Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

There is very little need for feminism in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jreid1994)
    So slavery in the UK .... No,Just no. There is only two types of unpaid work actual slavery and volunteering. I'm going to guess that it men's the latter considering women make up most of the volunteer work sector.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    'Unpaid work' in this context is not volunteering or slavery. You can do your own research though, it shouldn't be hard to find out what it's talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    'Unpaid work' in this context is not volunteering or slavery. You can do your own research though, it shouldn't be hard to find out what it's talking about.
    There is only one kind I can think of unpaid apprentice positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    There's no point discussing consent if you don't think it's an issue, it genuinely isn't. I don't see any need for feminism, I haven't been presented with a single good reason for why feminism is good. You don't need to remind a moderator of the rules, I'm simply engaging in debate and expressing my views. I'm not trying to offend anyone here.
    To me this sums the thread up. i.e the fact that in nearly 1000 posts i've yet to see a convincing argument that feminism is necessary

ReputationRep:
    Unpaid work, as in raising children, or looking after sick relatives? They ARE paid; those who don't work, due to such commitments, get benefits. Those who do work, get child tax credits, still. Or in cases where they are in a couple, although the benefits are lowered (believe child tax credits still apply) this means the working partner's income is shared, anyway; disadvantaging the man and the woman equally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truffle_girl)
    Unpaid work, as in raising children, or looking after sick relatives? They ARE paid; those who don't work, due to such commitments, get benefits. Those who do work, get child tax credits, still. Or in cases where they are in a couple, although the benefits are lowered (believe child tax credits still apply) this means the working partner's income is shared, anyway; disadvantaging the man and the woman equally.
    All the work involved in keeping a house, ie housework, is also classed as unpaid work. It's still overwhelmingly the woman that does that, even where both parties have the same amount of paid work outside the home. And no I don't have anything to back that up, it's been a long time since I read about it.

ReputationRep:
    All the work involved in keeping a house, ie housework, is also classed as unpaid work. It's still overwhelmingly the woman that does that, even where both parties have the same amount of paid work outside the home. And no I don't have anything to back that up, it's been a long time since I read about it.
    :rolleyes: that's subjective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was it this, by any chance? http://www.buzzfeed.com/annanorth/st...most-of-the-ho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Sexism doesn't just consist in discrimination in law; it also takes the form of opressive societal norms and structures, and these very much still exist. Take a read through this for a start.
    That page is a total joke; most of the posters need to look up the definition of sexism. I just flicked through the first 3 pages and most of them are just ******** behaviour from people who are just as likely to yell something at me to start a fight. I work in Mcdonalds/study Medicine and if I had a *****fit everytime a customer/patient tried to harmlessly flirt with me I'd live a very sad life indeed.

Feminism is just not neccessary in this country. Abroad yes of course, there is some truly sad attitudes in foreign countries with regards to oppression of women which really do need addressing. However to argue that only women are plighted is ludicrus. Look up A&E admission statistics, look up unprovoked assault statistics, look up police reports on domestic violence against men, look at the club enviroment with regards to charging, bouncer attitudes and dress rules. Look up divource settlements, court settlements and child allocations. Look up intakes in "caring" proffessions such as medicine and nursing.

To claim to fight for equality and then pursue changes that only positively benefit one gender is absolutely disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    it woulld hit the gingum shirt trade pretty bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    That page is a total joke; most of the posters need to look up the definition of sexism. I just flicked through the first 3 pages and most of them are just ******** behaviour from people who are just as likely to yell something at me to start a fight. I work in Mcdonalds/study Medicine and if I had a *****fit everytime a customer/patient tried to harmlessly flirt with me I'd live a very sad life indeed.

Feminism is just not neccessary in this country. Abroad yes of course, there is some truly sad attitudes in foreign countries with regards to oppression of women which really do need addressing. However to argue that only women are plighted is ludicrus. Look up A&E admission statistics, look up unprovoked assault statistics, look at the club enviroment with regards to charging, bouncer attitudes and dress rules. Look up divource settlements, court settlements and child allocations. Look up intakes in "caring" proffessions such as medicine and nursing.

To claim to fight for equality and then pursue changes that only positively benefit one gender is absolutely disgusting.
    Good post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)

Feminism is just not neccessary in this country. Abroad yes of course, there is some truly sad attitudes in foreign countries with regards to oppression of women which really do need addressing. However to argue that only women are plighted is ludicrus. Look up A&E admission statistics, look up unprovoked assault statistics, look at the club enviroment with regards to charging, bouncer attitudes and dress rules. Look up divource settlements, court settlements and child allocations. Look up intakes in "caring" proffessions such as medicine and nursing.

In regards to your final sentence - evidence? I'm part of a feminist group that regularly raises money for a non gender specific charity (Shelter). Is that only positively benefiting one gender?

