Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I've just started looking at foundation courses at Uni's and I'm finding it a little confusing. I'm about to finish my AS levels (maths,physics,chemistry,economi cs) and I am hoping to find a foundation course at uni that can be completed in a year so that I can start uni. I've tried looking for maths courses but haven't had much success, can anyone tell me whether it would be possible for me to join a foundation course for maths with AS levels only and where. Any advice on what the course is like doing would be greatly appreciated
    thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    Foundation courses are traditionally for those with inappropriate A-level subjects for the course they wish to study, or in some cases, for those with grades too low to gain direct entry. They are not a replacement for the A2 year. If you want to apply for Maths degrees, you would be better off finishing your A-levels, and, if possible, taking up Further Maths in your A2 year (as FM applicants have a much higher chance of receiving offers than those without FM)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathaddict)
    Foundation courses are traditionally for those with inappropriate A-level subjects for the course they wish to study, or in some cases, for those with grades too low to gain direct entry. They are not a replacement for the A2 year. If you want to apply for Maths degrees, you would be better off finishing your A-levels, and, if possible, taking up Further Maths in your A2 year (as FM applicants have a much higher chance of receiving offers than those without FM)
    Thank you for the quick reply but you say it's not traditional implying it would be possible, I really don't want to finish A2. My choice for foundation courses could also be chemistry if that makes the possibility of being able to go greater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adamking297)
    Thank you for the quick reply but you say it's not traditional implying it would be possible, I really don't want to finish A2. My choice for foundation courses could also be chemistry if that makes the possibility of being able to go greater.
    You are looking for a foundation year, not to be confused with a foundation degree.
    It is possible, but it would be advisable to finish your A2 year instead. A foundation year is very intense, so if its that aspect of A2 that you want to avoid, you can't.
    Here is a list, look through them and see if you meet the requirements:
    http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...=0&button1.y=0

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'm not 100% sure about the requirements, it might be worth contacting the relevant foundation admissions teams for informed advice. I do know that foundation years work almost like "fast-track" A Levels, so even if you were accepted onto a course, you would spend the first term repeating what you have learnt already in your AS. I know some departments at top universities are also sceptical of the content covered in a foundation year, as A Levels are more likely to provide you with broader, in-depth knowledge, making you a more rounded candidate.

I'm not sure what your motivations are for choosing a foundation year over the A2 year, but I have to warn you that you would be limiting your options if you were to pursue it. What if, for instance, you completed a foundation year for Mathematics, but then decided you want to study Biomedical Sciences, but can't because your Foundation course is focused on Maths and Physics? Alternatively, what if you go to X University for your foundation year, and then decide you want to progress to a degree at the University of Y, but they don't accept that your course fulfills their requirements? Either of these scenarios are avoided by sticking to A Levels.

Sorry if you feel this is negative, but you have to ensure you don't make a decision which you later regret!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathaddict)
    To be honest I'm not 100% sure about the requirements, it might be worth contacting the relevant foundation admissions teams for informed advice. I do know that foundation years work almost like "fast-track" A Levels, so even if you were accepted onto a course, you would spend the first term repeating what you have learnt already in your AS. I know some departments at top universities are also sceptical of the content covered in a foundation year, as A Levels are more likely to provide you with broader, in-depth knowledge, making you a more rounded candidate.

I'm not sure what your motivations are for choosing a foundation year over the A2 year, but I have to warn you that you would be limiting your options if you were to pursue it. What if, for instance, you completed a foundation year for Mathematics, but then decided you want to study Biomedical Sciences, but can't because your Foundation course is focused on Maths and Physics? Alternatively, what if you go to X University for your foundation year, and then decide you want to progress to a degree at the University of Y, but they don't accept that your course fulfills their requirements? Either of these scenarios are avoided by sticking to A Levels.

Sorry if you feel this is negative, but you have to ensure you don't make a decision which you later regret!
    Thanks for the advice, means a lot. I guess I'll have to make a big decision!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I've just started looking at foundation courses at Uni's and I'm finding it a little confusing. I'm about to finish my AS levels (maths,physics,chemistry,economi cs) and I am hoping to find a foundation course at uni that can be completed in a year so that I can start uni. I've tried looking for maths courses but haven't had much success, can anyone tell me whether it would be possible for me to join a foundation course for maths with AS levels only and where. Any advice on what the course is like doing would be greatly appreciated
    thanks so much.
    I was in the same situation as you, I didn't want to finish my A2's. I would rather leave home and be independent. I'm 23 and feel too old for college.

I emailed 10 unis to see if there was any point applying. The only one that said yes was Hull. . . I now have a conditional offer (BBB at AS) for chemistry with foundation year at Hull.

So depending on your age/grades and with some persuasion it can definitely be done.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.