Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

are all placebo pills made from sugar? Watch

I'm on a "prescription drug" but I'm wondering if it's real or if it's a placebo. I snapped it in half and tasted the inside but it doesn't taste of sugar, so what I'm wondering is are all placebo drugs made from sugar or do they make them from other stuff too?

ReputationRep:
    What. Why would your prescription drug be a placebo?

ReputationRep:
    Is it medicine that you get often that usually helps but this time not so much? Because this happened to me once and I figured it could be because the manufacturing process was screwed up or something.

ReputationRep:
    They don't prescribe placebos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    They don't prescribe placebos.
    You can get placebo contraceptive pills for your 7 day break

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're doing a medical trial or something then I highly doubt it's a placebo. Imagine the uproar if people had been prescribed placebos and then died from the illness, or if people found out they had been paying like 8 quid for a placebo. There's no way any drug companies or GPs would risk that.

(Original post by Elwyn)
    What. Why would your prescription drug be a placebo?
    It's for "mental illness". But I figure they want to kill me not treat me. If they prescribe a placebo then in the state I'm in it's likely sooner or later I will kill myself which is exactly what they want. If they gave me a real drug I might feel ok and not kill myself which isn't what they want. It didn't actually taste of anything which is pretty suspicious in itself I think, when you think how gross most medications taste it seems odd that I'd get one that tastes of nothing. Sugar would be too obvious I guess that's why I'm asking.

ReputationRep:
    No. Pill binder is tastless a placebo wouldnt taste sweet.

Stop worrying though, I doubt it is a placebo.

ReputationRep:
    1. why is OP anon?
    2. why would a placebo be prescribed in normal conditions (outside of clinical trials)?
    3. why would you mess around with meds?
    4. placebos normally do have some sort of sugar component.

ReputationRep:
    OP - if you've been properly prescribed it (not a medical trial), then they cannot give you a placebo.

"If they prescribe a placebo then in the state I'm in it's likely sooner or later I will kill myself which is exactly what they want."

You state yourself that you need the medication. They cannot prescribe a placebo, even if they did want to kill you. (That everyone involved would want to kill you is impossible, that a single person could want to kill you and manage to do it without anyone else noticing has the same probability that you will be given £1,000 by a random man dressed as a banana within the next five minutes).

We can therefore logically conclude...
    1. You need the medication.
    2. It is genuine medication.
    3. The medication is to treat you, not kill you.

Getting over the anxiety may be easier said than done of course, but hopefully knowing that the medication is real will go someway to help with that.

ReputationRep:
    It won't be a placebo. If you feel like it's not working for you, go and see your doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's for "mental illness". But I figure they want to kill me not treat me. If they prescribe a placebo then in the state I'm in it's likely sooner or later I will kill myself which is exactly what they want. If they gave me a real drug I might feel ok and not kill myself which isn't what they want. It didn't actually taste of anything which is pretty suspicious in itself I think, when you think how gross most medications taste it seems odd that I'd get one that tastes of nothing. Sugar would be too obvious I guess that's why I'm asking.
    Your illness is making you paranoid.

Not all medication works the same for everyone. How long have you been on this one, you might need to give it longer... If you don't feel its working after 8 weeks, go back to your doctor and try something different.

Medication might have a placebo effect, in that it works more effectively if you believe it will work, but thats not the same as it being a placebo that does nothing. It can also have the reverse effect... if you believe it won't work and that the doctors are trying to kill you, you will convince yourself that this is the case when it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Fun fact: The colour of the pill affects the strength of the placebo

Idk :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Name of said prescribed drug...?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.