Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Been robbed, lost trust :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    Jeez you need to man up also if you weren't so poor/such a pikey to wouldn't affect you so much. I got my bike stolen at uni and it was worth £400.
    Wow. Not everyone has money growing from our noses. How about showing respect to people despite wealth differences?

ReputationRep:
    A university where you have to leave personal affects outside like children?

Wallets, Money etc should be on you at all times.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    no they wont...

Thats the harsh truth 90% of the time they wont be caught
    They will do it again and again - and they will be caught.

If they're not caught this time, they'll be caught another time.

I watch too many cop shows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    They will do it again and again - and they will be caught.

If they're not caught this time, they'll be caught another time.

I watch too many cop shows.
    If they don't get desperate or careless they could continue without getting caught.

ReputationRep:
    How madderning
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    If they don't get desperate or careless they could continue without getting caught.
    Even the slyest and most sophisticated scams do get caught out eventually. They can be so careful in all their planning but maybe ten or twenty or thirty years down the line, they get caught.

ReputationRep:
    Even the slyest and most sophisticated scams do get caught out eventually. They can be so careful in all their planning but maybe ten or twenty or thirty years down the line, they get caught.
    Good thing undergraduate uni doesn't last longer than 3/4 years, then
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    Good thing undergraduate uni doesn't last longer than 3/4 years, then
    Criminals may be careful planning but in one incident, they put one toe out of line and get caught.

Even if they don't get caught in the next few years, the wallet and phone should be in your own pocket and even then, beware of pickpockets as well.

Edit: The 10-30 years is for the most sophisticated crime groups in the world who practise fraud from their basements. Not petty thieves who stole from the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Even if they don't get caught in the next few years, the wallet and phone should be in your own pocket and even then, beware of pickpockets as well.
    Thank you, Great Leader. I will engrave this command into my flesh with my bare hands as proof of my devotion to your wisdom and Greatness.

Do you have any particular source of all this knowledge other than the aformentioned cop reality TV?

ReputationRep:
    Good to read the university are changing their security policy. Having had our house broken into in our third year of Uni, I'm now overly cautious with my possessions so I'd be wary of leaving my bag in a corridor.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, Great Leader. I will engrave this command into my flesh with my bare hands as proof of my devotion to your wisdom and Greatness.

Do you have any particular source of all this knowledge other than the aformentioned cop reality TV?
    Personal experience. I have met people who are petty thieves - all of them got caught at some point. They were careful planners - every single detail was planned in advance with contingency plans. Still got caught.

Edit: It's not about getting caught or not. If they do get arrested, then what?

It's more about being careful next time so I decided to give the age old advice to finish it. Criminals do get caught when they repeatedly do it over a long period of time. If this is a one off occurrence, maybe they got away with it for life. Or maybe not. Maybe their guilt will eat them alive. Or maybe not.

I say they will get caught, assuming that they will do it multiple times in the next few years and will eventually get caught by mistepping a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I feel so sorry for you. That must be so frustrating.

<3 x

ReputationRep:
    Personal experience. I have met people who are petty thieves - all of them got caught at some point. They were careful planners - every single detail was planned in advance with contingency plans. Still got caught.
    Perhaps for every petty thief you met that was later caught there were 20 who remained unmet and undetected

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for that to happen to you

I had £20 note stolen from my purse in my bag (change was still there) at a small house party a few years ago. Like you I left my bag in a pile and thought because I knew most people there then it would be safe - wrong, and I am more careful with my valuables now!

I also know what you mean about knowing someone went through your stuff too, it's a horrible feeling.

Unfortunately they are unlikely to get caught, and although you have your suspicions (like I did), there is no way to prove it. But if they are on your course at least they will have to deal with the guilt shame with you all talking about them!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps for every petty thief you met that was later caught there were 20 who remained unmet and undetected
    I was being optimistic in thinking that they will repeatedly offend like there's no tomorrow and then get caught out of line. Maybe this is a one off for these criminals and they would not do it again.

There is a lot of "maybes" in this situation. Nothing is certain what will happen to these criminals.

ReputationRep:
    We're talking about petty, opportunist theft here. Not a bank robbery. It is much harder to foil something so sporadic as opportunist thievery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    We're talking about petty, opportunist theft here. Not a bank robbery. It is much harder to foil something so sporadic as opportunist thievery.
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    I honestly don't think so - if they do it many times.

@SecretDuck This is a one off occurrence - it probably will never happen again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    (although if it is someone from our course and they come forwards to admit it, we've decided as a group we'll put in a complaint and hope to get them kicked off the course because once that trust has gone, we can't possibly be able to perform with them again - so much emphasis is placed on trust).
    Have people on other courses reported any thefts? If not, then the thief must be in your group and now knows not to own up :eek: Also if they're smart enough to only take non-traceable stuff, I bet they would be smart enough to pretend that they too had money stolen from them so that no one would suspect them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JulietheCat)
    This is a one off occurrence - it probably will never happen again
    How are you in any position to say this?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.