Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    As a result of a very rebellious year in year 10, I was placed in Applied Science Double Award. I didn't really care or think of the consequences at the time. I got a B and a C with full marks in both coursework and my exam, along with a C in Maths and A* English. However now that I'm in year twelve and am looking into university and what courses I'd like to do, I think this might be a problem. I'd really like to do an Early Education degree, and then go on to teaching at a primary school level. One of the requirements of this course and teaching in general is at least a C at Science GCSE.
    Do you think my GCSE in Applied Science is considered an actual Science GCSE? And if not, what are my options? I'm really passionate about going down this path. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateislate)
    As a result of a very rebellious year in year 10, I was placed in Applied Science Double Award. I didn't really care or think of the consequences at the time. I got a B and a C with full marks in both coursework and my exam, along with a C in Maths and A* English. However now that I'm in year twelve and am looking into university and what courses I'd like to do, I think this might be a problem. I'd really like to do an Early Education degree, and then go on to teaching at a primary school level. One of the requirements of this course and teaching in general is at least a C at Science GCSE.
    Do you think my GCSE in Applied Science is considered an actual Science GCSE? And if not, what are my options? I'm really passionate about going down this path. Thank you!
    I thought it was compulsory for all schools to do the basics of maths, english and science. =l

Although, I would phone the universities themselves and see if they would allow it or not. I think applications for 2013 may have closed and if you get in, they would literally be scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    No offence.

So, if you apply next year, try and do your GCSE in science between now and August.
    ^ That is assuming they don't accept it, although, I am sure(ish) they will. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateislate)
    I can relate, I also did Applied Science at GCSE. I was quite disappointed with my result (AB) as I thought I was going to get A*A* without a problem, especially since my coursework was full marks. My only conclusion is that I spewed *******s on the exam . However, my school let me take A level Biology (with persuasion from my teacher), and I finished A2 with 5 A*'s (Biology, Economics, H&S, Geography, EPQ). Now, I have offers from UCL, KCL, Warwick, Exeter and Durham to study Law.

Applied Science is classified as a science, and is seen as one by universities. As Applied Science no longer exists (at least on OCR), most uni's will just recognise it as Double Science. Unless you want to study medicine (which requires A levels in Biol and Chem anyway), it won't effect your career choice. Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.