Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    My dissertation is in a shambles and I don't have the time or resources to get it in for the deadline in 2 weeks time, so my current plan is to not submit it at all. I am currently running at a 2:1 across all my modules, and while I realise I won't get an honours degree if I don't submit a dissertation, would I likely just slip down to a 2:2?

I don't even need a degree for the job I'm going to be doing and I am sick of my degree anyway, so I'm not after responses along the lines of "see your tutor, there's still time", etc.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your university's policy as it differs between them. It can also be a decision that's made on a case-by-case basis.

Generally if you don't submit at all, it will either be an ordinary degree without Honours (lower than a Third), or you'll fail outright. Depends on how your uni runs it though. You'd have no chance at an Honours degree of any grade, at any of the three unis I've attended. It wouldn't be the difference between a 2:1 and a 2:2, as the dissertation is essentially the "Honours" element and you can't get a graded non-Honours degree.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your course tutor and/or supervisor about your options. You may be able to defer submitting your dissertation if you have mitigating circumstances. Depending on the retake policy, you may be advised to submit your dissertation, so that you will be granted the opportunity to resubmit at a later date. Whether or not your mark will be capped, will depend on your universities policy.

The rule of thumb is that you have to complete all elements of the degree to get a grade, you need 360 credits overall for a degree (typically 120 credits per year for a 3 year degree), of which up to 60 credits are usually allocated to the dissertation. So non submission would not be a risky option. You are typically only awarded the credits allocated to the element if you complete the module by submitting coursework and/or sitting an exam and scoring at least 40% overall. Depending on the university, if you are short 60 credits, that may not be enough for an ordinary degree. So you may only be eligible for a diploma, equivalent to a HND which is usually 240 credits. If your university base the award of the degree on the average across all final year subjects without weighting and you are currently averaging 60-69%, then you would need submit your dissertation and gain at least a pass at 40% to graduate with a 2.2. But that assumes that there is not a clause that says you to pass the dissertation at a certain level to be awarded the particular class of degree.

Whilst you may not need a degree now, in the future, because of some random employment criteria for a job, it may cost you the job of your dreams. So do your best to pull something together to submit. Do not worry about it not being a true reflection of what you are capable of. In my experience, unless you have the option to officially defer, it is much better to submit. If you have any mitigating reasons, submit that as well. Give the exam board the opportunity to make an exception in your case and award you a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Id' definitely talk to someone about deferred submission. If you get a degree at all, of any grade then the difference between a 2.1 and 2.2-3rd is HUGE. I mean the chasm between people who gets jobs with a 2.1 and those who get them with a 2.2 is not even comprehensible.

As others said your grade or even the whole degree could easily hinge on submitting all elements, or the majority of them over your 3 years. Not submitting a 40-60 credit module on which hinges your honours classification is a huge deal. Though it isn't what you want to hear, I'd keep plugging away at it, make contact with your tutor ASAP, submit any mitigating circumstances you might have and then go an any advice you're given by the uni.

Non-submission and dropping a whole grade or two, or not getting an honours or even a degree though not important for your job now, it might be for the next one. I think it is quite short-sighted to consider something like this, the world is a scary place at the moment, no job is 100% secure. Any advantage you can have over somebody else in application will help you no end, but a 2.2 or lower classification will hold you back unbelievably. Employers will probably see your degree classification and bin your application before even considering any relevant experience you might have. If that previous sentence sounds harsh, I have a couple of friends who graduate two years ago still looking for graduate jobs, or a job at all because the most common reason employers don't consider their application is because their degree classification is 2.2 or lower.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, this really depends on the regulations of your specific university. Some unis will let you graduate with an honours degree despite failing your dissertation, many won't. Every university's regs are different. But don't just not submit- you need to know exactly what the implications are before you decide what to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.