Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi Folks,

I was wondering if there is anyone on here who could give me some advice. I'm due to start my degree in September at the age of 32. I was wondering if there is an expiry date as such on Post 16 Assessments for Dyslexia? I have been told polarised information from people. I had my assessment done when I was 19, and most people have told me that this is valid for life and the report will be fine for my DSA claim (The DSA form itself just asked if I was assessed Post 16) however, some folk have also told me that I may have to have another assessment. Don't get me wrong, if I have to have another one, then that is fine with me, but it would seem like a waste of money, it is not as if you can cure Dyslexia as such. Thanks in advance for you're help.

ReputationRep:
    Provided it was done post 16 it should be fine, however it may beneficial to get an up to date assessment which may help to identify your needs now.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I was thinking that to be fair, but in all honestly, I think all my needs are in the assessment I had one when I was 19. I can't see a new assessment coming up with anything different.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick update. I received confirmation that they have approved my application for DSA, based on a twelve year old psychological assessment I had done when I was nineteen..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Just a quick update. I received confirmation that they have approved my application for DSA, based on a twelve year old psychological assessment I had done when I was nineteen..
    That's good! saves you the bother of arranging another one and makes sense. Hope you have a good time at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rose-star)
    That's good! saves you the bother of arranging another one and makes sense. Hope you have a good time at uni
    Thanks Rose Star . I'm just waiting for my paperwork to come through from SFE, and then I can order my equipment. Not sure how long this next bit takes though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Rose Star . I'm just waiting for my paperwork to come through from SFE, and then I can order my equipment. Not sure how long this next bit takes though.
    From what I've heard from other people it is pretty much all go from here so you should hear back pretty soon!
    Enjoy Uni life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlahBlaBlahBla)
    From what I've heard from other people it is pretty much all go from here so you should hear back pretty soon!
    Enjoy Uni life!
    Thanks bud. Roll on September

ReputationRep:
    Got my Assessment results back today. They say that I'm entitled to a Laptop, Scanner, Printer, MS Office, Inspiration 9, Franklin Speaking Dictionary, Olympus DM-670, three years of warranties, 1-1 tuition at 1 hour a week, and a decent photocopying/Consumables/Book allowance. I have to say I'm over the moon about the things that I have been approved for, and it will help get me onto a level playing field for my studies.

ReputationRep:
    Got my Assessment results back today. They say that I'm entitled to a Laptop, Scanner, Printer, MS Office, Inspiration 9, Franklin Speaking Dictionary, Olympus DM-670, three years of warranties, 1-1 tuition at 1 hour a week, and a decent photocopying/Consumables/Book allowance. I have to say I'm over the moon about the things that I have been approved for, and it will help get me onto a level playing field for my studies.
    Can I just point out that your report details the recommendations made to your funding body to provide funding for these strategies. Its not an entitlement and the funding body can disagree with the assessors recommendations. If your funding body agree to the recommendations, they will then 'approve' the recommendations and you will then be supplied with the strategies. A lot of people on here talk about being 'entitled to' inaccurately, and it causes misunderstanding of the process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJones)
    Can I just point out that your report details the recommendations made to your funding body to provide funding for these strategies. Its not an entitlement and the funding body can disagree with the assessors recommendations. If your funding body agree to the recommendations, they will then 'approve' the recommendations and you will then be supplied with the strategies. A lot of people on here talk about being 'entitled to' inaccurately, and it causes misunderstanding of the process.
    The letter I got back is from the SFE, not the recommendations from my assessor. Sorry if I have confused anyone.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.