Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

why do so many jobs say "need experience" when it doesnt take long to train you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I lost my job on Saturday and I am now unemployed for the first time in my life. just wondering why every single job says experience required. some of these jobs would only take a few days to learn yet greedy employers don't even want to invest the time doing that. some of these jobs are very basic. Im sure experience would not really be required.

frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    Why not? After all think about how many unemployed will have the exact experience that they employer is asking from

ReputationRep:
    Like the above poster said, Employers are in a very good position at the moment with so many people looking for jobs, that they can pick the ones that best suit their needs. Why would they bother losing money training people when there are people with experience that are looking for the same jobs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephen857)
    I lost my job on Saturday and I am now unemployed for the first time in my life. just wondering why every single job says experience required. some of these jobs would only take a few days to learn yet greedy employers don't even want to invest the time doing that. some of these jobs are very basic. Im sure experience would not really be required.

frustrating.
    Best thing is to do internships to get that experience or there are other work based schemes on offer....

ReputationRep:
    Two main reasons: a) the job market is full of unemployed people at the moment so they don't need to waste money on extra training, and b) a lot of the time even the best training is no substitute for having done the job or something similar for months or years on end.

ReputationRep:
    you get that everywhere, they cant even be arsed to train me at my local charity shop where I volunteer for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephen857)
    It might be easy for you to learn, but a lot of people are spackers and would need weeks of training. In fact there's a good chance the employers/managers themselves are like that and can't relate to someone being smart enough to pick stuff up quickly. Hey that's life, recession sucks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.