Sexism works both ways, as shown in this infograph https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...55869271_n.png

For some reason whatever sources we post up here, be them from the UN or the BBC or the Guardian, all of which to me seem to be perfectly fair sources, we've been told they "don't count" or "aren't true". Can you back this up? Saying gender based violence and abuse isn't a problem is like saying that racial violence is not a problem. It exists, and it shouldn't, and it is one of the many things that feminism fights for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edithwashere)
    In regards to your final sentence - evidence? I'm part of a feminist group that regularly raises money for a non gender specific charity (Shelter). Is that only positively benefiting one gender?

Sexism works both ways, as shown in this infograph https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...55869271_n.png
    I'm not clear exactly what you mean here:

Are you agreeing with that picture, or are you calling the picture sexist?

ReputationRep:

For some reason whatever sources we post up here, be them from the UN or the BBC or the Guardian, all of which to me seem to be perfectly fair sources, we've been told they "don't count" or "aren't true". Can you back this up? Saying gender based violence and abuse isn't a problem is like saying that racial violence is not a problem. It exists, and it shouldn't, and it is one of the many things that feminism fights for.
    fem·i·nism
    /ˈfeməˌnizəm/
    Noun
    The advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

You're part of an egalitarianism by definition something which I am a heavy advocate of. Every point I threw up was something negatively effects men much more than it does women, I never said your sources were poor. I've only just entered the debate, well more threw in my 2c.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I'm not clear exactly what you mean here:

Are you agreeing with that picture, or are you calling the picture sexist?
    I agree with the picture, I think it hits the nail on the head with at least a couple of issues we've discussed previously in the thread.

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: Hang on............one of those 'studies', which focuses solely on HOUSEWORK? Ignoring things such as decorating, gardening, D.I.Y. and such like? I've come across studies, which suggest that, when considering hours worked and commuting, and ALL kinds of "unpaid work", it's roughly equal.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the picture, I think it hits the nail on the head with at least a couple of issues we've discussed previously in the thread.
    You agree with an image that says "reverse sexism doesn't exist", implying women cannot be sexist against men?

Sorry, but I don't know how you expect feminism to get support with attitudes like that. That will just turn off lots of people IMO.

Anyway, could we not just use an example of primary school teachers (overwhelmingly female) and school academic performance (females do better)? This is obviously due to sexist matriarchal discriminatory attitudes instilled in these children from a young age etc etc etc... [/sarcasm]

ReputationRep:
    You agree with an image that says "reverse sexism doesn't exist", implying women cannot be sexist against men?

Sorry, but I don't know how you expect feminism to get support with attitudes like that. That will just turn off lots of people IMO.
    Did you actually read the infograph? I don't know how you want me to rephrase it but saying reverse sexism doesn't exist does not imply that women cannot be sexist against men. That's sexism, not "reverse sexism". I think the infograph is pretty clear and if that's all you take from it you clearly didn't think very far into the ideas covered on the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    Did you actually read the infograph? I don't know how you want me to rephrase it but saying reverse sexism doesn't exist does not imply that women cannot be sexist against men. That's sexism, not "reverse sexism". I think the infograph is pretty clear and if that's all you take from it you clearly didn't think very far into the ideas covered on the whole thing.
    Yeah, I read the picture thing. I'm not really getting your interpretation of it though.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but it says:

SEXISM: Men oppressing women
    REVERSE SEXISM: Women oppressing men

Then at the top of the picture, says "reverse sexism does not exist".

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I read the picture thing. I'm not really getting your interpretation of it though.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but it says:

SEXISM: Men oppressing women
    REVERSE SEXISM: Women oppressing men

Then at the top of the picture, says "reverse sexism does not exist".
    Yeah, I'm a little confused as why it says that too.

ReputationRep:
    That picture is nonsense. For starters, there is still this UNSUBSTANTIATED idea of 'the patriarchy', around which the 'logic' of the message in that link is based. Making out that, if MEN are sexist against men, then it's not reverse sexism, is stupid, in as much as the outcomes are still the same; who's DOING the oppression is rather irrelevant. Noone's claiming that feminism, female privilege and misandry is all the work of women.

Even if the show IS run by a FEW, SELECT men, this doesn't automatically make it the result of discrimination, neither does it make it discriminatory against women, in terms of the end result. 52% of voters are female; it makes more sense to pander to women, than men.

The only truthful point, or implication, or near-implication, is that sexism can be against men, FROM men; which, as I've said, noone has argued against, anyway.

For some reason whatever sources we post up here, be them from the UN or the BBC or the Guardian, all of which to me seem to be perfectly fair sources, we've been told they "don't count" or "aren't true". Can you back this up?
    People have used logical arguments; that you choose to ignore them is not their problem, but yours.

Saying gender based violence and abuse isn't a problem is like saying that racial violence is not a problem. It exists, and it shouldn't, and it is one of the many things that feminism fights for.
    Given that statistics have been posted, showing men to be the prime victims of violence, why is feminism fighting only against violence against WOMEN?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.