Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for information on the EURO single currency, but only from thoes who do know a good deal about it and are knowledgeable on economics.

Please answer first with one of the following statements:

I am anti EU and anti single currency.

I am pro EU and pro single currency.

I am anti EU but pro single currency.

I am anti single currency but pro EU.

Now answer these questions:

Is the single currency a good idea?

If yes what benefits does it bring?

if no was it a good idea in the begining until it failed?

Why did the Euro collapse?

Can the Euro be saved and how?

Should the Euro be saved?

Is the Euro 'fair' or does it create a divided Europe?

Can smaller economies like Greece, Cyprus, Spain, Portugal and Italy and larger economies like Germany be part of a single currency?

If the UK and all EU countries had all been in the EURO would it be stronger now?

Should the UK eventually join the EURO?

Is the EURO necessary for a European Union to function?

ReputationRep:
    Look at the Maastricht Treaty which created Economic and Monetary Union. The system was badly designed, a one size fits all policy (Well hello states are different). Greece lied to get in.

There is talk of more integration of resolving this crisis, banking union etc. Britain is out and if were to consider Euro then a referendum is required

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solarstorm)
    I am looking for information on the EURO single currency, but only from thoes who do know a good deal about it and are knowledgeable on economics.

Can smaller economies like Greece, Cyprus, Spain, Portugal and Italy and larger economies like Germany be part of a single currency?

If the UK and all EU countries had all been in the EURO would it be stronger now?

I am anti-EU, anti-Euro

The Euro is fundamentally flawed as Greece and other weaker economies can't keep up with the efficient German economy. And can't devalue their currencies to attract tourism like they used to. Look at Greece -the Euro is like been in an economic house on fire where the doors are locked shut.

It can be saved if the PIGS (Portugual, Ireland , Greece and Spain leave or if Berlin is happy to keep footing the bailout bill...how long to German resentment at bailing out frivolous neighbours runs out, I don't know..). It shouldn't be saved unless you don't mind Berlin effectively ruling Europe as it has the power to deny funding to Greece in order to enforce it's fiscal policies on other nations.

The UK was able to protect London and its economy by devaluing the pound to make exports more attractive to foreign countries. We also need to leave the EU so we have full control of our laws and borders. We have a trade deficit with the EU.

We are a net loser in the EU - spending £40million a day funding it!

The EU is fundamentally federalist and undemocratic and undermines British sovereignty

ReputationRep:

I am anti EU and anti single currency. YES

Is the single currency a good idea? GOOD FOR GERMANY AS IT ALLOWS THEM TO SEEL THEIR MANUFACTURING GOODS MORE CHEAPLY. BAD FOR EVERYBODY ELSE

if no was it a good idea in the begining until it failed? IT WAS A POOR IDEA THAT ONLY BENEFITTED BIG CORPORATIONS SO THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO DO CURRENCY SWAPS. SMALL AND MEDIUM SIZE FIRMS HATE IT.

Why did the Euro collapse? THE WHOLE CONCELT WAS FLAWED. YOU CAN'T HAVE A MONETARY UNION WITHOUT A POLITICAL UNION TO BACK IT UP. VERY POOR FISCAL POLICY FROM ALL BUT GERMANY & HOLLAND.

Can the Euro be saved and how? A UNITED STATES OF EUROPE COULD SAVE IT BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY'D PUSH THAT THROUGH WITH THE ELECTORATE.

Should the Euro be saved? LET IT DIE AND LET THE CLUB MED COUNTRIES SURVIVE AND RE BUILD

Is the Euro 'fair' or does it create a divided Europe? DIVIDED

Can smaller economies like Greece, Cyprus, Spain, Portugal and Italy and larger economies like Germany be part of a single currency? IT WOULD APPEAR NOT FROM WHAT WE'RE SEEING IN THE NEWS.

If the UK and all EU countries had all been in the EURO would it be stronger now? POSSIBLY, BUT ONLY BECAUSE THEY'D BE DRAINING OUR RESERVES TO PROP IT UP, BUT THE SAME WOULD HAPPEN.

