Turn on thread page Beta

Global Warming: Humankind’s Unwillingness to Save Itself watch

ReputationRep:
    A global environmental shift of catastrophic proportions cannot be averted while humankind’s actions continue to be coerced by its present form of self-imposed economic and societal structure. Preventing the looming disastrous effects of global warming requires change of epic proportion in the way humankind governs itself. Among the implementation of other equally radical policies, total prohibition of burning fossil fuels is essential to avoiding climate change that will likely cause intense and widespread devastation.

Humankind is aware of what is required of itself, but the implications of effectively rising to the challenge of global warming make implementing an effective strategy dangerous and unrealistic within the confines of the present global economic and political framework. Instead humankind buries its head in the sand in the form of simpler and ineffective measures such as the Kyoto Protocol.

Momentous global change is now inevitable. The question is: Do we orchestrate the transition to the best of our ability, or do we submit to the mercy of our environment’s revolution?

ReputationRep:
    We haven't had any 'catastrophic proportions'. It is hyped up so government can further expand into our lives. It is climate change; something which is actually natural. How do you think the planet came out of the ice age...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Global Warming: "Humankind’s Unwillingness to Save Itself"

I wouldn't say its unwillingness, but more self-denial. The media doesn't help when they hype things up beyond proportion either. However, irrespective of that, global warming and particularly (imo) the increasing human population needs to be taken very seriously.

Personally, even though I accept that there are dangerous consequences to the unsustainable lifestyles we're leading now, I'm not actively doing anything about it. I'm happy to admit that. Mainly because I feel that my actions will be a mere drop in an ocean. This is something that the government needs to tackle more effectively, and maybe then they can get more people on board with implementing such strategies that can help sweeten the blow of global warming.

Plus, its difficult to put things into perspective when you hear about the thousands of people who die on a daily basis because of civil wars, invasions, crime..etc. Global warming gets pushed to the back of your mind which is a perfectly natural response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr A Smith)
    A global environmental shift of catastrophic proportions cannot be averted while humankind’s actions continue to be coerced by its present form of self-imposed economic and societal structure. Preventing the looming disastrous effects of global warming requires change of epic proportion in the way humankind governs itself. Among the implementation of other equally radical policies, total prohibition of burning fossil fuels is essential to avoiding climate change that will likely cause intense and widespread devastation.

Humankind is aware of what is required of itself, but the implications of effectively rising to the challenge of global warming make implementing an effective strategy dangerous and unrealistic within the confines of the present global economic and political framework. Instead humankind buries its head in the sand in the form of simpler and ineffective measures such as the Kyoto Protocol.

Momentous global change is now inevitable. The question is: Do we orchestrate the transition to the best of our ability, or do we submit to the mercy of our environment’s revolution?
    The problem is that the people currently doing us up the poo-chute will be dead before the world explodes. They get to enjoy the pretty world and all its riches whilst they violently rape it in the alley.

There will be a point where the issues become large enough that something long-term needs to be found (i.e. oil running out). Necessity is the mother of all invention, and that's the point where humanity will start trying to turn this billion-tonne ship away from the proverbial iceberg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr A Smith)
    The question is: Do we orchestrate the transition to the best of our ability, or do we submit to the mercy of our environment’s revolution?
    Don't worry, the global economy will implode long before this Day After Tomorrow fictional apocalypse you perceive!

Chin-up, pessimist.

ReputationRep:
    You aware that there's actual a lot of science that claims global warming is actually real or if it then its bit actual out fault? Do remember we are coming out of an ice age

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We need to think long term with projects like this. Problem is that the government won't be around to see the consequences of their and our actions.

They bang in about "our children's, children" yet they don't make the essential steps needed. It's more than a government problem though, it's a global problem. We need countires like China to come on board, and developing countires like India, middle-easten countries and places in South Africa to come on board.

They refuse too because it's cheaper and they make the case of, you richer countires have been doing it, destroying the atmosphere, why can't we do when you lot have done for many decades. They used fancier words but the same point is made.

