Turn on thread page Beta

Where to shop??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got a budget of upto £1000....im looking to buy a top of the range pc with all the trimmings (digi cam, scanner, printer) and really high specs....does anyone know the best placees to look and where not to go??? Thanx J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Barman)
    I got a budget of upto £1000....im looking to buy a top of the range pc with all the trimmings (digi cam, scanner, printer) and really high specs....does anyone know the best placees to look and where not to go??? Thanx J.
    Why do you need to spend £1000 on a PC? It seems way overkill to me these days. Spend £500 and treat yourself to a nice holiday instead.

ReputationRep:
    buy all the bits from ebuyer.com and build it yourself, or get a resident geek to do it for you; either way you will save lots of money and have exactly what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddock)
    buy all the bits from ebuyer.com and build it yourself, or get a resident geek to do it for you; either way you will save lots of money and have exactly what you want.
    And with the money you save go on holiday! It means you also won't have the **** and nasty motherboards found in the likes of Packard Bell machines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Why do you need to spend £1000 on a PC? It seems way overkill to me these days. Spend £500 and treat yourself to a nice holiday instead.
    Am already going on holiday twice this year.....Belgium and Amsterdam!
    So does anyone know anywhere good to shop for the best offer????

ReputationRep:
    Also the digital camera, scanners and cameras you get free with PCs from big retailers are always bottom of the range, useless ones. They cost very little but include them to make the PC deal look like great value.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say check out Micromart magazine. they host all sorts of mail order companies who sell decent Pcs. Failing that i'd try Dell or PC World for some good deals at the moment
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I can recommend http://www.dabs.com and http://www.scan.co.uk - especially they're today only offers very good value http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly

ReputationRep:
    i sugest a lap top

ReputationRep:
    Ok save the money you will save then, stick in a bank and watch the interest grow!

Spending £1000 on a PC means that in ones year time it will be worth £500, if you spent £500 on a PC in 1 years time it would be worth £300.

And yes Maddock is right the digital cameras you get with PC packages are always pretty crap. The rule with digital cameras is to make sure you get one with a proper CCD and not a CMOS one. All the ones that come with PCs are Tawianeese CMOS crap.

ReputationRep:
    Ok save the money you will save then, stick in a bank and watch the interest grow!

Spending £1000 on a PC means that in ones year time it will be worth £500, if you spent £500 on a PC in 1 years time it would be worth £300.

And yes Maddock is right the digital cameras you get with PC packages are always pretty crap. The rule with digital cameras is to make sure you get one with a proper CCD and not a CMOS one. All the ones that come with PCs are Tawianeese CMOS crap.
    I aint got a problem with wasting the cash coz i could easily buy another one in a year's time but im looking to get my £'s worth this time round!!

Can someone gimme a short list of what not to get so i dont screw up plz! Thanx...J.

ReputationRep:
    I aint got a problem with wasting the cash coz i could easily buy another one in a year's time but im looking to get my £'s worth this time round!!

Can someone gimme a short list of what not to get so i dont screw up plz! Thanx...J.
    But that is my point, with £1000 you won't get your moneys worth at all. You will just be wasting it, a £700 machine with a good digital camera etc (bought seperatly) would be far better.

I always go for AMD Althlon machines. Also make you sure you have at least 512MB RAM, and a 100GB hard drive.

ReputationRep:
    But that is my point, with £1000 you won't get your moneys worth at all. You will just be wasting it, a £700 machine with a good digital camera etc (bought seperatly) would be far better.

I always go for AMD Althlon machines. Also make you sure you have at least 512MB RAM, and a 100GB hard drive.
    Oh ok....thanks.

ReputationRep:

Well, would it be feasable to purchase the parts and install everything your own, or get someone with knowledge to do it?
    Because if it is, then buying the parts off the net is the cheapest way to go.
    If not, then its probably best to get the whole computer at once.
    Are the core specs, or the extra devices more important to you?
    Because if the specs are, then ignore the main high street places. They sell poor quality pc's in general, and include second rate peripherals they can't sell to people.
    But there are a few deals around with good stuff, so if you look carefully (ignoring the big name suppliers in general), you might find something useful.
    What are the primary uses of the machine?
    Work or games? Or both?
    And what about other uses like graphics or audio editing and stuff?
    Work out specifically what you want to do on it, and then look to maximise it for those uses.
    I mean, theres no point in shelling out hundreds for a ultra high spec graphics card for writing text documents.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother with PC world, it's overpriced, never that good, and they are a pain.
    Redstore.com is a good site.

Personally, spend, say £500 odd on the computers, as the others said it will devaulate. The camera etc are worth spending more on tho. They will devaulate less.

And laptops are just a pain, with a computer if the mouse/keyboard/moniter goes you can change it. With a laptop you are stuck...#
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'd always recommend spending much more money on a monitor - a good monitor will hardly depreciate at all....we've got a 10 yr old 17inch Iiyama which is still worth a good £50 second hand. A good flat screen (as brands go Iiyama is excellent) would be a good buy - even though £300 seems a lot to spend on a glorified tv screen.

:drool:

ReputationRep:
    If I was getting a new Windows OS PC, i'd get an evesham

http://www.evesham.com/Default.asp?e=&td=1

Or ideally a Mac, but they're rather expensive

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore/

I don't see any point in spending loads, because they're out of date in a few months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I'd always recommend spending much more money on a monitor - a good monitor will hardly depreciate at all....we've got a 10 yr old 17inch Iiyama which is still worth a good £50 second hand. A good flat screen (as brands go Iiyama is excellent) would be a good buy - even though £300 seems a lot to spend on a glorified tv screen.

:drool:
    Well Iiyama's have a great reputation, but i've found that monitors aren't really all that worthwhile on paying out a large amount of cash on.
    Flat screen monitors are, in general, a waste of money.
    Oled monitors will be the next big thing, and certainly will be more worth the money, but mostly in laptops.
    The monitor i've got works well, and i didn't end up paying a thing for it.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.novatech.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    The computer would be for internet use(surfing and gameplay), sound and graphics editing, not to bothered bout the extra's as long as there descent! Has to be over 2000 processor, 516 RAm and at least 80Gb Hard Disk, with a descent graphics card! anything after that is just a bonus!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.