Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm just about to sit my Standard Grades and Intermediates in about 2 months time and I'm also about to choose my subjects for 5th year. I'd like to take Computing, Geography and English at Higher, assuming I get the grades, of course. I also want to take Maths and Physics, but the problem is that while I'm doing Physics at Standard Grade Credit level, I'm only doing Maths at Int 1.
    I got 90%+ on both prelims for Maths and I'm expecting to get a 1/2 in Physics, but I'm wondering if I'd be at any disadvantage if I took Higher Physics in S5 when I would only be studying Nat. 5 Maths in S5, as I cannot take Higher Maths in S5? I'm hoping that my school will do a 1 year Nat. 5 course, so I could then go on to do Higher Maths in S6.
    Basically what I'm saying is:
    Would I be better to take Higher Physics AND Higher Maths in S6, not doing much, if any, Physics in S5 and assuming of course that I pass Nat. 5 Maths in S5 and it's a one-year course, OR could I take Nat. 5 Maths and Higher Physics in S5?
    I've feel that I could have coped with doing SG Maths in S3-S4, but since I paid little to no attention in Maths in S1-S2, and would never ask for help, I struggled with it and was put on the Int. 1 course.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Physics, as I struggled to understand it at first but gradually got the hang of it. I really like Maths though, and I'm looking forward to doing National 5 next year, and hopefully, Higher in S6, if I can.
    Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrRoss)
    Hi, I'm just about to sit my Standard Grades and Intermediates in about 2 months time and I'm also about to choose my subjects for 5th year. I'd like to take Computing, Geography and English at Higher, assuming I get the grades, of course. I also want to take Maths and Physics, but the problem is that while I'm doing Physics at Standard Grade Credit level, I'm only doing Maths at Int 1.
    I got 90%+ on both prelims for Maths and I'm expecting to get a 1/2 in Physics, but I'm wondering if I'd be at any disadvantage if I took Higher Physics in S5 when I would only be studying Nat. 5 Maths in S5, as I cannot take Higher Maths in S5? I'm hoping that my school will do a 1 year Nat. 5 course, so I could then go on to do Higher Maths in S6.
    Basically what I'm saying is:
    Would I be better to take Higher Physics AND Higher Maths in S6, not doing much, if any, Physics in S5 and assuming of course that I pass Nat. 5 Maths in S5 and it's a one-year course, OR could I take Nat. 5 Maths and Higher Physics in S5?
    I've feel that I could have coped with doing SG Maths in S3-S4, but since I paid little to no attention in Maths in S1-S2, and would never ask for help, I struggled with it and was put on the Int. 1 course.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Physics, as I struggled to understand it at first but gradually got the hang of it. I really like Maths though, and I'm looking forward to doing National 5 next year, and hopefully, Higher in S6, if I can.
    Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
    Doing Higher Physics without Higher Maths is almost definitely possible. Higher Physics relies on basic maths knowledge at most (I think the most you need from SG Maths in Higher Physics is the cosine and sine rule, and even then, it's optional.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFOMaster)
    Doing Higher Physics without Higher Maths is almost definitely possible. Higher Physics relies on basic maths knowledge at most (I think the most you need from SG Maths in Higher Physics is the cosine and sine rule, and even then, it's optional.)
    Yes completely agree. Higher Physics has its problem solving but if you're getting a 1/2 at SG then I'm sure you'll cope. There's a lot more theory right enough. But nothing in higher maths is really needed for higher physics. Maybe for advanced higher though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As long as you know hot to re arrange formulae with more than 3 variables then you should be okay in that side of things.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone 4s app.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.