Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Would like to know your experiences about a SSRI tablet I'm on: Watch

ReputationRep:
    Alright guys, just a quick thread here, just looking to see if anyone else has had a similar experience to Mirtazapine.

My GP started me on them yesterday so I took my first at around 8pm last night, under advisory from my GP that they may make me feel slightly drowsy and so it would be best to take them at a later time.
    However, I have practically no recollection of last night after I took the tablet, now obviously it doesn't work instantaneously but all I can really recall is checking the time and it being 8:30pm, the room was spinning and I couldn't stand up or walk without supporting myself. The closest comparable feeling is that of being heavily drunk, but I grabbed a drink from my rucksack at the other end of my room, fell back into bed and then I woke up at around 9:30am this morning.

I had wanted an SSRI that stopped my anxious, fidgety and generally on edge behaviour and I had mentioned that my sleeping had been irregular and I had felt tired pretty much all the time and I have to hand it to this tablet, I certainly felt less sleepy but all day I've felt completely zoned out. I can only describe the feeling as watching myself all day, rather then actually performing it.
    I checked online and it seems that this is quite a regular effect after having taken Mirtazapine and so whilst I'm not particularly worried, I do want to give these tablets a chance as I've taken quite a few SSRI's for quite a while and none of them have made me feel 'better' especially not as quickly as this, the earliest I felt even the slimmest change negatively or positively in others was more then 24 hours but these worked very quickly. I'd also like to stress this is both why I've not reported this to my Doctor and that its not necessarily an uncomfortable feeling, but certainly very... 'Different'.

Again, I'd like to give these tablets a chance so if anyone else has had a similar experience to Mirtazapine (for the record, its 30mg), I'd be interested to know both what you felt and for how long and furthermore if you know of others who've had a similar experience with it too, as I both don't want to bother my GP with this if its common (though he did mention it may make me feel drowsy, he didn't say the opportunity exists that it'd make me feel like this) and furthermore as I'd like to try these for at least a few days before I change, which sounds ridiculous but again, after having tried quite a few, its almost nice to see one that seems to be 'working'.

Cheers in advance, guys.

I did not have similar symptoms, and I was on 45mg. The only effects it had on me were:

- Feeling very tired about 30 mins after taking it (and just tired, not lightheaded, no memory loss)
    - Made me really hungry all the time

Apart from that it was a great drug. It seems you reacted badly to it, probably best to see your doctor soonish and see if you should carry on. If it were me, I would try it for a few more days (even without seeing the doc) since it might wear off. If it does wear off, great! since it's such a good drug.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on mirtazipine for a while. At first I really struggled with the drowsiness, but the doctor recommended I take a higher dose (for some weird reason, the higher the dose, the less sleepy they make you). After that its been a lot better. (I started on 30mg and had to go up to 45mg).

Most anti-depressants can make you feel a bit shoddy for the first two weeks or so but stick with it. My anxiety and depression have been so much better now (about 6-7 months later). You should make an appointment with your doctor for about a fortnight after you've started taking them to gauge how its working for you.

Hope you start feeling better soon and let me know if you have anymore questions.

EDIT: they make you REEAAALLYYY hungry, so maybe increase your normal exercise!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for both of your quick responses, really appreciated. :cool:

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I did not have similar symptoms, and I was on 45mg. The only effects it had on me were:

- Feeling very tired about 30 mins after taking it (and just tired, not lightheaded, no memory loss)
    - Made me really hungry all the time

Apart from that it was a great drug. It seems you reacted badly to it, probably best to see your doctor soonish and see if you should carry on. If it were me, I would try it for a few more days (even without seeing the doc) since it might wear off. If it does wear off, great! since it's such a good drug.
    Like both yourself and Sam, I've also felt particularly hungry and very tired, but perhaps you're right that I just took a different tact to it, but having never had a reaction like this with other SSRI's I've been on, it was somewhat of a shock to suddenly find myself feeling that, though I was somewhat happier to hear quite a few others have had a similar reaction to it. Still, as you say, probably best to talk to my Doctor again, but I do (also like you say) want to try it for a bit longer just to see if its an initial speed bump.

Thanks for your response.

(Original post by samleigh)
    I've been on mirtazipine for a while. At first I really struggled with the drowsiness, but the doctor recommended I take a higher dose (for some weird reason, the higher the dose, the less sleepy they make you). After that its been a lot better. (I started on 30mg and had to go up to 45mg).

Most anti-depressants can make you feel a bit shoddy for the first two weeks or so but stick with it. My anxiety and depression have been so much better now (about 6-7 months later). You should make an appointment with your doctor for about a fortnight after you've started taking them to gauge how its working for you.

