Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Do employers like Goldman Sachs..etc come to KCL and hire for front office/middle office trading and banking roles? Or is that rare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)
    Do employers like Goldman Sachs..etc come to KCL and hire for front office/middle office trading and banking roles? Or is that rare?
    It's not rare, they do visit, but you have those top 6 unis obviously which are stated in my link below. However from what I can see, KCL's reputation has gained strength in this area recently and will continue to do so, due to the fact that KCL has introduced many "generalist" degrees lately which most likely will make KCL even more interesting for this sector.

Here is the link:

To an extent this is true, but banks also have an elite group of ‘target’ universities to which they’ll actively sell a career within investment banking. At undergraduate level in the UK (in no particular order) these are Oxford, Cambridge, London School of Economics (LSE), UCL, Imperial College London and Warwick. The likes of Kings College London, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Bath and Edinburgh are also well-regarded.

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/53...-into-banking/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intstud29)
    It's not rare, they do visit, but you have those top 6 unis obviously which are stated in my link below. However from what I can see, KCL's reputation has gained strength in this area recently and will continue to do so, due to the fact that KCL has introduced many "generalist" degrees lately which most likely will make KCL even more interesting for this sector.

Here is the link:

To an extent this is true, but banks also have an elite group of ‘target’ universities to which they’ll actively sell a career within investment banking. At undergraduate level in the UK (in no particular order) these are Oxford, Cambridge, London School of Economics (LSE), UCL, Imperial College London and Warwick. The likes of Kings College London, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Bath and Edinburgh are also well-regarded.

So if you had a choice of Warwick, Kings or MAnchester...you would go to Warwick? What would be your insurance choice? Kings or Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)
    So if you had a choice of Warwick, Kings or MAnchester...you would go to Warwick? What would be your insurance choice? Kings or Manchester?
    Hey

Well, it all depends on what your "plans" are. Do you want to start working right away after your 3-year degreeor do you intend to do a MA/MSc degree?

So to answer your question; if the intention is to study for three years only and recieve 2:1, then I would have firmed Warwick and picked KCL as my insurance.

2) However if your intention is to do a MA/MSc, I would pick the one that guarantees you or at least gives you the best shot at achieving a 1st class degree. That would allow you to be very competitive regarding scholarships at MA/MSc level.

KCL is the only one which is in London compared to Warwick and Manchester, so that would allow you networking opportunities right outside your door step.

So if this is your intention, it is perfectly fine to choose KCL for your BA degree and then do MA or MSc at Warwick Business School.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Well, it all depends on what your "plans" are. Do you want to start working right away after your 3-year degreeor do you intend to do a MA/MSc degree?

So to answer your question; if the intention is to study for three years only and recieve 2:1, then I would have firmed Warwick and picked KCL as my insurance.

2) However if your intention is to do a MA/MSc, I would pick the one that guarantees you or at least gives you the best shot at achieving a 1st class degree. That would allow you to be very competitive regarding scholarships at MA/MSc level.

KCL is the only one which is in London compared to Warwick and Manchester, so that would allow you networking opportunities right outside your door step.

So if this is your intention, it is perfectly fine to choose KCL for your BA degree and then do MA or MSc at Warwick Business School.
    Want to work straight away, so think its Warwick and KCL Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering what peoples opinions were: I have offers from

Leeds, Bath, KCL, Exeter and Newcastle for business.

I am struggling to decide whether to put KCL (BM) or Bath (BBA)as my firm..

Can anyone at these universities help me?

Any opinions...

I want to get into IB and i know the placements are good at Bath but the London university may allow more contacts to be built.

Thanks Tom

ReputationRep:

Here is the link:

Could you expand on what you mean by 'generalist'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manu92)
    Could you expand on what you mean by 'generalist'?
    Many new degrees have been introduced lately, such as:

- European Politics

- International Politics

- International Relations

- Religion, Politics & Society

- International Development (2014 entry)

So KCL is no longer focused only on Nursing, Medicine, etc, but offers now many interesting degrees that only extremely few can rival in London. War Studies, International Relations and International Politics are only slightly behind LSE's programs in this area, besides the fact that LSE and KCL are only top unis in London that offer these types of degrees now, if you look beyond ESPS at UCL which is 4-year degree.

International Development will most likely try to be an alternative to LSE's BSc Environment and Development program. It will be easier to write personal statements to these unis, since several courses are now starting to look very similar. Another school that will be pushed down because of this is SOAS, since most people who are interested in this field from the day 1, would rather like to study this at either LSE or KCL compared to SOAS.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2013
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.