Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Roundabouts...they still confuse the bejesus out of me.

I'm OK with the minor ones, give way from the right, left and straight on in the left hand lane (most of the time) but the more complex ones...sheesh.

For example, near me, there's a 5 exit round about with only two, non-marked lanes on approach to the roundabout. So, in this case, is it the left lane for first 2 exits and right lane for remaining 3 exits? I think it's this one, but my friend thinks otherwise.

Or would it be left for first 3 exits and right for the remaining 2?

I'm always nervous something's going to come round the outside of me in my blindspot and I don't react quick enough. Or have made the wrong decision in the first place.

Are there any good websites on explaining roundabout etiquette?

TY!

ReputationRep:
    I was always taught the clock method. It is based on the picture of the roundabout on the roadsign you see before approaching... The actual roundabout might be a tad different, but if you use the diagram then it's a fairly safe method to use.

Just imagine there is a clock on the picture. You're approaching from 6 o'clock up to the centre of the dial. If the exit you want is "12" or to the left of "12" on your imaginary clock, then use the left lane. If it is to the right of 12 o'clock then use the right lane. Obviously, you hope there will be signs on the ground to help with this too.

When approaching, do your necessary mirror and indicator checks and keep an eye on what's coming from your right. Be prepared to stop, but also try to aim to be in a suitable gear to carry on if it's free - You'll feel more confident about traffic knowing that you're in a gear with suitable power to pull away in if you have to. There's nothing worse than stepping on the gas and realising you're not accelerating! There isn't really a set ideal speed or gear for roundabouts, but look at how big the roundabout is, conditions, traffic, etc and plan accordingly. There are some I have to take in 2nd or 3rd gear and others where I can carry on in 4th or 5th because they're so wide and easy. As they say, choose the appropriate gear for your speed and also your intentions!

With experience you can learn to keep an eye on the road and look to the right at the same time to see everything around you. Obviously be aware of your blindspot and check accordingly (I usually do a lifesaver check in the mirrors before entering a roundabout to watch for bikes, etc) but so long as you're moving, then you just need to focus on what you're doing with your car. Let other people worry about themselves. If you have to stop, then of course do your full checks before pulling away.

So. Once you've approached and hopefully entered the roundabout, stick with your lane and ready yourself to leave the roundabout. As you pass the centerline, of the road, of the exit (what a mouthful) just before your one, check your mirrors and signal left. Then, carry on leaving the roundabout. All that really means is don't signal for an exit you want to take if there are still potential exists that you could take - That's just a general driving skill. It bugs me to hell when someone signals for a turn and they take the turn two or three past the one that they've signalled for - It's incredibly bad driving. So once you have passed the middle of the exit before the one you want to take, you can signal because the only available exit now is the one you're taking.

The only exception to that is if you're taking the first exit, in which case you can approach the roundabout with your left indicator on and then just leave the roundabout immediately afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Free flowing Roundabouts are the hardest thing for a learner/new driver to contend with so you are not alone

As there are so many types then there is not a one size fits all answer

The best thing is to have a decent instructor/supervising driver to guide you whilst you are learning

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.