Should the UK eventually join the EURO? HELL NO.

NAFTA, MERCOSUR & ASEAN COUNTRIES SEEM TO MANAGE PERFECTLY WELL WITHOUT A COMMON CURRENCY.
    See above in bold. Apologoes for teh Caps, but I do't know the short cut to de capitalise capitals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I am anti-EU, anti-Euro

The Euro is fundamentally flawed as Greece and other weaker economies can't keep up with the efficient German economy. And can't devalue their currencies to attract tourism like they used to. Look at Greece -the Euro is like been in an economic house on fire where the doors are locked shut.

It can be saved if the PIGS (Portugual, Ireland , Greece and Spain leave or if Berlin is happy to keep footing the bailout bill...how long to German resentment at bailing out frivolous neighbours runs out, I don't know..). It shouldn't be saved unless you don't mind Berlin effectively ruling Europe as it has the power to deny funding to Greece in order to enforce it's fiscal policies on other nations.

The UK was able to protect London and its economy by devaluing the pound to make exports more attractive to foreign countries. We also need to leave the EU so we have full control of our laws and borders. We have a trade deficit with the EU.

We are a net loser in the EU - spending £40million a day funding it!

The EU is fundamentally federalist and undemocratic and undermines British sovereignty
    Or if Germany leaves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Or if Germany leaves
    Then it would collapse as Germany is the founding pillar!

though I wouldn't mind- I don't the EUSSR to be happening on my watch!!

ReputationRep:
    Or if Germany leaves
    (Original post by a729)
    The Euro was based on the German Deutsche Mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    The Euro was based on the German Deutsche Mark

Well I think it's time UK went to been nonchalant towards Europe like it was before 1900 - it shouldn't have destroyed it's economy by joining WW1!

ReputationRep:
    See above in bold. Apologoes for teh Caps, but I do't know the short cut to de capitalise capitals.
    I expected this opinion because I am aware the general public do not like the EU but I had hoped for much more than this which is why I said only those knowledgable on the Euro and on ecconomics.

I did not mean to offend by saying that but I wanted to avoid the posts which are typical 'paranoid eurosceptic activisim' when it is not grounded in solid arguments and facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)

though I wouldn't mind- I don't the EUSSR to be happening on my watch!!
    It wouldn't collapse neccessarily. Germany leaves, the Euro drops in value and the struggling EuroZone nations in the South become competitve again.

I don't know why people seem to think the Euro experiment is all of Germanys making. It's a French Experiment that went wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't collapse neccessarily. Germany leaves, the Euro drops in value and the struggling EuroZone nations in the South become competitve again.

I don't know why people seem to think the Euro experiment is all of Germanys making. It's a French Experiment that went wrong.
    It would be unreliable after all who bets on a team when it's star player leaves!

Anyhow France wouldn't be able to soldier liablilty - Greece still needs top-ups in its bailout! It'd be like an indenpdent Scotland with Glasgow or Edinburgh remaining in the UK!

Look at this article for some insight into the origins of the EU -some of the most ardent supporters of the EU were ]

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Reich--EU.html)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    It would be unreliable after all who bets on a team when it's star player leaves!

Anyhow France wouldn't be able to soldier liablilty - Greece still needs top-ups in its bailout! It'd be like an indenpdent Scotland with Glasgow or Edinburgh remaining in the UK!

Look at this article for some insight into the origins of the EU -some of the most ardent supporters of the EU were ]

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Reich--EU.html)
    There was a lot of odd stuff being banded around at that time relating to carrying on with the Reich. The Germans had never wanted Western Europe, they wanted to expand east. They had to take out France to secure their flank, as they had to in World War 1.

The EU was a French plan to shackle themselves to Germany to ensure they didn't get humiliated again. Rememeber this was at the time of the end of WW2 where the French had been humilitated, they'd been humped by the Germans in WW1 and would've lost had it not been for the UK/Empire and the US and they'd been royally humiliated in the Franco Prussian War of the 1870's.

Incidentally, it was Bonapart who had forst coined the phrase United States of Europe.

Germanys the Banker I'd agree. But China's the US Banker. I'm just saying that the Euro would probably be better if Germany left.

ReputationRep:

I am anti-EU and I don't care about the single currency.

Well, I'm opposed to single currency within one country, never mind 15 or however many it is, but frankly I don't consider it that much of a big deal.

You don't have to change currency between Eurozone countries.

That's about it.

Hard to say, we're judging it in the context of the global financial crisis.

The global financial crisis.

Well, there basically two options:

i) Cut off Greece, Spain, Portugal and Italy (and potentially Ireland too) and keep going with the Northern Eurozone (with the loss of all political credibility).

ii) Continue to reduce Southern Europe to rubble on the vague hope that somehow it's going to work without social collapse.

If by method i), then I don't care. If by ii), then definitely not.

It's made divisions clearer - as it's specifically Germany that appears to be crushing Greece rather than global neoliberalism in general.

No. Not much would be different.

As the EU currently is (even if we ignore the crisis for the sake of argument) no. But as I said above, I don't care in principle about the idea of the single currency.

It functioned for decades before the Euro.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

I add the caveat that neither is fit for purpose at the current time however there existence is a positive.

Yes.

It brings lower transaction costs, simplification across state borders and perhaps most importantly it brings stability via discouraging a run on the currency (the Euro currency has been fairly stable, it's the bonds which saw a run).

N/A

The Euro has not collapsed but if you are referring to why the crisis occurred then that was a combination of a lack of competitiveness, lack of fiscal discipline and a lack of collectivized debt (Euro-bonds).

In regards to competitiveness one of the advantages/disadvantages of a single currency area is that it forces a level playing field thus if you are competitive the relatively weak currency will amplify this whilst if you are not then the relatively strong currency will crush you. What we have seen is that countries that are export focused have done fine (Ireland and Germany for example) whilst countries dependent on their domestic economies have struggled post-crisis (Spain and Greece for example).

In regards to a lack of fiscal discipline we have to bear in mind that Ireland and Spain are unlucky to have large deficits because they were actually in surplus however both of these were pretty construction dependent which with the massive housing collapse screwed them over, this however would have still been the case outside the Euro. For nations like Greece and Portugal they simply overspent and are now rightfully paying the price for their actions. Italy is actually fairly safe in that it has a low deficit but has maintained high debt levels.

Euro-bonds would have rendered this crisis obsolete had they being in place because the Euro as a whole is relatively safe with a lower deficit and debt than the USA. The flip side however is that whilst the periphery would have lower bond yields, the core would have higher yields.

Yes.

Fiscal union will ensure that states cannot run deficits because budgets will be approved by the European Parliament.

Euro-bonds will ensure the crisis does not repeat however these should not be brought in until all members are in surplus.

Yes, only idiots think it should be left to die. Were the Euro to collapse then the Deutch-mark and Franc would appreciate at a massive rate, German exports would suffer a shock and French exports would be hit severely. These are two of the UK's largest trading partners and so whilst in the long term it may not be a disaster, in the short term that's probably another deep recession.

It puts the economy on a level playing field and sorts the winners from the losers so it's probably not fair from a lefty point of view but i think it's very fair. The measures alluded to earlier would prevent this being a problem however.

Yes. For the countries in trouble they are being forced to remodel their economies and increase productivity making them more competitive, with measures alluded to earlier there shouldn't be a problem. For Germany, France, Ireland and a number of other countries the Euro is to their advantage via artificially low exchange rates.

No way to tell.

Only if fiscal union and debt collectivization takes place, subject to a referendum of course.

Not really, no.

You should remember however the Eurozone and EU are designed to lead to the creation of a federal union.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Well I think it's time UK went to been nonchalant towards Europe like it was before 1900 - it shouldn't have destroyed it's economy by joining WW1!
    Slight problem on that one. We got involved because Neutral Belgium got invaded. Had the Germans not tried to outflank the French by going through Belgium we'd have happily stayed out of that one.

