The Student Room Group

Private schools should be banned!!!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Pikachu123
I believe education should be a sector that should be completely government controlled; that is not to say I advocate following strict government curriculum, rather I believe that a child's basic education should not be influenced by factors such as wealth.

If we are to improve the social mobility of the UK we must expose all children to the same quality of education; this is fundamental to our future generations' progress. Already there is a huge disparity between independent and state funded schools - it is evident by looking at the level of the Common Entrance exam.

Some may argue that the wealthy will always find some means to improve their child's education even if independent schools were to be abolished, that is true; there is no denying that they have the option to send their child to a boarding school in a foreign country, however what happens outside the UK is not the jurisdiction of the UK, therefore should not affect a decision about ENGLISH education. Hiring private tutors is also an option, however hours outside of school is limited; therefore there is less of a difference between the level in which all children are educated at.

Education is a fundamental human right, it is akin to being able to receive medical treatment. Should we not aspire to a better quality of these services for all? Not being able to even make an intelligent, informed decision in elections is an extremely sad state of affairs (which is 38.7% of us), every human being (in the UK) should receive the opportunity to enrich their mind to such a degree.

Banning education would not worsen the experience for all; on the contrary there would be incentive for all (which will include the wealthy - those with the most power) to improve the educational sector and pressurize the government to invest in schools.

Continuing to support independent schools is also a way of segregating those who are wealthy and those who are not; as a general rule. It makes the division between them stark and the wealthy will not be able to identify with those less fortunate, and vice versa. Both will be engulfed within their own 'culture' (evidently this is where the 'chav' culture arose). Being able to expose children to all different types of socioeconomic classes may eventually end the unfounded (and wholly ignorant,) hateful view of the upper echelons of society.

That is why private schools should be banned, they really should be. Rant over.
I know this topic has been covered over many times but I wanted to express my opinion and hope to provide a fresh perspective on this topic (and hopefully influence people into supporting the idea of banning private schools). What I don't understand is the fact that some people are unsupportive of this idea, I mean; their arguments are entirely founded on the basis of the child's right to a better education resting solely on the competence of their parents? Am I right? This doesn't make sense, people don't chose their parents...

P.S. Sorry for any grammatical (or spelling) mistakes in this post.

The ratio of intelligent:unintelligent people on studentroom is approximately 8:20

The problem with this approach is that it wouldn't raise educational achievement. Firstly, private and public schools which perform disproportionately well would be abolished, lowering average attainment. Then all the privately educated students would have to be provided for, increasing the burden on the state, therefore leading to less spending on others aspects of education such as resources. Therefore, the average state school pupil would suffer a slight fall in achievement, whilst private/public school students would probably achieve significantly worse than they did before. Therefore the overall impact would be negative - hence your approach would achieve equality by dragging down performance. And in such a globalised world, this would be even more damaging than it would have been before.
Original post by the mezzil
30k is a lot. You are rich by my, and worldwide standards.

30k is not a lot (it isnothing really) - is not much mire than the average income - £100k is a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
I believe education should be a sector that should be completely government controlled; that is not to say I advocate following strict government curriculum, rather I believe that a child's basic education should not be influenced by factors such as wealth.

If we are to improve the social mobility of the UK we must expose all children to the same quality of education; this is fundamental to our future generations' progress. Already there is a huge disparity between independent and state funded schools - it is evident by looking at the level of the Common Entrance exam.

Some may argue that the wealthy will always find some means to improve their child's education even if independent schools were to be abolished, that is true; there is no denying that they have the option to send their child to a boarding school in a foreign country, however what happens outside the UK is not the jurisdiction of the UK, therefore should not affect a decision about ENGLISH education. Hiring private tutors is also an option, however hours outside of school is limited; therefore there is less of a difference between the level in which all children are educated at.

Education is a fundamental human right, it is akin to being able to receive medical treatment. Should we not aspire to a better quality of these services for all? Not being able to even make an intelligent, informed decision in elections is an extremely sad state of affairs (which is 38.7% of us), every human being (in the UK) should receive the opportunity to enrich their mind to such a degree.

Banning education would not worsen the experience for all; on the contrary there would be incentive for all (which will include the wealthy - those with the most power) to improve the educational sector and pressurize the government to invest in schools.

Continuing to support independent schools is also a way of segregating those who are wealthy and those who are not; as a general rule. It makes the division between them stark and the wealthy will not be able to identify with those less fortunate, and vice versa. Both will be engulfed within their own 'culture' (evidently this is where the 'chav' culture arose). Being able to expose children to all different types of socioeconomic classes may eventually end the unfounded (and wholly ignorant,) hateful view of the upper echelons of society.

