Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I have recently been diagnosed with epilepsy, which for me has changed my life a fair bit. I am now receiving ESA because of this. However whilst I am out of work/ eventually getting back into it, I was thinking of getting back into education and further my childcare qualifications and help me hopefully get into a teaching position. I have lots of experience working with children (working for four years in a private day nursery and voluntary in a school) I was thinking about a course at the open university, for convenience ( can study at home and still continue once I get back into work) I wondered if anyone could give me any further advice or opinions. I don't feel comfortable going to an actual university as my epilepsy is not quite under control and there are no triggers to my seizures. I am also extremely anxious when out in public places.
    Any help or advice is hugely welcome
    Thank you

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    I did OU when my 'weird chronic childhood arthritis thing' bounced back and hit me as an adult a few years ago. They were amazing about it. Lots of help making sure I could access buildings for any meetings or tutorials (I was on crutches) and tutors were very understanding when I couldnt meet deadlines because of pain/out of it on painkillers etc.

    I then finished my degree at a conventional Uni, had a baby, did a Masters degree, worked for 10 years and I'm now doing a PhD. All of the Unis I've studied at were/are brilliant about my disability, and the fact that my condition is totally unpredictable - I can be fine for weeks/months then wake up and not be able to move. All Unis have a dept that works with/for students with disabilities and they understand all the issues that go with that. You could phone up your nearest Uni, ask for the Disabled Students Office and have a chat to them about what support they could offer you. You wont be the only person at that Uni with epilepsy, promise.

    Grab your courage in both hands and go for it. You *can* do it.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2013
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.