Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

To those of you who work at Waitrose / Got to the interview Stage ... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys , I realize what im asking may come across incredibly ridiculous considering if you dont pass the test you dont really fit the job but basically im in a bit of a pickle .

I really want a job at a place like Waitrose , and time and time again I have checked the job section of the JL & Waitrose partnership sight only to see there were no vacancies available , *sigh* it really got to me .

Last a week , whilst doing my daily job search I searched the Waitrose site for jobs in my area and to my suprise I noticed there was not one but TWO vacancies within a 10 mile radius . I was flabbergasted :eek: . I took advantage of this opportunity and took half the day typing up the absolute best answers possible whilst applying .

This is the part where I struggle , The Values Test really befuddles me as there are multiple types of answer that may suit the needs of the company as a whole . E.G they ask questions such as " you are completing Task A , your manager asks you to take up Task B as your employee is ill"
    Do you

A Tell your manager it is important that you finish your job so you continue what your doing and tell him you will do Task B later

B Agree to what your boss says because the boss is the boss and you follow what he says . You leave Task A unattended.

c Agree to what your boss says and ask another employee to finish Task A

Ok my example isn't as good as I attended but obviously C is the best answer is it not ? Team work is vital , as is dedication and being flexible , listening to your manager etc . I answered most of the values tool questions following these principles but in BOTH of my applications I failed to meet the levels required to get any further .

It is really irritating that they don't even give feedback so you have no idea where you could have gone wrong , some of the questions are really ambiguous and could be one of two answers.

Does anyone have any sort of guidelines they could provide me with to help me meet the standards needed ? I really , really want this job and I am willing to put in all the work , its just this hurdle that seems to be stopping me progress

ReputationRep:
    Give them an offer they can't refuse.

ReputationRep:
    Bump , Anyone ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, I don't know the answer. I think the problem with this question is that a lot of information is left out. The main thing missing is which is more urgent out of A and B. You also don't know if task A is something that can be left alone for a while, and if only a limited number of people can do tasks A and/or B.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for so many jobs at waitrose and i recently finally got a group interview and now a second interview. My application was the same each time, so i imagine the thing that ruined it most times was this test.
    Before i took it last time, I had spoken to a girl at my school who works at waitrose and she said that they care loads about customer service and stuff. So if a customer complains they pretty much just give them vouchers. Also remember to make it look like your keen to tackle every task given, your happy to take over time, you think the partnership is great etc. Thats what i did anyway.
    Sorry I can't be more help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BumbleB33)
    I applied for so many jobs at waitrose and i recently finally got a group interview and now a second interview. My application was the same each time, so i imagine the thing that ruined it most times was this test.
    Before i took it last time, I had spoken to a girl at my school who works at waitrose and she said that they care loads about customer service and stuff. So if a customer complains they pretty much just give them vouchers. Also remember to make it look like your keen to tackle every task given, your happy to take over time, you think the partnership is great etc. Thats what i did anyway.
    Thanks very much . Well done at getting to the 2nd stage !

ReputationRep:
    These tests are generally designed to test how you think, there isn't necessarily a right or wrong answer.

Personally I would choose option A. This shows that you are committed to complete the task you were initially responsible for, and willing to take on the other task as well. Teamwork sometimes means being flexible to take on extra work to help out others in difficult situations like this.

I can see why you would choose option C, but simply 'asking another employee' to finish your job is far easier said than done, they have their own tasks too and off-loading work onto other people doesn't look great.

I've been working for waitrose since June, happy to answer any other questions. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hello I just saw that you had a second interview at Waitrose and I was just wondering what it was like, as I have one soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nespix)
    Hello I just saw that you had a second interview at Waitrose and I was just wondering what it was like, as I have one soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope I'm not replying too late. Haven't been on here for a couple of days. But basically it was quite relaxing in all honesty. In my group interview I had a one on one interview with the PR person and she was quite scary. But the guy who did my second interview was a section manager and was really nice and now is one of my supervisors. Just make sure you have lots of questions to ask. I asked like five. About like uniform, possibility of overtime etc. also when they asked how long I would be hoping to work there for I said a year but then I asked if there was a possibility of a transfer to another branch when I go to uni, which I guess showed my interest in being part of the partnership. Anyway I think if you get to the second interview there is a high chance of getting a job. Ive now been working for waitrose like 2 months, and its great. So good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I hope I'm not replying too late. Haven't been on here for a couple of days. But basically it was quite relaxing in all honesty. In my group interview I had a one on one interview with the PR person and she was quite scary. But the guy who did my second interview was a section manager and was really nice and now is one of my supervisors. Just make sure you have lots of questions to ask. I asked like five. About like uniform, possibility of overtime etc. also when they asked how long I would be hoping to work there for I said a year but then I asked if there was a possibility of a transfer to another branch when I go to uni, which I guess showed my interest in being part of the partnership. Anyway I think if you get to the second interview there is a high chance of getting a job. Ive now been working for waitrose like 2 months, and its great. So good luck!!
    Thanks anyways I got offered the job 3 hours after my 2nd interview

Just wondering though...can you get a transfer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nespix)
    Thanks anyways I got offered the job 3 hours after my 2nd interview

Just wondering though...can you get a transfer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done!! Well it depends on whether people are needed at the branch you want to transfer to. But a girl at my branch just joined having transferred after uni finished. I think a lot of branches also let you come back and work for them in the holidays when you come back home, especially Christmas when it is hectic! It's worth speaking to an HR person at your branch about whether its possible for them to organise it for you as I imagine some don't.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.