I know this topic has been covered over many times but I wanted to express my opinion and hope to provide a fresh perspective on this topic (and hopefully influence people into supporting the idea of banning private schools). What I don't understand is the fact that some people are unsupportive of this idea, I mean; their arguments are entirely founded on the basis of the child's right to a better education resting solely on the competence of their parents? Am I right? This doesn't make sense, people don't chose their parents...

The ratio of intelligent:unintelligent people on studentroom is approximately 8:20

State-controlled indoctrination for all? No thanks.
Original post by Joinedup
The private school buys part of the state school and then takes a high proportion of the state schools budget each year forever?

The state school presumably gets a lump sum of cash for the 'sale' which might help with some urgent capital investment in the short term, but it's soon going to be ruined in terms of meeting it's running costs and salaries.

seems like PFI from hell with a turbocharger bolted on.

I'm also more than a bit skeptical the private schools really know more about running inner city comprehensives than the people already running inner city comprehensives.

The lump sum would only be ' ruined ' if it was mismanaged badly which is likely if left to the present education ' administrators '.

End of the day, teachers private or public need to be paid - so what is your point ?

I think most people would give a better chance to private schools to do a better job with inner city schools, it really can't do any worse than the current lot.
Reply 124
Punishing the wealthy for being wealthy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okHGCz6xxiw
The biggest problem with education is government involvement.

Best way would be to hand over schools to a teacher cooperative that runs and decides how to fund the school.

Not only will it force schools to be more efficient but also people won't have to fund educations of other peoples kids and they will have choice.
Reply 126
To be honest people, i would rather live in syria than go to a state school, thats just me :wink: haters gon' hate . cant change who i am ! cant be around all the vermin of society
Is it not as much about giving people options as anything else?
Reply 128
Original post by TheBritishArmy
If people wish to provide a service and others wish to buy it, the state has no right to tell the parties involved that they cannot make this transaction.

You're right, assassination is sweet, it's cool for people to buy all kinds of drugs - hey if I want someone water boarded and someone is willing to sell it, who has the right to stop that transaction? (sarcasm).
Reply 129
Original post by JLD93
Punishing the wealthy for being wealthy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okHGCz6xxiw

Please disassociate yourself from the politics of that villainous, wicked, power-hungry, money-grabbing, community-crushing witch and source someone who actually in some way has positively served society.
How would banning private schools stop an imbalance in education levels? The quality of free secondary schools varies wildly. The secondary school I went to got outstanding Ofsted reports every time and even the bottom set students would likely walk out with 5 C grades at the very least. This wasn't a private school though, it just happened to be a very well run school and I was lucky enough to live in the catchment area for it. Do you really think that banning private schools would solve anything? All that would happen is that towns with schools like the one I went to would suddenly be in massive demand from rich parents so that their kids could get a good education, which would push prices of housing in the area up, essentially meaning the only way you'd be able to send your kid to a good 'free' school would be to pay for the overpriced housing in the area, excluding all but the rich from being able to afford it.

Should private hospitals be banned?

Should private banks be banned?

Should taxi services be banned?

Should private childcare be banned?
Love the apology for spelling/grammar errors, but then ref. to intelligent to unintelligent people.
Reply 133
Hello
Reply 134
Original post by Jack22031994
30k is not a lot (it isnothing really) - is not much mire than the average income - £100k is a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you start earning 100k you would realise that it is nowhere near 'a lot'. Trust me, 'a lot' involves seven figures and upwards.
Original post by CEKTOP
If you start earning 100k you would realise that it is nowhere near 'a lot'. Trust me, 'a lot' involves seven figures and upwards.

Yeah in comparison it isn't a lot but 30k isnt a lot compared to anything
Reply 136
It seems to me that there's no point in depriving people of their right to have a choice. if you want to study under the direct governmental control, don't go to the public schools. but if you have nothing against it, then what?
Irony klaxon

Students saying £30k isn't a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tengo
You're right, assassination is sweet, it's cool for people to buy all kinds of drugs - hey if I want someone water boarded and someone is willing to sell it, who has the right to stop that transaction? (sarcasm).

Jesus, there are some stupid people on this forum.
Do victims of assassination / waterboarding consent to this? Are all parties involved consenting?
Your inability to grasp basic concepts is staggering.
Original post by 'Ello Dave!
What about selling drugs or soliciting a prostitute?

Same. As long as no one is being forced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending