Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Contraceptive Implant. Watch

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend recently had the contraceptive implant.
    Ive been as supportive as I can, but I have heard many horror stories about side effects, getting it removed and failing to work. Im very skeptical about the whole thing.

I was hoping for some reassurance, personal stories and general information about the implant?

Anything to make me (and her) feel positive about the situation!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weevle)
    My girlfriend recently had the contraceptive implant.
    Ive been as supportive as I can, but I have heard many horror stories about side effects, getting it removed and failing to work. Im very skeptical about the whole thing.

I was hoping for some reassurance, personal stories and general information about the implant?

Anything to make me (and her) feel positive about the situation!

Hey,

Don't have much to input myself as only know friends on the implant, though no horror stories from them apart from the 'pain' of having it inserted.

If you're in a mood for reading then we have an extensive wiki page on the contraceptive implant which you can find here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...eptive_Implant also includes people's experiences with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Hey,

Don't have much to input myself as only know friends on the implant, though no horror stories from them apart from the 'pain' of having it inserted.

If you're in a mood for reading then we have an extensive wiki page on the contraceptive implant which you can find here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...eptive_Implant also includes people's experiences with it
    This was helpful, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    My experience on the implant has been amazing. I said to myself I would never have it put in because people told me about bleeding the whole year they were on the implant non stop etc. I had trouble with my periods and was on various pills for 4 years but I was more worried about the pill not working. I did still have a lot of bleeding on the pill. I had the implant put in at the beginning of december. Since then I've bled lightly for a week and haven't had a period since. The bleeding was so light I could barely feel it and I had no painful cramps etc. I do find sometimes every month I eat a little bit more and suspect this is the time of the month I'm supposed to have bleeding, I just get hungry instead, but hey I'd rather feel hungry than have periods. My experience so far has been really good and I think I'm one of the lucky ones. I have also had sex on the implant without condoms and haven't fallen pregnant it seems to be one of the best contraceptives out there.

ReputationRep:
    well its hard to say i had mine done just after i had a baby, so is it the baby or the implant who knows. i certainly dont feel as "eager" as i was before. still no periods to worry about so im general im very happy, just takes a little more to get int he swing but i have a loving husband for that

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.