Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    what's the difference between fast-track MMath and direct entry to the second year of an MMath degree at St. Andrews Uni

ReputationRep:
    Have they not changed it to just direct entry now? I could be wrong they've just been talking about it for a couple of years now as the fast-track thing is just silly.

Basically in the fas-track we had to take 1st year courses and you end up with a crammed third year (you take a higher module load to compensate for the fact your doing 5 years worth of modules in 4 years). In actuality you get half a year of advanced standing credits from your a-levels/advanced highers/whatever so your doing 4.5 years worth of modules in 4 years. With direct entry you start straight in at 2nd year modules and you do 3 years of honours with normal credit loads.

I can't think of ANY reason to do the fast track now it's more work for no reason. I ended up starting it and then dropping to the 5 year course anyway but I would have coped fine with 2nd year entry (they didn't really offer it when I applied).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkyvirus)
    Have they not changed it to just direct entry now? I could be wrong they've just been talking about it for a couple of years now as the fast-track thing is just silly.

Basically in the fas-track we had to take 1st year courses and you end up with a crammed third year (you take a higher module load to compensate for the fact your doing 5 years worth of modules in 4 years). In actuality you get half a year of advanced standing credits from your a-levels/advanced highers/whatever so your doing 4.5 years worth of modules in 4 years. With direct entry you start straight in at 2nd year modules and you do 3 years of honours with normal credit loads.

I can't think of ANY reason to do the fast track now it's more work for no reason. I ended up starting it and then dropping to the 5 year course anyway but I would have coped fine with 2nd year entry (they didn't really offer it when I applied).
    they still do both apparently!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.