Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is it wrong to date someone you don't like? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow I'm going on my third date with this dude I've been seeing.

Thing is, I'm not really sure if I like him yet, it takes awhile for me to fancy someone. I get on with him, he's easy to talk to but I don't really have feelings yet.

Is it wrong to keep dating someone without knowing if you even like them? I don't really want to even kiss him yet and don't know when/if I will.

I'm also planning on moving away (this could be awhile though) so I'm not sure how serious it could be.

Anyway, any ideas on what to do on a third date if you're not sure you like the guy?

ReputationRep:
    Dates are pretty much there to test if you want to have long term relationships with people you may / may not fancy.. You never really know till something either clicks and you want it or something doesn't click and it's just not meant to be. Also on a more psychological note the fact that your even considering going on a third date probably means there is some there it just depends if it's a passing feeling or something you want to bloom into a full blown relationship.

Hope this has helped and note confused you more :3

ReputationRep:
    Feelings don't come right away for everyone, but the fact that you get on well with him is a good sign so I'd keep at it for a few more dates until, as llii said, something clicks or doesn't

ReputationRep:
    haiiiiiiii

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing it to be polite? Usually, it takes seconds upon meeting to know if you could potentially love somebody.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim2341)
    Are you doing it to be polite? Usually, it takes seconds upon meeting to know if you could potentially love somebody.
    :curious: Statistics or it isn't true.

Oh come on. That's Disney-style crap.

OP - If you think that it might turn into something, that there is the possibility, then it isn't wrong. If you know you're not going to like him, it's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    :curious: Statistics or it isn't true.

Oh come on. That's Disney-style crap.

OP - If you think that it might turn into something, that there is the possibility, then it isn't wrong. If you know you're not going to like him, it's wrong.

It's widely covered on the NET, google, seconds to fall in love.

http://www.youramazingbrain.org/lovesex/sciencelove.htm

and
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...d-fall-in-love

but it takes 2 years for all the intensity to go but it turns into long term attachment, or it could go the other way. To add realism to the situation. It's disney up until a point.

I'm a guy, and we're not supposed to be all gooey over this sort of thing, but you're a girl, sorry to stereotype, but I thought girls are supposed to be into this 'being in love' malarkey...

ReputationRep:
    As a guy, I would say that it's ok for the first 3-5 dates. If a girl thought it wasn't going anywhere but got my hopes up by agreeing for than 5 dates, then its sort of unfair/not nice. Its happened once before and although it wasn't heartbreak for me, I felt she could have saved me time (and money!) by letting me know sooner rather than later. So a very rough rule of thumb, don't go more than 5 dates if you know it's not going anywhere - if you know sooner, by all means let the guy know. If, however, you feel like you could like him in the future, then suggest staying as friends for the time being and just do "friends" stuff. Then, it needn't be restricted to just the two of you - you can invite him on nights out you have with your friends and vice versa.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It's widely covered on the NET, google, seconds to fall in love.

http://www.youramazingbrain.org/lovesex/sciencelove.htm

but it takes 2 years for all the intensity to go but it turns into long term attachment, or it could go the other way. To add realism to the situation. It's disney up until a point.
    "Psychologists have shown it takes between 90 seconds and 4 minutes to decide if you fancy someone. "

Not the same thing as love.

ReputationRep:
    You wont know till you get to know them properly, opinions can change

ReputationRep:
    Well, why have you decided to go on a third date with him? Surely you've a reason for agreeing to go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    "Psychologists have shown it takes between 90 seconds and 4 minutes to decide if you fancy someone. "

Not the same thing as love.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1022184957.htm

"Researchers also found falling in love only takes about a fifth of a second."

That's even less than a second.... There's loads on the net, if you don't believe me... you said you wanted statistics... these articles encapsulate statistics from their studies.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1022184957.htm

"Researchers also found falling in love only takes about a fifth of a second."

That's even less than a second.... There's loads on the net, if you don't believe me... you said you wanted statistics... these articles encapsulate statistics from their studies.
    If they are measuring love simply as the release of all the right chemicals and hormones, then that isn't love as we know it. It's simply attraction. Love being defined as a deep, personal connection and need for a specific human being, does not happen in that time. The chemicals just start ****ing up your brain.

Put it this way. It would not make sense for people to fall in love after years of knowing each other if love genuinely did happen at first sight.

i'm going through the exact same thing right now except(according to my friends) i'm being a cocktease as well because i keep making out with him to see if i feel anything but that's also leading him on as well and ugh i'm so confused!!! i should make my own thread..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.