Hope you start feeling better soon and let me know if you have anymore questions.

EDIT: they make you REEAAALLYYY hungry, so maybe increase your normal exercise!
    Similarly as above, I felt both really hungry and really tired, but the latter was certainly mentioned in the little pamphlet thing you get with tablets/etc. Though as with the above response also, I've never had a bodily reaction to an SSRI like this, which is why I was a little bit 'Woah, hold on!' when a simple task like fetching a bottle of water suddenly turned into a dash across an active washing machine drum.

Glad it worked out for you both, though and again, thanks for the responses, really appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    First off, mirtazapine is not an SSRI. It works differently to SSRIs and hence has some different side effects too.

What you've described sounds quite common for mirtazapine, and often psychiatric drugs in general, it can be very sedating especially at lower doses, so you might want to ask to increase the dose if you don't want to put up with that side effect. It can also give you quite severe munchies which can lead to weight gain if you're not careful. I solve this by eating lots of stuff like celery and carrots, although tbh I've been on it about 3 years at 45mg so most of the tiredness and hunger has worn off for me.

Antidepressants generally take between 6 and 8 weeks to kick in so when you say you'd like to give it a few days, I would advise taking it for longer if you can put up with the side effects.

ReputationRep:
    Mirtrazapine is not an SSRI, it's a α2-adrenergic receptor antagonist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    Yes, as the previous posters said and as I forgot to mention its not actually an SSRI. Maybe that's why you're a bit shocked at the quick effects if you're used to SSRI's.

As mentioned, do give it more than a few days, I still felt a bit funny for a few weeks, but I feel good now

Hopefully by you feeling a bit 'whoa' and noticing the effects it means that these pills might be better suited to you than the others you have tried.

Do keep us updated on how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    Apologies in advance for the mistake, my Doctor had said he was putting me on a new SSRI though to be fair, we discussed several other factors between so its possible he changed his mind from what he was going to put me on that was an SSRI to Mirtazapine, though as I didn't hear him say this wasn't, I assumed it was the same as he'd said he was going to put me on which was the new tablet.

(Original post by USRaphael)
    First off, mirtazapine is not an SSRI. It works differently to SSRIs and hence has some different side effects too.

What you've described sounds quite common for mirtazapine, and often psychiatric drugs in general, it can be very sedating especially at lower doses, so you might want to ask to increase the dose if you don't want to put up with that side effect. It can also give you quite severe munchies which can lead to weight gain if you're not careful. I solve this by eating lots of stuff like celery and carrots, although tbh I've been on it about 3 years at 45mg so most of the tiredness and hunger has worn off for me.

Antidepressants generally take between 6 and 8 weeks to kick in so when you say you'd like to give it a few days, I would advise taking it for longer if you can put up with the side effects.
    Thanks for the reply, as I mentioned in my OP, it seemed quite a common response to this and so I wasn't particularly concerned. Furthermore, it has certainly already lead to a noticeable rise in my appetite, I generally eat very healthily and through trial and error with an active lifestyle I'd found what was generally keeping me pretty much squared away in regards to my intake, though after each meal today I felt noticeably more hungry afterwards then I recall ever feeling so that's certainly clear in itself.
    My Doctor also mentioned that with Mirtazapine it should be a very quick response in terms of how long it'd take to feel a dramatic effect and whilst I don't feel necessarily 'happier' I certainly feel less down then of late, though this could simply be me being drowsy and so I'll be taking it for a while nevertheless to ensure that its actually having the profound effect.
    In any case, thanks again for the reply.

(Original post by Rybee)
    As above, he'd said it was an SSRI but this was in relation to an unnamed tablet, one I'd assumed was Mirtazapine, but after further talks in relation to what I'm doing, its possible he changed his mind on what to try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samleigh)
    Yes, as the previous posters said and as I forgot to mention its not actually an SSRI. Maybe that's why you're a bit shocked at the quick effects if you're used to SSRI's.

As mentioned, do give it more than a few days, I still felt a bit funny for a few weeks, but I feel good now

Hopefully by you feeling a bit 'whoa' and noticing the effects it means that these pills might be better suited to you than the others you have tried.

Do keep us updated on how it goes!
    That's a good possibility, it was stated, also, on a few of these sites (though I didn't ask my Doctor directly) that its often the case between taking different tablets that the combination of left over traces and the new chemicals can lead to side effects and a generally more profound response then others may feel, however I've no actual merit to back this with, it was just what was said. :dontknow:

Likewise a hope was that as I've never had a reaction as profound as this to a tablet before (apart from a rather strong response to Codeine that pretty much knocked me out), it was having a more immediate and powerful impact, so here's hoping. :cool:

Again, thanks for the reply and I'll keep in check.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.