Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Can I get some opinions on the new Simcity? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am quite a fan of Simcity and have been playing since I got SC3K at the age of 8! I wanted to see what others thought about the game as there has been a divide in reviews.
    Is the EA, Origin, always on DRM that bad?
    Is it worth the £40?

Thanks Guys

ReputationRep:
    From what I heard, I'd wait a few weeks for the servers to die down a little and for the price to drop as well. Because £40 for most PC games is well...not on.

ReputationRep:
    The game is unplayable at the moment. Save your money.

ReputationRep:
    ALWAYS ON DRM SUCKS!

Just don't buy the game,

You don't own the save files
    the AI is good but very buggy
    The game requires you to be online
    It's ridiculously overpriced
    There is a forced multiplayer aspect
    the game requires you to be online
    EA can shut down the servers at any time rendering the game unplayable!

I'm never buying a always online DRM game ever. Besides, some guy will probably release a crack that allows you to play the game offline anyway so why do EA even bother...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    ALWAYS ON DRM SUCKS!

Just don't buy the game,

You don't own the save files
    the AI is good but very buggy
    The game requires you to be online
    It's ridiculously overpriced
    There is a forced multiplayer aspect
    the game requires you to be online
    EA can shut down the servers at any time rendering the game unplayable!

I'm never buying a always online DRM game ever. Besides, some guy will probably release a crack that allows you to play the game offline anyway so why do EA even bother...
    they probably wont be able to - all simulation is done server-side, so it will be next to impossible without a leaked copy of server binary data.

I think they're trying to shift away from people spending days solo, so you can play "solo" in a private region, or get a few friends together and reach "end-game" in a decent evening playing.

I'm holding judgement on it 100% until I receive the game - not released until tomorrow in UK - and will form a better opinion.

got some peeps to play in a massive region with vent etc so hoping it's going to be fun.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but the thing is that people are sheep, and so people will buy it, then game companies will think it's a good idea to have always online DRM or to have microtransactions within paid games!. The whole PC industry is going in a direction which means that people can pay to win, you have to have an internet connection to play a game that will be shut down when the new one comes out anyway.

I can go and buy a copy of the original Sim City that came out about 20 years ago and still play it... Won't be able to do that with the new Sim City. Plus you don't own your save files, you can't load a game or anything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderton)
    they probably wont be able to - all simulation is done server-side, so it will be next to impossible without a leaked copy of server binary data.
    So they say .

ReputationRep:
    Do not buy it yet.

Impossible to get onto a server at the moment and they've had to disable a load of features anyway. If it's been bad the past couple of days imagine how bad it's going to be over the weekend :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottish Shinigami)
    I am quite a fan of Simcity and have been playing since I got SC3K at the age of 8! I wanted to see what others thought about the game as there has been a divide in reviews.
    Is it worth the £40?

Thanks Guys
    And you can it cheaper than £40.

Just buy a hard copy off Zavi, I managed to get mine for £25 + postage and packaging.

ReputationRep:
    Should be called SimCulDeSac

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth the £40?

Thanks Guys
    Current issues faced by SimCity (these are not my own opinions but those commonly expressed).

Always on DRM means that those with a shaky internet connection will have trouble experiencing the game to its fullest, even in its original, single-player format. EA and Maxis have attempted to this security measure by justifying SimCity as an inherently multiplayer; something it has never been. A number of issues have cropped up because of this design choice:

Launch day for SimCity faced a number of problems for EA servers which strained under the weight of extensive user load. This caused arbitrary wait times for those wishing to log on of roughly half an hour. Some players reported that the client simply crashed following this imposed timeout.

The current status of servers has not improved, with instability still being experienced by many users. As a result, Amazon.com has received numerate complaints (at present 1,218. Note that some 'favourable' star reviews are often satirical.

The situation has reached the point whereby Amazon.com was forced to remove the listing for a period of time.

As the game operates under an always-on connection, the possibility of the game being viable or playable for a number of years may not be a reality (as is currently the case with older iterations of the game, some of which currently enjoy over a decade's worth of play time. This is due to EA's consistency in retiring servers which function with online or multiplayer games, some as recently as 2 months prior (notably, the Sims 2)

The has a number of day 1 DLC content. This may not a seem a problem but to explain; if the content is available for purchase on the day of launch, then it is therefore ready for the game. In effect then, what developers have done (as opposed to usual DLC which is released several months after the fact) is slice off parts of the game and sell them for a profit instead of packaging the game as a complete whole. In addition to this, SimCity features - apparently - a microtransaction service.

Traditionally, the SimCity franchise allowed for extensive modification by game enthusiasts. The newest iteration implements much of its calculations server-side, hence rendering any significant attempt at modification useless, although no sources exist to verify or deny this claim. Maxis have commented that modifications will be permitted but have not stipulated in what form. It is believed by some that if calculations are executed server-side, then all that remains are cosmetic, superficial modifications, such as new tilesets, sprites or skins. It is interesting to note that SimCity has marketed its regional pack DLC which contains a variety of new tilesets, sprites or skins (and some limited additional functional buildings) for £64.99 or £24.99 above the base RRP, or your regional equivalent.

