focus. Kinda excited...Kinda the most nervous I've ever been - haven't been driving for a while and was never that good in the first place!!

Anyway, I'm looking around on confused.com, gocompare and the Admiral site for insurance. Admiral has easily come out tops for me. However, as first time drivers, is there any benefit to calling up the company and giving them the same details over the phone that I've put into the website? I'm not really bothered about quibbling over an odd £20, but if phoning could save me more £ than that then I might be bothered to - I'm not really a massive fan of phoning up big companies!

What dy'all reckon? Do first time drivers get better insurance offers by phoning up?

Thanks
    I would try both. Internet quotes are cheaper a lot of the time, but with phoning up you can haggle etc (for example saying you have a cheaper quote elsewhere- even if you dont).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.