Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have offers from both universities of AAB to study Physics with Astrophysics (theoretical at nottingham)
    I was more inclined to nottingham due to the course and the reputation as a red-brick, but Leicester has offered a yearly scholarship of 4015 Pounds to international students If I meet the requirement.
    Really needing good advice guys.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that Leicester has to bribe its international students to attend says everything. Nottingham has a very large proportion of international students from all over the world and is a well established university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lackadaisical)
    So I have offers from both universities of AAB to study Physics with Astrophysics (theoretical at nottingham)
    I was more inclined to nottingham due to the course and the reputation as a red-brick, but Leicester has offered a yearly scholarship of 4015 Pounds to international students If I meet the requirement.
    Nottingham isn't a redbrick

But a yearly scholarship of £4015 isn't to be sniffed at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meat is Murder)
    The fact that Leicester has to bribe its international students to attend says everything. Nottingham has a very large proportion of international students from all over the world and is a well established university.
    Hmm, good point. However, aren't the two universities reputation nearly the same? If you had the choice, what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuliusDS92)
    Nottingham isn't a redbrick

But a yearly scholarship of £4015 isn't to be sniffed at.
    Sorry, I was under he impression that all russell group unis were redbricks

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I was under he impression that all russell group unis were redbricks
    Nothing to apologise for, I was just being pedantic But quality wise, my impression is that Nottingham is easily comparable to the redbricks. Leicester I don't know enough about to have an informed opinion.

ReputationRep:
    If that money is going to really help you out, and if you're going to struggle funding yourself whilst over here then I'd be more inclined to take that, but overall, the better of the two universities is Nottingham by quite a way in the subject league tables:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...26%20Astronomy

Its also a RG uni which is a positive in terms of employability. With good jobs as scarce as they are in current times, its important to take as many opportunities as you can - even if Nottingham in only slightly better, its still going to improve your chances at landing a job upon graduation. I'm not saying Leicester is bad at all, its a very good University, just that, in my eyes, its not as good as Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought Nottingham > Leicester for physics.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, good point. However, aren't the two universities reputation nearly the same? If you had the choice, what would you do?
    Nottingham is streets ahead of Leicester. Granted I am at Nottingham so am biased, but I will add that Leicester wasn't even on my radar when I was looking at prospective unis.

It is a similar situation with Kent: Kent offer a £2000 scholarship for those with AAA which screams the fact that they don't attract very many...

ReputationRep:
    What If I do my BSc at Leicester, and my MSc at nottingham or elsewhere? which begs the question, does it matter where I do my bachelors, as long as I do my masters at a really good uni?

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Astro at Leicester is our research strength, with the Space Centre down the road and everything, but I don't know about the overall calibre of the department.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.