Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

A Level Law? (don't want to do a Law degree) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 currently so nearly done with my GCSEs, and it's about the time to choose A Levels. I initially went for English Language, English Literature, Sociology and Psychology, but when I had my interview for my school's sixth form it turns out English Lit and Sociology clash in next year's timetable, so I had to unfortunately choose something else over one of those (as I really want to do Sociology, I had to drop English Lit). And in the block of the timetable I had to choose from were really awful choices for me, I think there was Photography (I'm reaaaally not artistic), Dance (as if), Food Tech, Maths (I know it's an important one but I can barely stand/handle it at GCSE), the sciences (I'm getting Bs at GCSE so was advised not to do it as that translates to at best a D grade stereotypically), Engineering, French, Media Studies (a BTEC, I really don't want to do a BTEC course), History, Geography, Countryside Management, Computer Science and Law. I think that was it To be honest I really don't fancy any of those, Law is the only one I'm vaguely interested in.

I've read a lot about Law A Level being frowned upon at University, especially if you do a Law degree. I want to do Journalism at Uni so really it's only my English Language that helps, but I suppose the Psychology, Sociology and Law will work to improve my writing further. I just wondered if Law was a good or bad choice as my 4th A Level; it's really my only choice as I really don't want to do something I'm not at all interested in just because it's seen as better.

ReputationRep:
    If you like French I'd go for that. It's a strong subject and I'm not sure how advanced it'd make your French but to me being able to speak another language seems amazing. History is also a strong subject and Geography is too, although it's seen as easier imo.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really like French at all, I was good enough at it to pass (my school is a language college and top set is fast tracked in French and finish in year 10 if they pass, then move onto Italian or Mandarin after that, I do Italian) but I only scraped a B and it would be like a fresh start for me as I honestly can't remember most of it

ReputationRep:
    If I'm honest

English Language
    Sociology
    Psychology
    Law

Is a very weak list of subjects. English Lit would be more useful than English Language for Journalism anyway in terms of university admissions. If you're aiming for a Russell Group university you should try to put at least 1 facilitating subject in there.

ReputationRep:
    Law a level is quite boring for the first 6 months but then it gets interesting.
    It will build your essay writing and analytical skills.

ReputationRep:
    I do law a level and I absolutely love it. Having researched unis they don't mind you having law a level at all and the rubbish about them not accepting it is a myth. I only know of two unis that are a bit iffy about it but even those will often give you an offer. So I really recommend law a level. Saying that however, sociology law and psychology together doesn't look that great but for journalism they would probably be helpful hope this helps! I really do recommend law

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For a Journalism degree strong essay writing subjects which improve your ability to reason and argue points would be best like History or maybe even Politics.

ReputationRep:
    And it turns out I won't need to do Law now! My head of sixth form was very unhelpful and didn't mention I can do English Lit at another school. I had to drop my Psychology at my school for that but I can do it at another school, thing is I really don't like that school.... Which is a stupid reason but then also I think my combo of A Levels isn't the best, so perhaps it's a blessing in disguise making me not do Psychology!

This sounds probably quite immature but I really couldn't do History, I'm so so bored by it and I'm concious of doing something that really disinterests me, I wouldn't be able to do well enough at it. That's just who I am.

ReputationRep:
    For journalism you'd be better off doing an English degree at the most prestigious university you can get into. Get involved in student journalism or radio asap. Then do a postgraduate practical journalism course.

Neither sociology nor law are seen as hard A levels. Psychology is becoming more respectable. Add on history or politics and read a lot.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.