The Student Room Group

Sex without condom

My boyfriend wants to have sex without a condom. I am now on the pill, so a possible pregnancy doesn't worry me. Sexually diseases do. My bf has never selpt around, just had a girlfriend before me and everytime he has had sex he always used a condom. Still, I asked him to get tested (both of us) before and make sure that the both of us are clean. He agreed and that's what we are planning on doing.

So, if I am on the pill, we both get tested, and he has never had sex without a condom before, how high are the chances of getting some sexually trasmitted diseases? would you do it?

thank you in advance!
Reply 1
If you both get tested for STIs/STDs and the results are negative...there isn't really a chance of getting an STI. You are right to propose that both of you get tested even though you're both sure you're free from STIs, it's the responsible thing to do. So yes, I'd do it and don't think you have anything to worry about.
Reply 2
We made the same transition after condom sex for 3 months. I was well established on the pill. We both had a quick check at a clinic too, even though we actually gave each other our virginity.

With no history of any STIs you will be absolutely fine as well. You can look forward to that amazing natural feeling. It somehow makes the whole experience so much better.
Reply 3
STIs don't magically appear if two people have sex, one of them has to have something before the other can catch it from them.

Reasons for continuing to use condoms anyway include..

.. you don't have to trust that he's not being sexual with other people without telling you (and the same for him too!)

.. the tests won't cover everything - it's unlikely you'll be tested for HPV, for example.
Reply 4
You need to get the FULL STD screen:
HIV (types I and II and the p24 antigen)Chlamydia
Gonorrhoea
Syphilis
Hepatitis B
Ureaplasma
Mycoplasma
Herpes (I and II)
Hepatitis C
Trichomonas
Gardnerella
And you should get tested regularly....but using condoms will still give you better protection.
Reply 5
The last time I looked, in the UK, a variety of things mean that unless you pay, a typical straight person without symptoms will get offered HIV I testing and Hep B vaccination for the viruses, and Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea and Syphilis for the bacterial ones. There needs to be a reason (including saying 'Here's the money, I don't need it' or 'I do IV drugs' or 'I lick gay men's bottoms') before the NHS will test for Hep C or offer the vaccination for that, for example.
Original post by mythtakes
If you both get tested for STIs/STDs and the results are negative...there isn't really a chance of getting an STI. You are right to propose that both of you get tested even though you're both sure you're free from STIs, it's the responsible thing to do. So yes, I'd do it and don't think you have anything to worry about.

This, unless he cheats.
Original post by ushausha
We made the same transition after condom sex for 3 months. I was well established on the pill. We both had a quick check at a clinic too, even though we actually gave each other our virginity.

With no history of any STIs you will be absolutely fine as well. You can look forward to that amazing natural feeling. It somehow makes the whole experience so much better.

If you were both virgins and had only slept with each other, then going to get checked for STI's was such a waste of time/effort/NHS money. I spluttered as I read that. You are beyond safety conscious and paranoid!! Did you think your bf had cheated on you? Why bother getting tested for STIs (which you catch from unprotected sex) when all you had ever had was protected sex with a former virgin!
Reply 8
So, clearly everyone needs to weigh up their own level of risk aversion. But in my opinion one needs to keep a degree of perspective. Sex is as old as the hills and we haven't yet all died of sexually transmitted diseases. Plus we still chose to drive to drive despite the inerrant risks. So I would say with a partner you reasonably trust, a few months with condoms and the STD checks the NHS can offer, then you have reduced risk to a pretty low level.
Remember(1) pre *** can also contain sperms (2) for precum you never get any warning it leaks as you stroke while having intercourse hence your saying that precum cam outside is very childish (3) When you take ipill the female reproductive system is upset so some irregular bleeding takes place (4) since bleeding has taken place chances of pregnancy are remote.(5) but when in doubt do not waste time take a simple pregnancy test instead of worrying and beating around the bush stained with your precum.
Original post by Agile Traveller
Remember(1) pre *** can also contain sperms (2) for precum you never get any warning it leaks as you stroke while having intercourse hence your saying that precum cam outside is very childish (3) When you take ipill the female reproductive system is upset so some irregular bleeding takes place (4) since bleeding has taken place chances of pregnancy are remote.(5) but when in doubt do not waste time take a simple pregnancy test instead of worrying and beating around the bush stained with your precum.

How does this answer the question?
Plus, thats not how the pill works. You shouldn't get irregular bleeding on the pill and bleeding in itself does not mean there is less chance of pregnany since on some forms of hormonal contraception many women don't bleed at all.
Reply 11
I've suffered from irregular cycles for years so why take the risk. If it goes wrong you could end up with an unwanted pregnancy or having your partner go through a termination, either choice isn't good when all your after is good sex.

May I suggest you have a look at a range of condoms that give greater feel or even female condoms. Me and my partner regularly use products from mycondom.co.uk. Great site as they have good choices of contraception, have much cheaper prices than stores and its delivered free discreetly to my door!
Reply 12
Original post by vk kapoor
I've suffered from irregular cycles for years so why take the risk. If it goes wrong you could end up with an unwanted pregnancy or having your partner go through a termination, either choice isn't good when all your after is good sex.

May I suggest you have a look at a range of condoms that give greater feel or even female condoms. Me and my partner regularly use products from mycondom.co.uk. Great site as they have good choices of contraception, have much cheaper prices than stores and its delivered free discreetly to my door!

But all forms of contraception have associated risks and none are 100% effective. There's no right or wrong form of contraception - it is entirely personal choice and what you think suits you best.

Quick Reply

Latest