The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The_Barman
The computer would be for internet use(surfing and gameplay), sound and graphics editing, not to bothered bout the extra's as long as there descent! Has to be over 2000 processor, 516 RAm and at least 80Gb Hard Disk, with a descent graphics card! anything after that is just a bonus!

Are you going to get dial-up, or broadband?
If you are any sort of serious online game player, you pretty much need broadband to get good performance.
You'll have to make provisions for software costs as well then (unless you get it, shall we say, less than legally?)
Do you mean over Athlon 2000, or 2000mhz?
RAM's pretty cheap, and easy to install, so if you buy as a unit, upgrading it shouldn't be a problem.
What about stuff like printers, scanners, camera's etc.
Are they actually useful for you?
Reply 21
Iluvatar
Are you going to get dial-up, or broadband?
If you are any sort of serious online game player, you pretty much need broadband to get good performance.
You'll have to make provisions for software costs as well then (unless you get it, shall we say, less than legally?)
Do you mean over Athlon 2000, or 2000mhz?
RAM's pretty cheap, and easy to install, so if you buy as a unit, upgrading it shouldn't be a problem.
What about stuff like printers, scanners, camera's etc.
Are they actually useful for you?

I mean the processor has to be 2000mhz minimum.....im looking at a pc with

ATX Midi Tower Case

4 x 5.25" Drive Bays

3 x 3.5" Drive Bays

2 x 400MHz DDR slots (2GB max)

1 x Parallel Port, 1 x Serial Port

6 x USB2 (2 Front, 4 Back)

1 x RJ45 Network Port (10/100)

56K Modem

5.1 6-Channel Capable Sound

1.44MB Floppy Drive

Serial ATA RAID

Dimensions (mm)-
198 (W) x 425 (H) x 465 (D)

Nero Elite 64 3400

2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 3400
1024MB PC3200 400MHz DDR Dual Channel
200GB Serial ATA Hard Drive 7200rpm 8MB Cache
LeadTek 128MB DDR GeForce FX5700
NEC ND2500 8x Dual Format +/- DVD Burner
5.1 6-Channel Capable Sound
1 x RJ45 Network Port (10/100)
56K Modem
Order Code: PC-0548T
Ex Vat Inc Vat

Im looking for a complete pc system at home....5.1 sound and photo quality graphics!
Reply 22
The_Barman
I aint got a problem with wasting the cash coz i could easily buy another one in a year's time but im looking to get my £'s worth this time round!!

Can someone gimme a short list of what not to get so i dont screw up plz! Thanx...J.

Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon Processor. These two are the main ones, any others, I would disregard. With speed, I'd recommend looking at nothing less than 2.8GHZ.

Ram (memory) - no less than 512MB

Hard disk (Hard drive) - no less than 120GB (GB = Gigabytes)

Graphics card - Don't buy anything that has MX attached to it, as it will be a budget graphics card. The main and best graphics cards are NVIDIA and RADEON. NVIDIA have names such as FX5200 - FX5950 where FX5200 is lower end, and FX5950 is high end. Graphics cards also have memory, and I wouldn't recommend buying anything less than 128MB of DDR RAM. Don't know much about Radeons.

CD Writer/ DVD Drive - Doesn't really matter. Down to personal preference, you can buy any CD Writer, though the brand I would recommend are Liteon. With regards to a DVD drive, you can buy either a writer or just a reader, a reader is cheap, a writer can cost anywhere between £120 - £500. I wouldn't recommend buying a DVD writer.

Monitor - Nothing less than 17" and preferably a TFT or flatscreen. Do not let them fob you off with a cheap old fashioned monitor.

The above, I would follow if you do intend to spend £1000. If you can't or don't know how to build your own, then I would recommend Dell, and buying direct from them. Avoid 'Time', 'Tiny', and 'Hewlett Packard' as they make crap and overpriced systems.

Buy direct through the Dell website or ring them up.

Me, personally, I wouldn't spend that sort of money, as the stuff you would have bought will no doubt be out of date within 12 months. Having said that I have probably spent £3000 in upgrades.

Regards.

Latest

Trending

Trending