There are, of course, more complaints regarding the game but these are primarily to do with user choice and preference and hence should be highlighted by users who have played or are playing the current or previous iterations. For more information, please read reviews. At present, the game holds a 76 metacritic reviewer rating and a 1.6 user rating. In addition, the following video by TotalBiscuit or the CynicalBrit may be useful for you in highlighting the pitfalls and positives of this game.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh but the thing is that people are sheep, and so people will buy it, then game companies will think it's a good idea to have always online DRM or to have microtransactions within paid games!. The whole PC industry is going in a direction which means that people can pay to win, you have to have an internet connection to play a game that will be shut down when the new one comes out anyway.

I can go and buy a copy of the original Sim City that came out about 20 years ago and still play it... Won't be able to do that with the new Sim City. Plus you don't own your save files, you can't load a game or anything...
    :yep: As much as I want to play it, I'd rather not show 'support' for this business model by buying it. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    :yep: As much as I want to play it, I'd rather not show 'support' for this business model by buying it. :/
    I have a sneaky feeling that EA is going to be removing always on very soon.

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth the £40?

Thanks Guys
    Believe me. Always-on DRM is really that bad. Origin is a nightmare to navigate and EA don't care what people think.

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth the £40?

Thanks Guys
    Just play the older ones. They're just as good, unless you want to pay a lot of money for curvy roads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    Current issues faced by SimCity (these are not my own opinions but those commonly expressed).

Always on DRM means that those with a shaky internet connection will have trouble experiencing the game to its fullest, even in its original, single-player format. EA and Maxis have attempted to this security measure by justifying SimCity as an inherently multiplayer; something it has never been. A number of issues have cropped up because of this design choice:

Launch day for SimCity faced a number of problems for EA servers which strained under the weight of extensive user load. This caused arbitrary wait times for those wishing to log on of roughly half an hour. Some players reported that the client simply crashed following this imposed timeout.

The current status of servers has not improved, with instability still being experienced by many users. As a result, Amazon.com has received numerate complaints (at present 1,218. Note that some 'favourable' star reviews are often satirical.

The situation has reached the point whereby Amazon.com was forced to remove the listing for a period of time.

As the game operates under an always-on connection, the possibility of the game being viable or playable for a number of years may not be a reality (as is currently the case with older iterations of the game, some of which currently enjoy over a decade's worth of play time. This is due to EA's consistency in retiring servers which function with online or multiplayer games, some as recently as 2 months prior (notably, the Sims 2)

The has a number of day 1 DLC content. This may not a seem a problem but to explain; if the content is available for purchase on the day of launch, then it is therefore ready for the game. In effect then, what developers have done (as opposed to usual DLC which is released several months after the fact) is slice off parts of the game and sell them for a profit instead of packaging the game as a complete whole. In addition to this, SimCity features - apparently - a microtransaction service.

Traditionally, the SimCity franchise allowed for extensive modification by game enthusiasts. The newest iteration implements much of its calculations server-side, hence rendering any significant attempt at modification useless, although no sources exist to verify or deny this claim. Maxis have commented that modifications will be permitted but have not stipulated in what form. It is believed by some that if calculations are executed server-side, then all that remains are cosmetic, superficial modifications, such as new tilesets, sprites or skins. It is interesting to note that SimCity has marketed its regional pack DLC which contains a variety of new tilesets, sprites or skins (and some limited additional functional buildings) for £64.99 or £24.99 above the base RRP, or your regional equivalent.

There are, of course, more complaints regarding the game but these, are primarily to do with user choice and preference and hence should be highlighted by users who have played or are playing the current or previous iterations. For more information, please read reviews. At present, the game holds a 76 metacritic reviewer rating and a 1.6 user rating. In addition, the following video by TotalBiscuit or the CynicalBrit may be useful for you in highlighting the pitfalls and positives of this game.

Hope that helps.
    Yep, everything that you've said is exactly whats wrong with this game and others. Plus EA have now refused to refund people who couldn't play the game on day 1 due to the servers being overloaded. Absolutely terrible. I'm all for non refundable games once its been downloaded. But if you can't play the game or access the game in any way.... well that's a different matter.

Plus the fact that you can't mod the game, save the game play the game without internet and th fact there is day one dlc etc... has really made me not want to touch this at all.

found a video which covers half the stuff i covered, you think this guy is angry, he hasn't covered half of it-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHp91aqWB7M

ReputationRep:
    Yep, everything that you've said is exactly whats wrong with this game and others. Plus EA have now refused to refund people who couldn't play the game on day 1 due to the servers being overloaded. Absolutely terrible. I'm all for non refundable games once its been downloaded. But if you can't play the game or access the game in any way.... well that's a different matter.

Plus the fact that you can't mod the game, save the game play the game without internet and th fact there is day one dlc etc... has really made me not want to touch this at all.

found a video which covers half the stuff i covered, you think this guy is angry, he hasn't covered half of it-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHp91aqWB7M
    Procrastinators unite? :P

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth the £40?

Thanks Guys
    Like someone above said, pickup an older one, i.e. SimCity 4 for less than 10 bucks on Steam. I have never seen a game get as much bad press as the new SimCity.

ReputationRep:
    EA have tried to do damage control by releasing a video about gay rights which has backfired and got such negative feedback due to the blatent use of the video.

There are a number of petitions with over 50,000 signatures on to try and get EA to stop this.

@darryshan, huh???

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Just wow. This topic prompted me to actually look into how the game is doing at release, and all I can say is...wow. Repeatedly, apparently. I fully expected this game to be a catastraphe for the Sim City franchise but the extent of its implosion on day 1...wow. Never seen a cross-profile of ratings on Amazon that looks that bad.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.