Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    What are the best paying retail employers (South East of England) for their starting pay please?
    I know about waitrose & M&S are known for paying above £7 an hour, but what about other companies?
    Please only post about jobs with wages above £7 an hour.

Does anyone know the hourly wage for a customer service assistant at:
    FCUK, Topshop, Monsoon, H&M, New Look, Dorothy Perkins, Accessorize, UGG, Patisserie Valerie, John Lewis, Mulberry, Karen Millen and Forever 21 ?

Thank you
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Umm...not many retail jobs pay over £7. A lot will pay minimum wage which depends on your age. For what it's worth though, Forever 21 pays £6.60 an hour and I believe in London, it's £7.50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATypicalTeenager)
    What are the best paying retail employers (South East of England) for their starting pay please?
    I know about waitrose & M&S are known for paying above £7 an hour, but what about other companies?

FCUK, Topshop, Monsoon, H&M, New Look, Dorothy Perkins, Accessorize, UGG, Patisserie Valerie, John Lewis, Mulberry, Karen Millen and Forever 21 ?

Thank you
    I'm not sure whether your in London. But I don't live in London and I was on £6.73 when I worked at M&S (left a year ago so may have gone up slightly) and just left H&M where the pay was around £6.23. Also I'm pretty sure Topshop are about minimum wage...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATypicalTeenager)

Thank you
    Retail jobs often don't pay above around £7, and with many companies it depends on age too. You're probably better off going for a company that pays time and a half or double on Sunday's and then working every other Sunday, or maybe even every Sunday.
    I know Aldi probably isn't the type you want to go for, but they have a very good wage of around £9 or £10 I think! Or Tesco if you're able to work in the clothing department? I don't know their wage though, I think it may be a little higher than M&S
    For M&S, they don't pay over £7, it's just under for permanent staff and about £6.50 for temporary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmatovey)
    Retail jobs often don't pay above around £7, and with many companies it depends on age too. You're probably better off going for a company that pays time and a half or double on Sunday's and then working every other Sunday, or maybe even every Sunday.
    I know Aldi probably isn't the type you want to go for, but they have a very good wage of around £9 or £10 I think! Or Tesco if you're able to work in the clothing department? I don't know their wage though, I think it may be a little higher than M&S
    For M&S, they don't pay over £7, it's just under for permanent staff and about £6.50 for temporary.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll perhaps look into Aldi. M&S do pay over £7 - I've worked for them previously - but it might be a London thing? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No worries.
    Oh, it might be different for London then. I work for them now in Coventry and it's £6.96 an hour (if you're not fire safety or first aid which adds about 50p p/h) and it's about £6.50 for temp. Not completely sure though because I was moved to permanent just as we had the pay rise. They don't pay new contractors time and a half on Sunday any more either...which sucks for me! I think I was one of the first contracts without it

ReputationRep:
    I worked for White Stuff (male/female clothing - similar to Fat Face) a year or so ago and they paid me just over £7 p/h and that was a Sales Assistant job. Based in Cardiff, though, which might be why it was a little more (capital city, etc). It was a stop-gap for me so I was happy with it. How have you gone about your search? Like, have you been cold calling the shops by just walking in with your CV and asked if they've positions? Because with that you won't really get any idea as to the pay until interview time.

Try online searches, too. Online listings sometimes list the salary. For a Sales Assistant job it might be quite a low annual wage so they might not share but it's worth a shot.

ReputationRep:
    As a former employee, I know Topshop and other Arcadia group stores (dorothy perkins) pay £7 an hour if you working in the zone 1 area I.e. west-end, Westfield shepherds bush, the city etc.. And Forever 21 pay £7.35-7.50. I don't know about the others though but I know pay differs between other London and places outside London also between central London and other districts due to travel costs.
    Moreover I have heard monsoon and accesorize pay well so it should be over £7.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.