However, it poses a question of do we stand aside when naked aggression takes place just because it costs us money. Or do we do the right thing?

ReputationRep:
    Slight problem on that one. We got involved because Neutral Belgium got invaded. Had the Germans not tried to outflank the French by going through Belgium we'd have happily stayed out of that one.

However, it poses a question of do we stand aside when naked aggression takes place just because it costs us money. Or do we do the right thing?

Though Britain had vested interested in not allowing Belgium valuable ports to be taken over by any major European power

ReputationRep:

A lot of questions and a pain to try answer in the text box. But here is my opinion:

A single currency will always be flawed when the countries operating under it are structurally different. Let me explain. To have a single currency, you need a single central bank. The central bank determines interest rates through the money supply. So that means one single interest rate will apply to these different countries. But say if country A has a balance of payments problem and thus requires a lower interest rate (depreciation makes imports more expensive). This comes into conflict with country B which is experiencing rampant inflation, thus requiring a higher interest rate to curb demand. So what rate is the optimal one? One size can't fit all; countries should be able to determine their own monetary policy as best fits with their situation.

In addition, while sharing a single currency, countries still have their own governments and can choose tax rates and budgets. This is why there have been calls for Fiscal Union, to even out the playing field. However, granting the EU control over monetary policy and fiscal policy would essentially create a federal government (such as America). This reduces the sovereignty of different nations. This, I believe, is not a good thing.

My view on the EU itself is that while created to open up markets, it has morphed into a monster bent on controlling member states. The EU is a trade bloc essentially; so why did they create a flag? That highlights their true intentions; a single Europe. While you may agree with that, I would rather have unique nations having control over themselves through democratic means, rather than laws being forced on you by some bureaucrat in Brussels. There is nothing stopping the countries of Europe having complete sovereignty and free trade deals. They also place tariffs on imports which keeps us out of emerging markets. The EU has outlived its original premise. It is failing. Let it die and restructure.

ReputationRep:
    For clarity, I support a European free trade agreement. I am opposed to the political union the EU has become.

The single currency is a bad idea.

While having notional short term benefits and allowing freer trade flow, it cripples smaller economies by taking away their controls over their monetary policy. This leads to a restrained disparity between the large and small economies, effectively storing up problems until the dam breaks and the small economies collapse. The exchange rate mechanism failed in the early 90s for the same reasons the Euro is failing now, yet the solution proposed was 'more europe, tighter integration, a combined monetary policy'. Now the Euro fails and the solution proposed is 'more europe, tighter integration, a combined fiscal policy'.

The sad truth is that to tie the peripheral economies to the northern european powerhouses means that a constant transfer of money from the center to the periphery in the form of bailouts and subsidies will be required. This will serve only to slow down the big economies and press the poorer ones deeper and deeper into debt, simultaneously destroying their economies through austerity measures which fail to address the core problem.

The Euro can only be saved by shedding the weak economies and leaving together the most similar core of powerful economies, which can reasonably function on a single monetary policy. It should only be saved if the populations of those countries demonstrate a clear preference for federal union, as that is the motive behind the euro project.

The Euro has created a clear divide in Europe between the countries recieveing bailouts, official and otherwise, and those bailing them out, and as the rise of facist and communist groups in Greece shows, this divide is dangerous and could turn very nasty.

The addition of the UK and the other 9 countries would have done little to help the inherently flawed notion of pegging the monetary policies of disparate economies together. We tried it with the ERM and it failed.

see above

The EU as a federal bloc requires a common currency. The EU as a trade organisation does not. Which one you feel the Eu should be seems to depend roughly on how much they pay you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

I add the caveat that neither is fit for purpose at the current time however there existence is a positive.

Yes.

It brings lower transaction costs, simplification across state borders and perhaps most importantly it brings stability via discouraging a run on the currency (the Euro currency has been fairly stable, it's the bonds which saw a run).

N/A

The Euro has not collapsed but if you are referring to why the crisis occurred then that was a combination of a lack of competitiveness, lack of fiscal discipline and a lack of collectivized debt (Euro-bonds).

