Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

There is very little need for feminism in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow.panda)
    Care to take a look at the 20,000+ entries on Everyday Sexism and see if you still feel the same way afterwards? I have also posted my own experiences, I'm sad to say.
    I just looked that website. How ironic that it's for women only!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    where does it say that it's only for women?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottled)
    And again. It isn't necessarily a woman only issue . men are discouraged from some professions such as baby sitting, nuesery work etc due to conceptions such as men being extremely likely to be a pervert.
    True and such attitudes are wrong as well. But they certianly don't detract from the problems faced by women, they just show that sexism cuts both ways. Also, I've been told that men who do enter into such fields of work tend to progress up the career ladder very quickly, I don't how much truth there is in that assertion though myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBritishArmy)
    I'm fed up of people constantly seeking out things to be offended by. I think it's pathetic that women are offended by statements like "man up" etc.
    We've got a feminist who doesn't like 'the' because it has 'HE' in it.

(Original post by edithwashere)
    Some men think that if a woman withdraws consent after doing other sexual activity then it is not rape.
    Would anyone 'withdraw consent' after doing any sexual activity? How does that work?

'Oh, you just came in me? I now withdraw consent so you've just technically raped me'.

It's ****ing stupid.

If you meant during sex, then why would anyone 'withdraw consent'?

How else can they be taught other than through education?
    Well I'm sure everyone knows rape's a crime and what rape is, last thing I need is more patronisation about 'don't rape women, they're harmless and you're integrating your evil with them'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    where does it say that it's only for women?

"The Everyday Sexism Project exists to catalogue instances of sexism experienced by women on a day to day basis. They might be serious or minor, outrageously offensive or so niggling and normalised that you don’t even feel able to protest. Say as much or as little as you like, use your real name or a pseudonym – it’s up to you. By sharing your story you’re showing the world that sexism does exist, it is faced by women everyday and it is a valid problem to discuss."

http://www.everydaysexism.com/index.php/about - it's all women, women, women.

Yet, in reality, sexism is faced by both men and women; and among the more intelligent demographics (such as those on TSR), I'd say (with a few unacceptable exceptions) that there's often more sexism against men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Would anyone 'withdraw consent' after doing any sexual activity? How does that work?

'Oh, you just came in me? I now withdraw consent so you've just technically raped me'.

It's ****ing stupid.

Sex can sometimes feel uncomfortable and painful, sometimes a woman can get 'torn' during sex or suddenly she may just simply don't feel like she isn't in the mood for it anymore. If a woman openly says to her partner that she doesn't want to do it anymore, the man has to stop as if he continues it is classified as rape. Anyway my point is there are many reasons why someone would withdraw consent.

ReputationRep:
    "The Everyday Sexism Project exists to catalogue instances of sexism experienced by women on a day to day basis. They might be serious or minor, outrageously offensive or so niggling and normalised that you don’t even feel able to protest. Say as much or as little as you like, use your real name or a pseudonym – it’s up to you. By sharing your story you’re showing the world that sexism does exist, it is faced by women everyday and it is a valid problem to discuss."

http://www.everydaysexism.com/index.php/about - it's all women, women, women.

Yet, in reality, sexism is faced by both men and women; and among the more intelligent demographics (such as those on TSR), I'd say (with a few unacceptable exceptions) that there's often more sexism against men.
    I find it amazing how women are expected to sympathise with men's issues when men are belittling women's issues and are telling us to suck it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dartanoir)
    I find it amazing how women are expected to sympathise with men's issues when men are belittling women's issues and are telling us to suck it up.
    This.

Sorry, but saying that gender inequality is not a problem anymore is a lie. Some guys are getting seriously resentful of women in general and I genuinely don't know why. Women are referred to as a minority... But we are 50% of the damn population.

Do you know what it's like finding out that statistically, it doesn't matter how hard we work at school or what I achieve at university, because we're likely to still get paid 11% less than a man in the same job with the same qualifications? It's ****ing demoralising and sad and unfair. Women are not a minority. I really don't care about a 40:50 woman man ratio in the workplace, I really don't. But it's more like 20:80 and that's not fair or ok if we are literally of the same number as the other human beings on the earth with a penis.

Lots of make posters here are basically telling 'women' to suck it up because they sometimes get **** for being a guy, too. But using that to attack the idea of gender equality seems kind of bizarre. There's a better way of voicing your own experiences of discrimination as a man than belittling women's, isn't there? It isn't a competition and it isn't some sort of achievement. And telling women to shut it just wrecks the value of expressing your own experiences of prejudice.

There was a study done (not sure of source, but it's everywhere, I may google :P) on people our age, asking girls and boys what they would do if they woke up to find themselves the opposite gender. The girls typically expressed surprise and disappointment, then listed the things they would do (peeing standing up, dammit!) but the guys, with an overwhelming majority, answered 'kill myself'. I found that pretty powerful.

People may be getting tired of the whole 'boo hoo oppressed women' and maybe it's pissing all of you off or something. But I am not one of a minority. So why am I treated and referred to as one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    We've got a feminist who doesn't like 'the' because it has 'HE' in it.

It's ****ing stupid.

