Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Is it normal to wear your school shirt untucked/top button undone?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I'm getting constant grief from my mum cos i always go to school in the morning with my school shirt hanging out, top button undone and my tie loose (around 2nd/3rd button). I also wear a blazer and sometimes a jumper (though my shirt always hangs well below this!).

I'm in Y9 and tbh half of my school wear their shirts untucked anyway. Some of my teachers are cool about, others tell me off and i tuck it in then untuck it again when back in class. I always wear my blazer and wear proper school shoes so I dnt see the issue?!?

I cant comment for other schools, so how do you wear your uniform?? Shirt out/ tie loose? Hopefully I can prove this is a normal thing to do!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in 6th form n i wear a suit, you cant get away with top button undone without making you look like a top retard not that i'd do it anyway. Tbh for teachers its so much less hassle if you wear your uniform right its not even funny when a kid wastes half the lesson getting taught how to tuck his shirt in properly, and you wouldnt get away with it at work.

ReputationRep:
    Shirt tucked in; top button done; shirt pulled all the way up; ironed jumper; correctly-fitting blazer; shined shoes and buttons; clean-shaven; smart belt to hold up my trousers. Have some pride in your appearance for goodness' sake.

ReputationRep:
    I bet in Year 7 you tucked your shirt in, did your blazer up all good an' proper and had your tie ridiculously long so you wouldn't get told off for it being to short. You've changed, boy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes is it normal...

For a tosser!

ReputationRep:
    It depends what school you go to really. Some people on here probably went to schools with really strict uniform rules. When i was in my early years of secondary school i used to dress like that too (but with my shirt tucked in), purely because everyone did it. However when i got to year 10/11 i started doing my tie properly and only leaving the top button undone. I know people in your year probably think it looks 'cool' now, but trust me, when you get to 17/18 you will look back at old school photos and at the younger kids from your old secondary school and think "how could i leave my house dressing like that" :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    The norm in Secondary is shirt untucked/tip button done up and tie of a decent length. Don't go too far and have a tie thats wider than it is long, it'd effectively be a chode. When you get to sixth form you'll have to dress smartly, I'm sure it's not just my school where you get ripped for dressing like a year 10.

ReputationRep:
    For most school students, how you subvert your uniform is a huge part of how you express yourself and forge your identity. e.g. a lot of "cool" guys at my school tended to wear their trousers sagging so people could see their designer belts and boxers, the first girls to get cleavage used to unbutton their shirts to show it off a bit, and most girls also shortened their ties so it was tiny, don't know if this is a common trend... Also when I was in sixth form we all had shirts, ties, jumpers, blazers. A lot of us subverted the uniform with subtle differences, e.g. some guys had different shirts or people wore cardigans instead of jumpers, which was tolerated but not really allowed. Also, a lot of the sporty guys had sleeveless jumpers, and some of the preppy guys had branded jumpers, e.g. jack wills.

We didn't have any girls in sixth form and the local girls school didn't wear uniform at A-level so that's just a bit of insight into how my school tried to customise uniform...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I see what you're saying. I guess some people do it to be 'cool', but for me its just more comfortable, and yes i think it does look better. At the end of the day we're kids, so why would we want to dress like we're going to work?

I don't wear my tie short and fat like some people, it looks better longer, just loose with an open neck and the shirt untucked. And i don't think this is a 'chavvy' thing to do either, my school is in a middle class area and most my friends also prefer to leave their shirts untucked.. etc

Is there anyone in Y7-Y11 who does/did wear uniform like this? I could have sworn this was normal...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    I bet in Year 7 you tucked your shirt in, did your blazer up all good an' proper and had your tie ridiculously long so you wouldn't get told off for it being to short. You've changed, boy.
    And had a bag twice as big as his body, and ran to all his lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Well, when I was your age, I would wear my uniform properly because I wanted to look smart and presentable rather than looking like a complete idiot. Obviously, if it's hot then undo your top button (but not such that it makes you look like a tramp). I do remember people who used to dress as though they'd had their brains vacuummed out but some have been able to get brain implants and work out that looking smart is generally a good idea. In sixth form, we wear suits and so naturally, everyone looks smart regardless of top button is most cases. Obviously, shirt tuck in otherwise you'd look like a moron - who's wears a suit (i.e. to look smart) and then doesn't tuck in their shirt?

ReputationRep:
    depends how ghetto ur school is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albino)
    I'm in 6th form n i wear a suit, you cant get away with top button undone without making you look like a top retard not that i'd do it anyway. Tbh for teachers its so much less hassle if you wear your uniform right its not even funny when a kid wastes half the lesson getting taught how to tuck his shirt in properly, and you wouldnt get away with it at work.
    well that's kind of the teacher's fault if they think uniform is more important than education?

ReputationRep:
    yes it is normal at school, when you are older and at work it is not acceptable and hopefully you will have grown up by then, but at school it's no big deal if you don't mind putting up with the grief from teachers. pretty much everyone dresses like this at school, i have been to 3 different secondary schools including one uber uniform nazi school and everyone still looked like a mess. you are young and it's more comfortable.

i remember a common trend for all three schools: guys - untucked shirt, top button undone, lond/normal length tie (however they went for the short fat tie in yr7 which just looked gay)... girls - top button undone, short tie with fat knot (looked better on girls, girls don't even WEAR ties in the future so putting them on the uniform was ridiculous, even my DAD agreed! and he can be uptight) and shirt untucked, skirt of course rolled up. if wearing trousers, they were as tight as possible (one of my schools had a blitz on this, i remember we had an "emergency assembly" which was just a way of getting us all togther, then they checked everyones uniform and all girls wearing tight skinny trousers were given serious warnings, letters sent home, detentions and told to buy new trousers on threat of additional detentions... luckily i never bought into this trend)

also in general around the years 7-9, maybe even 10, you were really teased if you had tucked in shirt, top button and "peanut" tie.

ReputationRep:
    When I was at school I went through a stage of wearing my uniform like you, and then I realised I looked stupid so I decided to smarten up a bit. Honestly, you will look back on yourself in a few years time and laugh at yourself for doing this. I understand that everyone is doing it, but nothing looks worse than not wearing smart clothes properly.

ReputationRep:
    We have polo shirt untucked with top button undone and no tie

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At my school from year seven onwards if you dared have that top button done up you were mocked mercilessly for days on end. So yeah, no one ever did that. Ever. And shirt tucked in? I can't even imagine a kid doing that.

(I go to a rough comprehensive - if you don't, you'll be fine I'm sure).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theterminator)
    Well, when I was your age, I would wear my uniform properly because I wanted to look smart and presentable rather than looking like a complete idiot. Obviously, if it's hot then undo your top button (but not such that it makes you look like a tramp). I do remember people who used to dress as though they'd had their brains vacuummed out but some have been able to get brain implants and work out that looking smart is generally a good idea. In sixth form, we wear suits and so naturally, everyone looks smart regardless of top button is most cases. Obviously, shirt tuck in otherwise you'd look like a moron - who's wears a suit (i.e. to look smart) and then doesn't tuck in their shirt?
    Obviously someone went private school. :rofl:

Come to a run down secondary school like my old one and see if you'll be saying the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Idk why everyone says the dicks do this or whatever. Every person i know and every surrounding school had their shirts untucked from year7-11 ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D affy)
    Idk why everyone says the dicks do this or whatever. Every person i know and every surrounding school had their shirts untucked from year7-11 ..
    welcome to TSR my friend. not your average person.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.