Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

There is very little need for feminism in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edithwashere)
    If I had my way, then I'd make it compulsory for men to be educated (along with their sexual education, in school) not to rape people. But given it's part of a much bigger problem, a social and cultural problem where men are encouraged to chase women and woo them until they give in (a la Taming of the Shrew). It's a problem where no does not mean no, it means try harder until she says yes. There was a line in family guy - "50 no's and one yes, means yes". If a man wants to have sex with a woman, he knows he can do it - and get away with it, under the current judicial system - whether she likes it or not. I tried reporting my rape, I didn't take it to court when the police asked me what I was wearing, whether I tried to scream or fight him off, and proceeded to tell me off for being so stupid as to get in a situation where I was raped.

We live in a society where the rapist is not blamed, the victim is. That is a huge problem, and you can't just "solve" it, like you seem to want me to - hell, if I could solve it or even knew how to don't you think I would have done so already?
    Hey if you got mugged what are the cops gonna say? Don't have your valuables out late at night in dodgy areas. I don't see why "don't have your tits out late at night in dodgy areas" is any less appropriate. The world is not perfect, even if women ran the world you would still have rapists. We are just trying to drill some sense into your heads by telling you to take precautions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truffle_girl)
    No elaboration, as usual. In my opinion, feminism disapproves of chivalry, as feminism doesn't generally seem too keen on heterosexual relationships, as well as not liking the fact that most men LIKE to be chivalrous; if there's one thing feminism dislikes, it's whatever men LIKE.
    But isn't chivalry just special treatment of women because they are women? Isn't that what you think feminism is all about?

This is what I'm getting from your posts: Women shouldn't receive special treatment, but when feminists disapprove of receiving special treatment, it's an attack on men. Men's issues should be looked out for, but when feminists do it, it's an evil ploy.

And you guys wonder why nobody likes debating with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    Hey if you got mugged what are the cops gonna say? Don't have your valuables out late at night in dodgy areas. I don't see why "don't have your tits out late at night in dodgy areas" is any less appropriate. The world is not perfect, even if women ran the world you would still have rapists. We are just trying to drill some sense into your heads by telling you to take precautions.
    I don't think feminists have ever grasped the concept that with rights come responsibilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    (Original post by Algorithm69)
    I don't think feminists have ever grasped the concept that with rights come responsibilities.
    Oh lord. Things are about to heat up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    Oh lord. Things are about to heat up.
    It already has and the so-called "anti-feminists" have won. The feminists' "arguments", "facts" and "statistics" have been destroyed and they've left.

Pay gap myth = destroyed
    Male on female rape epidemic = destroyed
    Male issues are petty compared to female issues = destroyed
    Feminists also work to better males' position in society = destroyed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truffle_girl)
    Yet, when feminism does the same.................?
    If you'd paid attention you'd notice that I was basically reiterating the problem I'd stated in my previous post, where I said that much feminist literature/propaganda does the same. That doesn't make it OK. Maybe you knew I'd said that and just wanted to make out like I was ignoring it (to fit in with your idea of a feminist) by quoting the post that didn't repeat it?

ReputationRep:
    It already has and the so-called "anti-feminists" have won. The feminists' "arguments", "facts" and "statistics" have been destroyed and they've left.

Pay gap myth = destroyed
    Too bad all your valiant efforts to prove feminism is unnecessary were made irrelevant as soon as your buddy brought victim blaming into the thread, eh?

ReputationRep:
    Too bad all your valiant efforts to prove feminism is unnecessary were made irrelevant as soon as your buddy brought victim blaming into the thread, eh?
    This is another misconception feminists have. Any hint of advice about taking precautions is misinterpreted as victim blaming.

ReputationRep:
    This is another misconception feminists have. Any hint of advice about taking precautions is misinterpreted as victim blaming.
    Lol. Always the same line. "I'm not saying it's her fault, I'm just saying there are things she could have done to not get raped, and that she was stupid/irresponsible for not doing those things." Also the constant misconception that rape has anything to do with what a woman is wearing.

so facts.

so logic.

ReputationRep:

Pay gap myth = destroyed
    You have no idea how much I'm laughing at this absurdity right now.

Brick wall. Head. Banging the two together.
    Most of us don't have time for it.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Always the same line. "I'm not saying it's her fault, I'm just saying there are things she could have done to not get raped, and that she was stupid/irresponsible for not doing those things." Also the constant misconception that rape has anything to do with what a woman is wearing.

so facts.

so logic.
    QFT

ReputationRep:
    But isn't chivalry just special treatment of women because they are women? Isn't that what you think feminism is all about?

This is what I'm getting from your posts: Women shouldn't receive special treatment, but when feminists disapprove of receiving special treatment, it's an attack on men. Men's issues should be looked out for, but when feminists do it, it's an evil ploy.

And you guys wonder why nobody likes debating with you.
    Amen bro.

ReputationRep:

so facts.

so logic.
    Where did I or "my buddy" ever say anything about apparel?

It's funny how it's only feminists who throw a hissy fit when this sort of conversation takes place. If a father says to his son "make sure you don't get blind drunk, there's evil people out there" I bet no son ever has turned around and shouted "VICTIM BLAMING! YOU'RE SAYING THAT IF I'M ATTACKED THEN IT'S MY FAULT FOR BEING DRUNK!!!". Hell, my girlfriend tells me to be safe whenever I go out drinking. Should I dump her for victim blaming?

ReputationRep:

so facts.

so logic.
    Also QFT.

ReputationRep:
    Ah it seems the feminists have returned to spew petty insults and bro-fisting. Nothing of substance, however, as usual.

ReputationRep:
    Where did I or "my buddy" ever say anything about apparel?

It's funny how it's only feminists who throw a hissy fit when this sort of conversation takes place. If a father says to his son "make sure you don't get blind drunk, there's evil people out there" I bet no son ever has turned around and shouted "VICTIM BLAMING! YOU'RE SAYING THAT IF I'M ATTACKED THEN IT'S MY FAULT FOR BEING DRUNK!!!".
    Getting virtually comatose on alcohol is not the same as wearing a short skirt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Getting virtually comatose on alcohol is not the same as wearing a short skirt.
    Again, where did I ever suggest anything about clothing?

ReputationRep:

so facts.

so logic.
    You didn't actually counter his point here, just said that you expected him to say it. That last sentence may well be true, but thinking what you wear affects your chance of rape is just wrong, not sexist. In the same way protecting your PC from virusis by covering it in clingfilm is wrong, but in no way victim blaming.

ReputationRep:
    Again, where did I ever suggest anything about clothing?
    You're... responding... to... a... post... about... victim-blaming... on... the... basis... of... clothing... and... suggesting... we're... throwing... a... hissy-fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    You're... responding... to... a... post... about... victim-blaming... on... the... basis... of... clothing... and... suggesting... we're... throwing... a... hissy-fit.
    Lol watch out, you'll get it for "making ad-hominem attacks" soon. Us pesky feminists eh, so hostile and illogical :rolleyes:

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.