Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Of mice and men controlled assessment. what grade so far? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Explore the ways in which Steinbeck shows the four characters in chapter four to be weak. How does this effect the way they react to each other?

Iv just started.

In chapter 4,John Steinbeck gives us an indication about the low superiority of black people during the early 19th century, and how racially abused they were. Crooks, a negro who works at the ranch is reminded by Curleys Wife to never step out of line, or she will have him 'strung up on a tree'. The brutality of this image emphasizes the furiosity and wrath that is raging through Curley's wife, because of how humiliated she feels for being bossed around and told off by a 'coloured man'. As much as this makes her feel compelling, proud and respected, it equally (If not more) deprives Crook's hope for an American Dream with George, Lennie and Candy, and deprives the diminutive power he experiences while 'torturing' Lennie and raising his voice to Curley's Wife.

I got a D in my mock on this, and the C/A is in two days and I'm worried I won't do well because all my other C/A are at a A*-A grade.

What do I need to improve and what grade would you say this is at (so far)?

Thank you.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how we're meant to give an accurate judgement given only 130 words. You've integrated quotes well into your analysis and it sounds sophisticated, although I can't really comment on the content since I haven't studied the book in depth. One thing I would say is you definitely need an introduction. Never go straight into the analysis.

ReputationRep:
    The part where you talk about how she will have crooks "hung up on a tree" is pretty good and you can link that specifically to a historical context of the KKK where they used to hang black men and torture, whip, lynch and mob them.
    You need to pick out a specific quote and write in detail about it. It's like your listing it with little evaluation at the moment.
    Again "strung up on the tree" also symbolizes how she wants to play him like a puppet-master and take control and talk about what that shows...

ReputationRep:
    I have done the C/A and got band 5 26/30, but it may go up because my teacher is a very harsh marker !!!! =D

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Majeee97)
    I have done the C/A and got band 5 26/30, but it may go up because my teacher is a very harsh marker !!!! =D

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What was your title on?
    And how many pages you do? (I'm aiming for 28/30) tall order I suppose but I shall give it my best shot.
    Also if your doing the literature exam would you like to trade notes (I can type them up) (I'm doing OMAM and Inspector Calls)

ReputationRep:
    It was about power of conflict in chapter four. I still have most of my draft with me if you would like it.

Also I'm doing OMAN and an inspector calls lol so yeah I would love to trade notes to get a better grade =)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.