Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

He wants to do it without protection Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I am on the pill. He is my first boyfriend and he's just dated one girl before me, never slept around. Even though he has never had sex before without a condom, I still asked him to get tested (both of us) to make sure that we are clean before having sex without protection and just relying on the pill. He agreed to get tested.

Now, would you guys do it? do you think it's safe? after both of us getting tested and being on the pill as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as long as you take your pills properly and don't miss them.

ReputationRep:
    If you both come out clean and you're using contraception then I can't really think of anything more that you could do to make it safer, so if you're comfortable with the idea of having sex without a condom then go for it.

If, however, you're still not comfortable despite this then don't force yourself to go through with it - just because you haven't got a 'reason' for not wanting to doesn't mean you should. Don't let your boyfriend force you into anything you don't want to do - if he really loves you then he'll understand.

But to reiterate, if it's just STDs/pregnancy that you're concerned about then I reckon you should be fine, kudos for being responsible enough to take the steps that you have - not everybody does.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah of course, you're on the pill and you've both been tested. A lot of women and men prefer not using a condom (obviously once you're both in a stable relationship) Go for it! (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carly93)

do you think it's safe? after both of us getting tested and being on the pill as well.
    (Original post by milienhaus)
    Yes, as long as you take your pills properly and don't miss them.
    I agree, nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - so long as you get tested, and you're both faithful.

ReputationRep:
    Both my cousins were conceived on the pill even though the pill was taken properly. It's not 100% so you have to be prepared for what you'd do if you became pregnant. It's only a slim risk but a risk you will be taking. Could you afford a baby? Would your boyfriend stick by you? Are you prepared for consequences? Would your family be happy about it?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Totally safe, as long as you don't mess up your pills. You should maybe get yourself a pill sorter just to be sure, or mark the pill packets so you know how many you've taken.

In answer to the question, I'd do it, as long as we were both tested

ReputationRep:
    There is no 100% protection against pregnancy.

Don't go foolishly believing there is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    Both my cousins were conceived on the pill even though the pill was taken properly. It's not 100% so you have to be prepared for what you'd do if you became pregnant. It's only a slim risk but a risk you will be taking. Could you afford a baby? Would your boyfriend stick by you? Are you prepared for consequences? Would your family be happy about it?
    The risk is not significantly different to using condoms or any other form of contraception. Nothing is 100% even have your oviducts tied :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gummibaerchen)
    The risk is not significantly different to using condoms or any other form of contraception. Nothing is 100% even have your oviducts tied :eek:
    Yeah I know just saying that nothing is 100% unfortunately. When I was still on the pill I used condoms alongside it because I just didn't trust it cos too many people I know fell pregnant on it

ReputationRep:
    I am actually in the exact same situation. Both of us are gonna get tested and I am on the pill as well... but comments like this

(Original post by iJess)
    Yeah I know just saying that nothing is 100% unfortunately. When I was still on the pill I used condoms alongside it because I just didn't trust it cos too many people I know fell pregnant on it
    makes me worry and makes me feel a bit paranoid about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahotaru)
    I am actually in the exact same situation. Both of us are gonna get tested and I am on the pill as well... but comments like this

makes me worry and makes me feel a bit paranoid about it
    You can go through life worrying about the 'what if's' or you can get on with it and take it as it comes (quite literally).

ReputationRep:
    it,s safe n don't worry about it...

ReputationRep:
    As said above, you should be fine providing you are good with your pill and take it at more or the less the same time everyday, and don't forget! When my boyfriend and I decided to stop using condoms I forced him to talk about the 'what ifs' as well, because I wanted to know where he stood if something happened, might be worth having that chat too to feel reassured!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    Yeah I was on the pill and really paranoid so used condoms as well. Pretty sure even if I was a virgin and had no ovaries I would be freaking out thinking I was pregnant every month

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but what is the actual point of being on the pill if you are in a stable relationship, and using condoms as well? It defeats the purpose. Nothing is 100% but the pill is pretty damn near it if you take your pills right and back it up with condoms should you have an illness or be on additional medications that negate its affects.

ReputationRep:
    The pill isn't 100% effective, but even with getting yourself sterilised they only say 99%+, not 100%. But it is a method of contraception and a very effective one if you take your pills as you are meant to. My sister was on the pill for several years before she got her implant and she's never had issues, and I'm on it now and haven't had any thus far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaslug77)
    Sorry but what is the actual point of being on the pill if you are in a stable relationship, and using condoms as well? It defeats the purpose. Nothing is 100% but the pill is pretty damn near it if you take your pills right and back it up with condoms should you have an illness or be on additional medications that negate its affects.
    Well I was on the pills to control my periods so that was the point of me taking the pill with condoms. I'm on the implant now

ReputationRep:
    Yes its safe but if like me you forget to take your pill then get the implant it means you dont have to remeber to take a pill and you are still protected

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.