The Student Room Group

Do you admit to littering?!

Hi, I was really annoyed today to be given a detention for dropping a crisp packet on the floor at lunchtime in school. Its not something ive ever been caught doing before, but theres lots of wrappers etc on the school field and i know some/most of my friends drop litter..

So i really wanted to open up the question - do you admit to dropping litter? Have you seen any of your friends/family drop stuff on the floor? Have you ever littered at lunchtime, before/after school?

Tbh, obviously i know its a bad habit and you shouldnt do it etc. But i dont mind admitting to littering stuff like crisp packets, snack wrappers etc when there's no bin around (which there never is), especially on my way home from school. Most of my friends in my year are the same. It's not like we're trying to act 'cool' or 'hard', its just a convenient thing to do and a habit - im an untidy guy anyway! It'd be good to know your thoughts..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by UsmaanB
Hi, I was really annoyed today to be given a detention for dropping a crisp packet on the floor at lunchtime in school. Its not something ive ever been caught doing before, but theres lots of wrappers etc on the school field and i know some/most of my friends drop litter..

So i really wanted to open up the question - do you admit to dropping litter? Have you seen any of your friends/family drop stuff on the floor? Have you ever littered at lunchtime, before/after school?

Tbh, obviously i know its a bad habit and you shouldnt do it etc. But i dont mind admitting to littering stuff like crisp packets, snack wrappers etc when there's no bin around (which there never is), especially on my way home from school. Most of my friends in my year are the same. It's not like we're trying to act 'cool' or 'hard', its just a convenient thing to do and a habit - im an untidy guy anyway! It'd be good to know your thoughts..

I think it's really lazy and inconsiderate to litter. Sorry to sound harsh - but how hard is it to pop the wrapper in your pocket until you get home? You say it's "convenient". Leaving it on the streets creates a mess, means people have to work to clean it up, can be dangerous to animals, attracts pests... The list goes on.

I can honestly say I don't litter. If I drop something by accident, I will pick it up straight away. Not doing so just seems pretty inconsiderate - and I'd feel like a hypocrite if I moaned about the state of the streets if I littered, too.

Just my personal opinion.
:dontknow:
Original post by UsmaanB

Hmm. It does irritate me that some people feel it's ok to litter. Ok so you're allowed to litter, that means I am too. So if we all drop something then not long and we'll all be swimming in our own ****. Nice.
Reply 3
Personally, I don't litter, some of my friends do though. :smile:
I don't litter, and if I saw a friend doing it, I'd tell them to pick whatever it was up. It isn't hard to put whatever wrapper you've got in your pocket until you get home. You're just lazy.
I don't litter. How freaking lazy do you have to be, come on. "Everyone does it!" is only an excuse for five year olds, and your attitude seems to be "if I don't get caught, it's ok" :sigh:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by UsmaanB

Hehe :P
But seriously, don't litter. Anyone who litters has a clear disrespect for everyone else who may be/will be in that particular area and also various types of litter each have their respective damage of the social, economic and ecological environment around them. In my opinion, I think they should copy Singapore on this matter - try littering there and you'd wish you had starved yourself a little bit longer rather than eating and subsequently littering...
Reply 7
Yeah I see your points, but tbh i picked it up from my friends from about Y7 time, i always used to walk home with my mate and he would always throw packets and wrappers in the bushes etc along the cut-through behind the park, so i started to do the same. You pick up habits from your mates often. its a bit messy yeah, but then teenages are messy!

Obviously most of you are dead against it, but i would say a good half of my year would openly admit to littering, and i dont in any way go to a rough high school, its very middle class.

Surely some of you must do it / have friends that drop litter? Maybe its something you grow out of .. i dunno.
Original post by UsmaanB
Yeah I see your points, but tbh i picked it up from my friends from about Y7 time, i always used to walk home with my mate and he would always throw packets and wrappers in the bushes etc along the cut-through behind the park, so i started to do the same. You pick up habits from your mates often. its a bit messy yeah, but then teenages are messy!

Obviously most of you are dead against it, but i would say a good half of my year would openly admit to littering, and i dont in any way go to a rough high school, its very middle class.

Surely some of you must do it / have friends that drop litter? Maybe its something you grow out of .. i dunno.

Stop making excuses for yourself with other people. And no, no one I know does it, probably because they know it's an inconsiderate and damaging thing to do and that it takes little to no effort not to do it. And yeah, most people grow up/out of that attitude.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by UsmaanB

Last time I checked humans have the mental capacity to make decisions independently of one another.

It is also not a childhood ailment you grow out of, it's an attitude.
Reply 10
Original post by UsmaanB

I've honestly not littered since I was like, 13 or something and actually put thought into it. Either someone else will have to pick it up, which is inconsiderate, or noone will and, if it's not biodegradable, then it could injure an animal. It's also unpleasant to look at. The only things I will chuck in the woods or whatever is apple cores/banana peels, etc, as they're biodegradable and some animals might munch on them. Maybe take the detention as a wake-up call.

I know it's one of those things that parents say, but if everyone did it, the place would literally be disgusting.
Tbh littering is my biggest pet peeve, it's disgusting, lazy and completely unnecessary.
Wow, OP is a pretty big SLOB.
It's so lazy to litter and shows a really bad attitude. It's really not hard to put it in the bin.

EDIT: People who drop chewing gum are the worst! :mad:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks OP, you are the reason everywhere looks like absolute ****. :mad:
No because I don't litter and neither should anyone else. Its good to keep the place tidy.
Not unless its unavoidable (plastic cups at a gig, accidentally letting go of a bag on a windy day and it being blown away) The only exception is I would throw an apple core or banana skin into a bush as it will rot down and feed the soil anyway... i wouldn't just drop it on the ground.

I will admit I have been lazy in the past and done it, but as a rule, I don't
Mum used to flip her lid if myself or my brothers littered when we were children, so no I never do it now.
Reply 18
No, No and No. Stop littering. Carry your rubbish until you find a bin, or put it in your bag. Wrap it up if its like an Apple of something.

Everytime I go back to my flat (I live in a tiny terrace, where there is 4 houses) my front door ALWAYS has crisp packets ect outside where it has been blowing around for god knows long!
Reply 19
I hate litter. It's disgusting. Do you not have pockets? Do you not have hands?

Original post by UsmaanB
It's not like we're trying to act 'cool' or 'hard', its just a convenient thing to do and a habit - im
an untidy guy anyway! It'd be good to know your thoughts..

Oh that's alright then, if it's convenient for you why not just throw your litter on the ground and let someone else pick it up for you. Hopefully you'll grow out of that attitude. It doesn't matter if your friends do it or there's lots of litter already there, it shows a complete disregard for other people and the environment.

You're right, you shouldn't have been given a detention. You should have been given a £80 fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending