Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Anyone know anything about nasonex/steroidnasal sprays? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Along with antihistamine Ive been taking nasonex max dose 2 sprays twice a day (400mg daily) for 5 years to control nasal polyps and have read the side effects about it possible weakening the immune system. It advises to stay away from ppl with masels chickenpox but Ive started to work with children so just wondered how likely is it to weaken the immune system?

It it one of those things that nasonex have to put on the side effects to cover themselves or can a nasal spray really weaken the immune system?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a doctor but to be honest I don't think you need to worry much. Steroids can suppress the immune system a bit because they prevent the body making some of the chemicals it uses to fight pathogens and can stop the white blood cells working as well. However you're just taking a nasal spray which is designed to pretty much stay in the area you're spraying it, as opposed to taking it as a pill which would then work throughout the whole body because the steroids go into the blood. It is possible for drugs given as nasal sprays to be absorbed into the blood, but this is probably unlikely, especially if you've been using it for five years and haven't noticed anything.

ReputationRep:
    Because of the rich vasculature in the nasal cavity the potential for systemic effects would be quite high... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_administration

ReputationRep:
    I used to be on Nasonex and then was put on Avamys (which is amazing!) due to Vasomotor Rhinitis, and never had any problems when I was on it. I think you're only likely to be affected if you have a weakened immune system anyway from another medical problem. You should be OK working with children, but if you notice any change, go back and see your doctor.

Going slightly off the subject... How have you found being on Nasonex? When I was on it, I found that it didn't help whatsoever with my Rhinitis. My doctor prescribed Avamys and it is amazing! It's like I don't have Rhinitis anymore. No longer reaching for the tissues!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.