Well I'm sure everyone knows rape's a crime and what rape is, last thing I need is more patronisation about 'don't rape women, they're harmless and you're integrating your evil with them'.
    So if you decide to get naked in bed with a guy, but then say that you don't want to have sex, but he has sex with you. That's what withdrawing consent means. Or even in the middle of sex if you decide you want to stop, and he keeps going despite you asking him to. That's rape too. Is that really "stupid"? It's extremely offensive to rape survivors to suggest that withdrawal of consent is stupid. Try having a little empathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Fruitbat)
    This.

Sorry, but saying that gender inequality is not a problem anymore is a lie. Some guys are getting seriously resentful of women in general and I genuinely don't know why. Women are referred to as a minority... But we are 50% of the damn population.

Do you know what it's like finding out that statistically, it doesn't matter how hard we work at school or what I achieve at university, because we're likely to still get paid 11% less than a man in the same job with the same qualifications? It's ****ing demoralising and sad and unfair. Women are not a minority. I really don't care about a 40:50 woman man ratio in the workplace, I really don't. But it's more like 20:80 and that's not fair or ok if we are literally of the same number as the other human beings on the earth with a penis.

Lots of make posters here are basically telling 'women' to suck it up because they sometimes get **** for being a guy, too. But using that to attack the idea of gender equality seems kind of bizarre. There's a better way of voicing your own experiences of discrimination as a man than belittling women's, isn't there? It isn't a competition and it isn't some sort of achievement. And telling women to shut it just wrecks the value of expressing your own experiences of prejudice.

There was a study done (not sure of source, but it's everywhere, I may google :P) on people our age, asking girls and boys what they would do if they woke up to find themselves the opposite gender. The girls typically expressed surprise and disappointment, then listed the things they would do (peeing standing up, dammit!) but the guys, with an overwhelming majority, answered 'kill myself'. I found that pretty powerful.

People may be getting tired of the whole 'boo hoo oppressed women' and maybe it's pissing all of you off or something. But I am not one of a minority. So why am I treated and referred to as one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've run out of rep today, but thumbs up to this! Great post

ReputationRep:
    Sexism against men is wrong too of course, but bear in mind that women have been treated as second class citizens for most of human history and only relatively recently have people started to take a stand. We've only had equal voting rights since 1928 and the Equal Pay Act only came into force in 1975. Can you recall a time when men were treated as inferior citizens?

ReputationRep:
    Sexism against men is wrong too of course, but bear in mind that women have been treated as second class citizens for most of human history and only relatively recently have people started to take a stand. We've only had equal voting rights since 1928 and the Equal Pay Act only came into force in 1975. Can you recall a time when men were treated as inferior citizens?
    True dat. I find it kind of ironic that critics of feminism keep saying we have a victim complex, yet they're desperate to find any example of where men are victims of sexism. It seems a rather thin veil for a not very well hidden disdain of women and women's rights.

ReputationRep:
    I saw earlier that someone wrote how men can't do some jobs like childminding and nursery work because they are judged as being perverts - women and men have both been caught doing "perverted" acts towards children and from my experience as a nursery nurse, I have worked alongside several men who were less qualified than me but yet were still paid more than me!! This shows that even in the roles that are considered discriminating towards men - MEN are still better rewarded for the job than women

ReputationRep:
    True dat. I find it kind of ironic that critics of feminism keep saying we have a victim complex, yet they're desperate to find any example of where men are victims of sexism. It seems a rather thin veil for a not very well hidden disdain of women and women's rights.
    I agree. If they're going to tell us to stop whining and taking sexism so seriously, then maybe they should too? I'm pretty sure if I hurled vile sexual vitriol at a man in the street they'd feel uncomfortable, but if it's aimed at me, I should apparently take it as a compliment, because even according to my mother, "it doesn't last forever"!

ReputationRep:
    Almost everyone on this site was not alive when that happened so why is it at all relevent now that women had it worse in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Almost everyone on this site was not alive when that happened so why is it at all relevent now that women had it worse in the past.
    Because we still have it worse. Duh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Sexism doesn't just consist in discrimination in law; it also takes the form of opressive societal norms and structures, and these very much still exist. Take a read through this for a start.
    Such rubbish. Do men complain due to the stereotype of being strong, the breadwinner etc? No. We accept it, realise people differ, and move on. We don't sit and cry about how we don't live in a fairy tale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Such rubbish. Do men complain due to the stereotype of being strong, the breadwinner etc? No. We accept it, realise people differ, and move on. We don;t sit and cry about how we don't live in a fairy tale.
    So basically if a woman fights for women's rights then she's sitting around and crying, but if a guy fights for men's rights then he's some kind of hero? How about all the men on here who are whining? You do realise what you just said is both a generalisation and sexist, right?

ReputationRep:
    So basically if a woman fights for women's rights then she's sitting around and crying, but if a guy fights for men's rights then he's some kind of hero? How about all the men on here who are whining? You do realise what you just said is both a generalisation and sexist, right?
    No. If a woman sits around moaning, she is moaning.
    She HAS equal rights. Find me one law that is not equal or enforces this idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    No. If a woman sits around moaning, she is moaning.
    She HAS equal rights. Find me one law that is not equal or enforces this idea.
    Have you read anything that feminists have written in this thread? The problem is not law, it's culture and society. If you really think all we're doing is moaning then you clearly have no concept of what feminists are striving to achieve nor the ways in which we do so.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.