America, Britian or Europe can't solve this problem. EVERYONE has got to be involved and it just isn't happening for now.

ReputationRep:
    The biggest problem afflicting the world is poverty, and the elimination of poverty is more important and will save many more lives than the prevention of global warming. It's easy to talk about being environmentally friendly when you have central heating (or air conditioning), clean water, a reliable electricity supply and all the other amenities of modern first world life. Good luck convincing the other 5 billion people that economic growth should not be our priority though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barksy)
    . It is climate change; something which is actually natural. How do you think the planet came out of the ice age...
    Yes, climate change is natural, but not at the level at which it is currently occurring.

(Original post by LewisIsAmazen)
    You aware that there's actual a lot of science that claims global warming is actually real or if it then its bit actual out fault? Do remember we are coming out of an ice age
    I have absolutely no idea what your first sentence means. Which ice age is that?

Name:  150kyrs_petit150.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  157.4 KB

There is no real debate, anthropogenic global warming is fact. We're already condemned to a couple of tenths of a degree rise in temperatures, even if we cut emissions to 0.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously I meant to say isn't...
    If you seriously think manmade global warming is a 'fact' I suggest you do some more research. The last ice age might be as little as 10,000 year ago, an brief moment when you consider the age of this planet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you seriously think manmade global warming is a 'fact' I suggest you do some more research. The last ice age might be as little as 10,000 year ago, an brief moment when you consider the age of this planet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No scientific body of national or international standing agrees with you.

ReputationRep:
    Not formally, but ignorance to global warming would seem like a sign of agreeing, several developed countries haven't ratified the Kyoto protocol. Also most scientific bodies are funded and linked to governments therefore they're not likely to disagree with things that the government endorses. If global warming was such a problem we would have made significant strides toward combating it by now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And if you think no respected scientist agree I think you should look up the Oregon petition

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You make it sound like if we dont stop burning oil and gas the sun will explode and kill us all, chill out.

ReputationRep:
    I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not formally, but ignorance to global warming would seem like a sign of agreeing, several developed countries haven't ratified the Kyoto protocol. Also most scientific bodies are funded and linked to governments therefore they're not likely to disagree with things that the government endorses. If global warming was such a problem we would have made significant strides toward combating it by now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you serious? Clearly progress can't be made when people like you refuse to even accept that it's an issue. And yes, it's all a giant conspiracy. Nice tin foil hat.

And by the Oregon Petition, do you mean the petition with largely unverifiable signatures from engineers and other so called scientists such as 'Perry S. Mason', 'Michael J. Fox' and 'Dr. Geri Halliwell', 'I. C. Ewe' and 'Charles Darwin'?

ReputationRep:
    It's strange that the type of people that always claim to be so concerned about national debt 'for the sake of our children' are the type that by default dismiss anything to do with environmental concerns.

I suspect its because their enthusiasm for cutting healthcare, welfare and pensions for the less well off is tied up with the argument for cutting taxes for the rich, concentrating more wealth in the hands of the already privileged. Whilst tackling environmental issues doesn't offer an argument for making them personally richer, so they are not interested. They wouldn't care about the debt burden for our children either if their suggested solution didn't involve tax breaks for them.

ReputationRep:
    And if you think no respected scientist agree I think you should look up the Oregon petition

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I looked at that the other night. 39 of the 30,000 scientists were climate scientists, which makes the result irrelevant.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright, what's your degree in?

You're probably aware we're currently in a period known as the Holocene, not recovering from a glacial period. See this. I'm not really sure what your argument is. You accept global warming is occurring but you don't believe it's anthropogenic?

We know temperature is driven by CO2 emissions, we know we are causing an increase in CO2, so we know we are driving temperatures up.

Name:  co2-atmosphere.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  54.6 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Your sentiment is nice, but you know wailing the way you have will change nothing?

No, energy needs to be put towards solutions before you will weane anyone off the current course of action.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2013

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.