Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

An Independent London? ( maybe with Home Counties?) Watch

• View Poll Results: Should London ever try to be independent?
    Yes
    24.44%
    Yes- if Scotland does so first
    2.22%
    No
    73.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Don't lump the home counties in with London. As far as I'm concerned they're as different from London as they are from the north east. Ok, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I think they are distinctly different from London.
    A lot of the workers from London live in the Home Counties so we wouldn't want to those them or for the population density of London to increase anymore!

ReputationRep:
    So that does mean that Paris should declare independence? Washington? Moscow? Tokyo? Of course the capital city/most significant cities should provide the brunt of the economy, it's where everything is. What's the point in having a capital city otherwise?

People are seriously running out of things to join...

ReputationRep:
    A country run by Boris Johnson? Oh wait a minute, that may happen after 2016.

ReputationRep:
    You can't just pick and choose the best bits of being a capital city and try and dump all the worst bits, it's part and parcel of the game. London would not be as successful independent; it benefits from just being part of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is an argument for making London a separte nation within the United Kingdom on the same footing as England, Scotland, Wales and N.I. We could call it Capital Territory - a bit like Washington D.C. That way Scotland and Wales would feel less like they are governed from England - not that they are. England can have its own Assembly seated in, say, Canturbury. London is a very different place from the rest of England and its needs and requirements are different.
    The UK parliament can then follow the pattern of the US where the number of seats in the Commons would be allocated to each nation corresponding to their population. The Lords can be reformed so that all nations have an equal number of peers just as each State in the U.S. has 2 senators (in the UK the no would have to be somewhat higher) in the senate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Say what??? Most poor people in London could never afford cars so have to use public transport!!

I think TfL wastes a lot of money on things like the New bus for London

and heads should roll for the major overspend in the Olympics not even property price rises can account for a nearly 300% overspend!

And don't forget the unions will fight to the death to oppose driverless trains.. they already got a deal for 52k for tube drivers..
    So why didn't the list include 'crack down on transport unions'? Instead it said, throw more money at subsidising commuter transport *and* get rid of smart Pigouvian taxes on drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    You can't just pick and choose the best bits of being a capital city and try and dump all the worst bits, it's part and parcel of the game. London would not be as successful independent; it benefits from just being part of the UK.
    Do you think the same of scottish nationalists?

ReputationRep:
    And you would be happy to see the rest of the country suffer for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas2)
    I think there is an argument for making London a separte nation within the United Kingdom on the same footing as England, Scotland, Wales and N.I. We could call it Capital Territory - a bit like Washington D.C. That way Scotland and Wales would feel less like they are governed from England - not that they are. England can have its own Assembly seated in, say, Canturbury. London is a very different place from the rest of England and its needs and requirements are different.
    The UK parliament can then follow the pattern of the US where the number of seats in the Commons would be allocated to each nation corresponding to their population. The Lords can be reformed so that all nations have an equal number of peers just as each State in the U.S. has 2 senators (in the UK the no would have to be somewhat higher) in the senate.
    Well if you think about it, London sort of already is the "5th nation" of the UK. It already has a form of devolved government, which I think has greater powers than local county councils and unitary authorities.

But it won't really ever happen because London is part of England, and I don't think anyone would ever consider it to be not part of England. Even if it were administered separately from the rest of England, devolved to the same extent that Scotland is, people would still think of it as part of England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Do you think the same of scottish nationalists?
    Yes, although you can't really compare a devolved country to a capital city. My point was that London, by virtue of being the UK's capital city, receives far more focus, attention and investment than it really should do, so obviously it's going to be prosperous. London is doing well because it's the capital, not simply because it's London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Why not- it's be much more likely to be a success than an independent Scotland!

Great. Even more navel gazing tubes just looking out for themselves.

although national dress could be based on the pearly king and queens and you can get chaz and Dave to write the national anthem and have jellied eels as a national dish.

might I recommend tower hamlets as an artillery range for your army?

Can we get hms Belfast back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Well if you think about it, London sort of already is the "5th nation" of the UK. It already has a form of devolved government, which I think has greater powers than local county councils and unitary authorities.

But it won't really ever happen because London is part of England, and I don't think anyone would ever consider it to be not part of England. Even if it were administered separately from the rest of England, devolved to the same extent that Scotland is, people would still think of it as part of England.
    Never underestimate what one smooth talking politician, a group of poor level political supporters and a greed driven selfish policy can get you. You only have to see whats happening up here

ReputationRep:
    Yes, although you can't really compare a devolved country to a capital city. My point was that London, by virtue of being the UK's capital city, receives far more focus, attention and investment than it really should do, so obviously it's going to be prosperous. London is doing well because it's the capital, not simply because it's London.

Its also down to its geographic location in European central belt of economic prosperity. It's why Frankfurt is more prosperous than Budapest.

ReputationRep:
    Well that seems to be the policy of the SNP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Seems a bit strange- youve got a HUGE number of benefit claimants in London because inner-city schools are renowned for being crap.

Hackney/peckham/seven sisters/brixton arent exactly full of amazingly-qualified people.
    We could model it on holyrood. Make them members of the London parliament (MLP's) they can try and blow £700 million on retro fitting 19th century transport technology and f**k that up.

you need to get mel Gibson to re make passport to pimlico but on a bigger scale.

politicians to promote it by making outlandish claims and then have their supporters launch personal attacks against people that highlight the obvious flaws in those plans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Seems a bit strange- youve got a HUGE number of benefit claimants in London because inner-city schools are renowned for being crap.

Hackney/peckham/seven sisters/brixton arent exactly full of amazingly-qualified people.
    Hackney is now full of middle class younger people. Brixton is starting to head that way too.

ReputationRep:
    I assume OP just wants Boris to be his Master and Leader. A bit sad really when you consider what a vain, lazy nincompoop he is. Boris, not OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Countries like Luxembourg have to import food and are very wealthy and anyway London would have an extra £20 billion to spend so we could more than afford any taxes. Anyhow it would be illegal under international law to do that to a land locked country .

Anyhow we could just ship things in through the Port of London via the thames
    London wouldn't have an extra 20 Billion. That is beyond insane, no offense. The people who would "get" the extra 20 Bil are those who would of otherwise paid that in tax (the vast majority of which are high earners, which probably isn't you or your family - although I could be wrong).

ReputationRep:
    So when the city comes crashing down and needs a bailout who will be forking over the bill for that...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    So when the city comes crashing down and needs a bailout who will be forking over the bill for that...?
    The Germans?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.