Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Private schools should be banned!!!!!!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 'Ello Dave!)
    What about selling drugs or soliciting a prostitute?
    Same. As long as no one is being forced.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any reason why they should be banned. The solution is not to destroy private education and in so doing lower the quality of education for thousands of people, the solution is to improve the state education system to the point where they are not needed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forfrosne)
    I don't see any reason why they should be banned. The solution is not to destroy private education and in so doing lower the quality of education for thousands of people, the solution is to improve the state education system to the point where they are not needed!
    That would of course, be the best solution. But at the moment would you concede that the system is unfair?

ReputationRep:
    OK, so not everyone can afford the cost to go to private schools, afterall they do cost a lot!

But I don't really think we should banned private schools (personal opinion), as the state doesn't force us to go to praivate schools, we do have options to choose whether or not, studying in private schools.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a state school and I dont think private schools should be banned. The influences that children have at home are probably even more important than their school - my brother and I got good grades and ended up at good unis despite some awful state schooling. You cant tackle inequality by banning private schools, it goes much deeper than that. How is banning private schools going to help children who go to state schools anyway and have difficult home situations, like one or both parents going in and out of prison (as some of my friends did)? It will make absolutely no difference to their lives!!

ReputationRep:
    tl;dr version, I think cars should be banned because everyone doesn't have the money to buy a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -strawberry-)
    I go to a private school. I am not rich. I only pay 50% fees. It really bugs me when people say you have to be rich to go to a private school, there are plenty of cheaper ones around than the likes of Eton etc.
    and scholarships for gifted pupils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    That would of course, be the best solution. But at the moment would you concede that the system is unfair?
    I'm not sure unfair is the word, because it has this connotation of childishness. I think that private schools are necessary right now because state schools are sub-par in equipping children for university and/or life after school. Many private schools are not even that expensive and almost all have scholarships for bright, hard-working students. The moment the state sector is good enough that people want their children to go there then the private sector will start to have competition which is, in the end, good for everyone.

I believe it is far more important that we make sure that univerities do not discriminate based on whether the applicant went to a private school or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forfrosne)
    I'm not sure unfair is the word, because it has this connotation of childishness. I think that private schools are necessary right now because state schools are sub-par in equipping children for university and/or life after school. Many private schools are not even that expensive and almost all have scholarships for bright, hard-working students. The moment the state sector is good enough that people want their children to go there then the private sector will start to have competition which is, in the end, good for everyone.

I believe it is far more important that we make sure that univerities do not discriminate based on whether the applicant went to a private school or not.
    No, I disagree, I think unfair is appropriate. Theoretically, if child A and B have the same 'learning potential' but A goes to a private school while B goes to a state, would you not agree that A is much more likely to finish with better grades?

I don't agree there either. Private school pupils are statistically more likely to get higher grades, giving them an unfair advantage over state school pupils. As a higher percentage of private school pupils go on to further education and are in turn more likely to send their children to a private school, class mobility is reduced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBritishArmy)
    Jesus, there are some stupid people on this forum.
    Do victims of assassination / waterboarding consent to this? Are all parties involved consenting?
    Your inability to grasp basic concepts is staggering.
    I understand your concept but simply disagree with your logic. It is not as if nobody outside of the private education system is affected by it, actually. If you want to properly consider all parties then you have a massive number of people to gain consent from. The fact is that you're oversimplifying the issue.

ReputationRep:
    No, I disagree, I think unfair is appropriate. Theoretically, if child A and B have the same 'learning potential' but A goes to a private school while B goes to a state, would you not agree that A is much more likely to finish with better grades?

I don't agree there either. Private school pupils are statistically more likely to get higher grades, giving them an unfair advantage over state school pupils. As a higher percentage of private school pupils go on to further education and are in turn more likely to send their children to a private school, class mobility is reduced.
    Yes I would agree that that is the situation, but the solution is not to make everybody have worse education, it's to bring the state system up to par with the private system. Raise up, don't bring down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    30k is not a lot (it isnothing really) - is not much mire than the average income - £100k is a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
    By worldwide standards 30k is a lot. By British standards 30k is a lot. The mean average is 25k, that's 1/5 more than average. 30k = rich and middle class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -strawberry-)
    Not for a private school. A lot of my friends parents earn £100,000 a year. That is what I call rich.
    In the real world, you are rich. Read above post. Just by saying 30k is insignificant in terms of amount of money just shows how affluent you are.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    By worldwide standards 30k is a lot. By British standards 30k is a lot. The mean average is 25k, that's 1/5 more than average. 30k = rich and middle class.
    Middle Class doesn't equal "rich" though, that's why its called middle class because its not rich or poor,

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't think private schools should be banned. It isn't all dependent on how much money you have. Yes, the vast majority do pay fees, but there are also scholarships for people who can't afford them but who will probably achieve more if they are at a private school. My mum saved for years so that me and my sister could go to a private school; she had to make sacrifices though, it wasn't like she had a few thousand pounds lying around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im not against private schools, but id like to see greater investment into education from the government. Government spending is better spent in our own economy as opposed to elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    Middle Class doesn't equal "rich" though, that's why its called middle class because its not rich or poor,
    Depends on what you view as rich. My view is middle class = affluent, especially those in private schools, even if it is only 50% fees, you still have to have a lot of disposable income to pay that sort of money.

ReputationRep:
    WHAT
    I'm so sorry...I completely disagree....the private school I go to has made my life....without it I wouldn't be going to uni or even had decent results ....I am what I am thanks to private schools..I went a state school for 6 years...got bullied, hit, verbally abused
    Maybe a personal bad experience but yeah just thought I'd say..
    No offence or anything x

ReputationRep:

You're acting as if school is the only factor.
    1) If you go to a private school, your parents probably value your education. If this is true, then you are more likely to be encouraged to apply/go to university
    2)People with more money are more likely to go too university
    3) People whose parents value education are more likely to Java had a head start, as they may have been read too as a child, taught and discussed things at home etc.
    4) People with more stable home lives are more likely to go to uni
    5)People from higher income areas are more likely to go to uni
    7)People with parents that have gone to uni are more likely to go to uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheldor)
    You're acting as if school is the only factor.
    1) If you go to a private school, your parents probably value your education. If this is true, then you are more likely to be encouraged to apply/go to university
    2)People with more money are more likely to go too university
    3) People whose parents value education are more likely to Java had a head start, as they may have been read too as a child, taught and discussed things at home etc.
    4) People with more stable home lives are more likely to go to uni
    5)People from higher income areas are more likely to go to uni
    7)People with parents that have gone to uni are more likely to go to uni
    That's probably all true. My point was that private schools are undoubtedly able to educate an average person to a higher level than a state school. This a privately schooled pupil a higher chance of getting into further ed than a state school pupil, which in turn makes it more likely that they can send their children to private schools. Would you not agree?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.