Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I'm borderline overweight according to new BMI measure Watch

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I just saw this today. I am 5ft and 8 stone 7 and my BMI on the new measure is 25 and says 'overweight'. People often describe me as 'tiny'. I think the new measure is ridiculous, as the old BMI already seemed to compensate for height e.g at 5ft I'd be overweight if I was 9 stone 7 but if I was 5ft 4 my BMI would be like 22... so on the old system there's already about a point off for every inch of height at the same weight, and lets face it an inch of height difference is barely noticeable.

Plus neither the old or the new measure takes into fact body shape, like I have G gups and a tiny waist and large hips which is supposed to be a healthier fat distribution then if it was on my mid section. I don't even understand on what science the new BMI is based on that short people are actually bulkier at certain weights then once believed???

I think I probably have quite high bone density for my height as when I dieted down to 7 stone 10 once, my periods stopped suggesting I wasn't healthy and they returned once I went up to 8 stone.

I think at 4ft 10 you are a perfect weight. Screw these sizist oxford man! Everyone is different - one size fits all is not right for many.
    Oh and others have done dress size, I'm generally a 8, some places like river island I'm even a 6 in a lot of items, but boobs sometimes mean sizing up.

ReputationRep:
    CHRIST. Apparently I'm overweight. I need to stop eating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 4 ft 10 and weigh 50 kilos and apparently that makes me fat

I'm less than 8 stone and wear a size 10, it's ridiculous. It's really getting me down but having large thighs and a pot belly is part of my constitution really. I've always been like that.

It's unfair that just because I'm small I'm fat. I don't eat much, I even skip meals. What's wrong with me? I want to be taller but that's not going to happen.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...e-new-BMI.html
    I just looked at the bottom ends of the healthy range for the new range... you apparently wouldn't be underweight at 5 stone 8.5 pounds... um are they trying to create a rise in eating disorders or something... that is shocking. I was under 5ft until a few years ago and I haven't been that weight since like year 4 or something and I was not an overweight child at all! I am not a fan of the new scale.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  dhnypZM.png
Views: 53
Size:  4.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Either way, I'm mid way between normal weight and overweight whatever system I use. Need to lose a few kilos

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und3niable_)
    Either way, I'm mid way between normal weight and overweight whatever system I use. Need to lose a few kilos
    I need to lose a few stone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I need to lose a few stone.
    Ah, I meant im mid way between overweight and 30 haha. My BMI is 27. I weigh 11st Only 5"2 though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.