Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    The region R is bounded by the curve y=3x+ \frac 15 \ x^3 , the x axis and the lines x=1, x=3. Find the area of R.

I've been able to do all questions on our integration homework apart from this one as this is the only one without a diagram? I tried drawing one but I can't draw a cubic graph- should I learn how to draw one, or can I do the question without drawing a diagram?

Any tips on how I could go about working this out? thanks very much guys

ReputationRep:
    Provided that y is positive throughout the interval 1 to 3 then just do the integral. This function is positive through the interval.
    The reason that y must be >0 throughout is that areas below the x axis would be negative. Usually, you have to find the absolute area and so if your curve dips below the x axis, you have to find that region separately (it will be negative for x>0) and just add on the magnitude ignoring the sign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lid-the-squid)
    The region R is bounded by the curve y=3x+ \frac 15 \ x^3 , the x axis and the lines x=1, x=3. Find the area of R.

I've been able to do all questions on our integration homework apart from this one as this is the only one without a diagram? I tried drawing one but I can't draw a cubic graph- should I learn how to draw one, or can I do the question without drawing a diagram?

Name:  cubic.png
Views: 56
Size:  11.7 KB
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lid-the-squid)

This is one of those questions where the best approach is "just do it"! It won't do you any harm to learn how to sketch cubics but for this function in such a limited range of values it won't teach you anything enlightening

y is positive between the two x values, so just integrate the function, sub in the limits and take the difference between the two values.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.