In regards to competitiveness one of the advantages/disadvantages of a single currency area is that it forces a level playing field thus if you are competitive the relatively weak currency will amplify this whilst if you are not then the relatively strong currency will crush you. What we have seen is that countries that are export focused have done fine (Ireland and Germany for example) whilst countries dependent on their domestic economies have struggled post-crisis (Spain and Greece for example).

In regards to a lack of fiscal discipline we have to bear in mind that Ireland and Spain are unlucky to have large deficits because they were actually in surplus however both of these were pretty construction dependent which with the massive housing collapse screwed them over, this however would have still been the case outside the Euro. For nations like Greece and Portugal they simply overspent and are now rightfully paying the price for their actions. Italy is actually fairly safe in that it has a low deficit but has maintained high debt levels.

Euro-bonds would have rendered this crisis obsolete had they being in place because the Euro as a whole is relatively safe with a lower deficit and debt than the USA. The flip side however is that whilst the periphery would have lower bond yields, the core would have higher yields.

Yes.

Fiscal union will ensure that states cannot run deficits because budgets will be approved by the European Parliament.

Euro-bonds will ensure the crisis does not repeat however these should not be brought in until all members are in surplus.

Yes, only idiots think it should be left to die. Were the Euro to collapse then the Deutch-mark and Franc would appreciate at a massive rate, German exports would suffer a shock and French exports would be hit severely. These are two of the UK's largest trading partners and so whilst in the long term it may not be a disaster, in the short term that's probably another deep recession.

It puts the economy on a level playing field and sorts the winners from the losers so it's probably not fair from a lefty point of view but i think it's very fair. The measures alluded to earlier would prevent this being a problem however.

Yes. For the countries in trouble they are being forced to remodel their economies and increase productivity making them more competitive, with measures alluded to earlier there shouldn't be a problem. For Germany, France, Ireland and a number of other countries the Euro is to their advantage via artificially low exchange rates.

No way to tell.

Only if fiscal union and debt collectivization takes place, subject to a referendum of course.

Not really, no.

You should remember however the Eurozone and EU are designed to lead to the creation of a federal union.
    Don't see to many people pro euro and EU at the minute. The big question that always gets me even before a consider the economics of the EU and Euro is, is it democratic? I say completely not

So I just wonder as a pro, what your views are on the democratic side

edit: Will just say I do study economic at degree level, so do have an understanding
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseMunchies)
    Don't see to many people pro euro and EU at the minute. The big question that always gets me even before a consider the economics of the EU and Euro is, is it democratic? I say completely not

So I just wonder as a pro, what your views are on the democratic side

edit: Will just say I do study economic at degree level, so do have an understanding
    Well as i said at the start neither are fit for purpose for largely that reason so when i say i'm 'pro', i'm not suggesting that we jump in anytime soon. Only once adequate political and economic reform has taken place should it be considered (we certainly should not leave now though, there's nothing better on offer).

On the democratic side i think that firstly people have to understand the structure of the EU which most frankly don't. The commission is not a bunch of politicians doing what it likes, the commission actually takes its orders from the council which is made up of representatives from the national parliaments (1 country, 1 vote in here though). So in essence the ministers decide they want something done (bonus cap for example) then they simply instruct the commission who send it to the EP who are essentially a senate.

My personal beliefs are two main things...

1) The commission should be made up of MEP's along with an elected president

2) The role of the council and European Parliament should be switched so the Commission becomes the government of the EP, the EP becomes like our House Of Commons (initiates legislation) and then rather than a senate the council would have power of veto by way of a super-majority vote against.

The issue with those two proposals of course being that the EU would become a de facto federal state overnight (the benefits being that CAP for example would almost certainly be slashed by the EP since 80% of MEP's are not French and the EPP (European Peoples Party) is center-right).

I would add for the Eurozone criteria that the UK would need autonomy over its financial services for me to support entry however i'm sure if we were actually wanting to join that;s something they'd be willing to do (perhaps we'd have it for a certain number of years).

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.